Hibernation wakeup hangs

mrinne

Hi, All!

Here's something that goes clearly beyond my debugging skills. I hope someone can suggest something helpful.

System info (probably mostly irrelevant to the problem, but you never know): AMD Athlon 3500+ processor, MSI K8N Neo4 motherboard, Display NX6600-VTD256EH, Nvidia display drivers, 1 Gb memory, Technisat AirStar PCI-card. Using XP Home SP2, Cyberlink drivers (they worked best), newest DirectX, overlay mixer. Until today I was using the latest release version of DVBViewer. Today I replaced it with the latest beta, but that had no influence on the problem. I have video recorder and netstream plugins, but am not using either one at the moment.

The system was working reasonably well itself after a clean boot; going into hibernation, waking up to record a timed program, and hibernating itself again. I normally log in before hibernating, as this gives me easier control over DVBViewer when it runs on timer.

Then, I added a third hard drive. 320GB Seagate with a SATA2 interface and 3Gb/s transfer speed. The motherboard supports 4 SATA2:s, so this connects directly to the motherboard. The drive got configured as letter "K" and I assigned it as one partition with NTFS file system.

After adding the hard drive, the following happens:

1) Startup - normal

2) Hibernation - normal

3) Wakeup (timer or manual) - normal

4) DVBViewer recording & exit - normal

5) Automatic hibernation - normal

6) Next wakeup - hibernation file loads, after which PC hangs with a black screen. No login-screen is displayed, F8 doesn't work, CTRL-ALT-DEL doesn't work. Scheduled DVBViewer recordings don't take place. After forced power-off, and deleting the hibernation file, the system starts normally.

I've tried to debug what I can:

a) If DVBViewer doesn't run, I can hibernate and wakeup as many times as I want - no problem.

B) If I disconnect the new drive (and I'm left with two hard drives) the problem disappears and everything works again (can wakeup - record - hibernate as many times as I want).

c) The new drive seems to work without any glitches, also with DVBViewer.

d) If I enable boot logging, normal hibernation wakeup logs three driver loads (seem to be bluetooth drivers - unrelated) into ntbtlog.txt. A crashed wakeup doesn't log anything (i.e. it doesn't get far enough to load those drivers). Further than that I couldn't extract any hints as to where exactly the PC hangs. In any case, no part of DVBViewer is supposed to be loaded yet at that point in time.

e) The problem doesn't depend on timer use - the same symptoms come manually if I wake, record, hibernate. On the second cycle (after DVBViewer has run once and the PC has hibernated) the wakeup hangs.

f) I bought System Mechanic 6 and fixed everything it recommended (registries, broken shortcuts, clutter). No influence.

g) Whether or not DVBViewer actually accesses the new drive has no influence. After the problem appeared, I pointed TV recordings to one of the old drives, but it didn't help.

h) I haven't been able to repeat the problem with any other software. I've also disabled all extra automatic update features and autoload components in all software, no influence.

Now I'm totally puzzled regarding what could be the actual problem. What appears clear is that the addition of the third drive causes DVBViewer or one of the programs it is using to leave some garbage to the system, which prevents normal wakeup from hibernation.

Finally some questions, in case there is already a known issue:

- Does the existence of a 320GB partition in the system cause problems to DVBViewer?

- Does the existence of three hard drives in the system cause problems to DVBViewer?

- Does the existence of four HD partitions in the system cause problems to DVBViewer?

- Does the existence of HD with 3GB/s transfer speed (my other HD:s are older 1.5GB/s) in the system cause problems to DVBViewer?

- Does letter "K" for a HD have bad karma?

- Could it be that opening the Airstar Card causes some issue with the K-drive HD, which then results in this wakeup problem? I cannot find IRQ or memory conflicts, but I cannot cross-test either as I have no other card and no other SW (except the TE) that would use the card.

All pointers and especially solutions appreciated!

Best Wishes,

Mikko

Guest Lars_MQ
- Does the existence of a 320GB partition in the system cause problems to DVBViewer?

no

- Does the existence of three hard drives in the system cause problems to DVBViewer?

no

- Does the existence of four HD partitions in the system cause problems to DVBViewer?

no

- Does the existence of HD with 3GB/s transfer speed (my other HD:s are older 1.5GB/s) in the system cause problems to DVBViewer?

no

- Does letter "K" for a HD have bad karma?

unsure what does your horoskop say? otherwise no.

- Could it be that opening the Airstar Card causes some issue with the K-drive HD, which then results in this wakeup problem? I cannot find IRQ or memory conflicts, but I cannot cross-test either as I have no other card and no other SW (except the TE) that would use the card.

the most likely reason. Which driver version for the card do you use?

Hi!

