unicast or multicast

wheelie

I am using the latest DVBViewer Pro v3.5.22. I am using a KWorld DVB-T220 dual digital/analog tv card with the latest drivers.

DVBViewer Pro installed and detected all available channels and seems to be working well.

I am on a small wired home network and I want to make my TV available to the other 3 computers on the network. I have followed the instructions mentioned in other threads and have unicasting working.

My problem is that I only seem to be able to broadcast one channel at a time eg if i am watching channel 10 on the server computer then all the others on the network can also only view channel 10.

Is there a way that I can broadcast all available channels (5 in all) to the others on the network so that each one can watch a different channel at the same time?

Can someone explain what the difference is between unicast and multicast?

thanks

Guest Lars_MQ

If you are using the netstreaming plugin this is by design. It is norally only meant to transmit the currently shown channel. You can enable transmit whole transponder in the plugin setting, but it may not work due to bandwidth limitations with WLAN.

You could also use the dvbserver as data source, but then you need to use all dvbviewers as networkclient (even the one on the pc the dvbserver runs). And don't forget you can only watch the channels on the same transponder (or muxx or frequency). Also only the first connected client is able to change between transponders.

Difference between unicast and multicast: Simplified Unicast is a point to point connection, only the needed data are send and it has a error correction.

Multicast is connectionless. The sender simply pushes all data into the network and the clients take what they need. the is no error correction and some hardware (router/switch) may not properly be able to handle this.

If you are using the netstreaming plugin this is by design. It is norally only meant to transmit the currently shown channel. You can enable transmit whole transponder in the plugin setting, but it may not work due to bandwidth limitations with WLAN.

For some reason the "transmit whole transponder" setting is greyed out. How do I make it active?

You could also use the dvbserver as data source, but then you need to use all dvbviewers as networkclient (even the one on the pc the dvbserver runs). And don't forget you can only watch the channels on the same transponder (or muxx or frequency). Also only the first connected client is able to change between transponders.

might be worth a try but seems to be what I have now.

Difference between unicast and multicast: Simplified Unicast is a point to point connection, only the needed data are send and it has a error correction.

Multicast is connectionless. The sender simply pushes all data into the network and the clients take what they need. the is no error correction and some hardware (router/switch) may not properly be able to handle this.

thanks. I found multicast brought the network to a standstill even tho it is a 100/1000 mbits wired LAN.

cheers

Guest Lars_MQ
For some reason the "transmit whole transponder" setting is greyed out. How do I make it active?

That's strange. are you sure it is the most current beta?

thanks. I found multicast brought the network to a standstill even tho it is a 100/1000 mbits wired LAN.

This could be cause the hardware is not able to cope with the data, or maybe some upd-flood control kicks in. As I said, it may not work everywhere... ;)

I find the best way is to use DVBServer on the system with the TV card & the use DVBViewer on that machine connecting to DVBServer & of course DVBViewer on all the other client machines.