On the second cycle (after DVBViewer has run once and the PC has hibernated) the wakeup hangs.

I used to have a similar problem with my Athlon XP 2500+ system (although it occasionally used to hang on the first wakeup from hibernation as well, IIRC).

The solution that worked for me is to bypass the login-screen when waking up from hibernation.

I'm afraid I can't tell you exactly what to do, as I'm not running an english language version of Windows XP, but the option you should disable (uncheck) translates as something like "ask for password when reactivating from standby".

You should find it in Start -> System Controls -> Performance and Maintenance (the pie-chart icon) -> Energyoptions -> Extended- (second) Tab. Or try searching for "standby password" in Windows' built-in help system and use the link there.

Hope this helps. Good Luck.

Mr Bun

Hi!

Thanks to everybody for good suggestions! After some checking:

...Technisat Airstar Drivers...

the most likely reason. Which driver version for the card do you use?

4.4.0. I updated everything from web in June, and Technisat website says that last update has been added in March. I suppose I could try uninstalling and then re-installing the drivers with the new hard drive in the system and hope that they get configured somehow differently. I just remember that I had initially some hassle with the installation order of Technisat drivers, DVBViewer TE and the Pro version, so I haven't tried that yet.

Would anyone know, is there any HW or SW difference with Airstar 2 depending on whether it has been used or not? Does it e.g. load some drivers into memory during use, which would remain after DVBViewer exit and remain resident during hibernation?

The solution that worked for me is to bypass the login-screen when waking up from hibernation.

Thanks, promising idea! Unfortunately didn't work, wakeup hangs as before. But at least I know that the problem was not caused by the login application...

Maybe the Power-Supply is overloaded with starting the PC, the DVB card and 3 more or less huge HDs.

I'm desperate enough to try anything. I installed MSI CoreCenter, and at least according to what it displays all the voltages appear to be fine. Also, I cannot see any change in voltages when starting or closing DVBViewer, so it doesn't look like the use of the Airstar would increase power consumption; at least not enough to introduce any problems. I have some doubts as to what this could influence, because normal system startup works 100% every time and probably draws just as much current. The power supply is 400W.

Still hanging... :-(

-- Mikko

Hello !

Hey wake up !

We are talking about BOOTING the PC.

A HD spinning up needs MUCH more Power than on normal operation.

I still think that is the problem.

The current needed for a satrting electrical motor can be 5-8 times higher than under standard load.

3 (three) HDs and a Graphic Card and Power Supply and a lot of FANs starting at the same time can be too much.

Edited by bergh
We are talking about BOOTING the PC.

A HD spinning up needs MUCH more Power than on normal operation.

I still think that is the problem.

The current needed for a satrting electrical motor can be 5-8 times higher than under standard load.

3 (three) HDs and a Graphic Card and Power Supply and a lot of FANs starting at the same time can be too much.

I don't doubt that, but still:

1) During normal power-up from shutdown state everything works fine. Shouldn't this start all the drives and fans in just the same way?

2) Starting from hibernation loads the hibernation file without any problems - from a HD! Only after the hibernation file has finished loading, the screen remains black and nothing happens. First guess would have been that the PC configuration has somehow altered during hibernation, but without any better trace, there are really a million reasons that could cause this.

A good suggestion on how to trace exactly what the PC is doing when it hangs would probably help most at the moment. Otherwise I guess I'll just have to start randomly uninstalling and installing everything in some way related to the Airstar (drivers, DVBViewers etc.), then do XP repair and hope that the problem goes away at some point.

I realize this is going a bit beyond a "bug report". Sorry about that, but it has anyway been good to find out that this is not a common / known issue with the software, which means that there is hope in trying to solve it by redoing the configuration.

MfG,

Mikko

Only after the hibernation file has finished loading, the screen remains black and nothing happens.
Try to close all programs (from the tray).Then go to hibernate and wake up again. Did it work??

Hi all,

I faces the same problem. I really hope to see solution posting here.

My system consists of seagate 250GB SATA2 hd, nVidia Ge-force 73000LE and PixelView PlayTV Pro2 (TV card) with Windows XP SP2 OS.

NORMAL

1) Startup - normal

2) Hibernation - normal

4) Play some media files using Window Media Player or Mplayer Classic.

6) Next wakeup - normal * as many many times.

HANG CASE

1) Startup - normal

2) Hibernation - normal

4) PixelView TVR recording or just viewing & exit - normal

6) Next wakeup - hibernation file loads, after which PC hangs with a black screen. CTRL-ALT-DEL doesn't work.After forced power-off, and deleting the hibernation file, the system starts normally.

The commonility is that we are both using seagate sata2 hd and having issue after some TV viewings.

Really appreciate for any advise....

~ dickytan