SetUp guide for dual or tripple tuners

Dvb-tv

Is there one, i cannot find details for this at all. Please can someone direct me to where they are. Have read the online help and manual. Still needing more described information in a manual type format.

There is no real magic behind. The DVBViewer uses the device which is free and capable to tune/record the requested channel.

Christian

Can two devices record at the same time from different muxs. Can it also be possible to view other channels on the mux for each device while recording as can with one device. I assume this will mean two dvbviewers being opened.

Can both devices be exactly identical sharing the same bda driver and used with DVBViewer at the same time.

If programmes are scheduled via the pvr, recording at different times. Is it easy to tell from the system tray which DVBViewer is recording. I'm thinking along the lines of this. When two dvbviewers open the system tray icons have numbers 1 and two on them. When recording these turn to a red colour, when not recording these numbers are white. Just to identify what device is doing what quickly. To identify each device for using that DVBViewer, would stop getting them mixed up.

With two tuners i assume that two sets of different codecs will be needed (audio/video codecs). Or a confliction would arrise if one codec set, was used only.

Would each DVBViewer installed have to be installed differently. Installing one as All users the other as single user modes. To keep apart the preferences files in Documents and Settings.

Can two devices record at the same time from different muxs. Can it also be possible to view other channels on the mux for each device while recording as can with one device. I assume this will mean two dvbviewers being opened.
You can do this with one DVBViewer instance only the PiP in Pro is limited in GE not.

But it is although possible to connect one DVBViewer copy to one tuner and the other tuner to a norther copy from the DVBViewer.

If programmes are scheduled via the pvr, recording at different times. Is it easy to tell from the system tray which DVBViewer is recording. I'm thinking along the lines of this. When two dvbviewers open the system tray icons have numbers 1 and two on them. When recording these turn to a red colour, when not recording these numbers are white. Just to identify what device is doing what quickly. To identify each device for using that DVBViewer, would stop getting them mixed up.
For recording you shout use both tuners in one installation.
Would each DVBViewer installed have to be installed differently. Installing one as All users the other as single user modes. To keep apart the preferences files in Documents and Settings.
The second installation shout be in Compatible Mode.
You can do this with one DVBViewer instance only the PiP in Pro is limited in GE not.

I prefer to use the Pro version.

But it is although possible to connect one DVBViewer copy to one tuner and the other tuner to a norther copy from the DVBViewer.

For recording you shout use both tuners in one installation.

I would prefere to use two or more instances of DVBViewer to keep each tuner seperate to stop confusion. Each tuner used with DVBViewer equals a new DVBViewer instance, keeping all tuner seperate as possible. Confusion sets in if the system tray icons are not helpful.

Is it All user for the first tuner and Compatible mode for the second tuner. Or is there some other way for first tuner, as you say Compatible is for the second tuner.

I really like to know how you can tell which is recording at any time. When both are minimized in the system tray. Is the numbers overlayed on top of the DVBViewer tray icon. To identify which tuner that icon is for. Are the numbers white when not recording, and slowly flash on/off when recording is in progress. Is also the gui header bar when in framemode, does it have the tuner number on it. Useful for when each DVBViewer instance is open on the desktop. Such identities on the icons, bars and colours are essential for more than one tuner.

Edited by Dvb-tv

Not necessarily. Both installations can use the same user mode, if the configuration path is different. Open the files UserMode.ini with NotePad, and in the first one set

UserMode=2

Root=DVBViewer Pro

and in the second one

UserMode=2

Root=DVBViewer Pro 2

for running both in "AllUsers" mode.

I would prefere to use two or more instances of DVBViewer to keep each tuner seperate to stop confusion.

IMO the best way to *create* confusion. I use three tuners (2 x DVB-S, 1 x DVB-T) with one instance, and DVBViewer just does its job. Nothing complicated or confusing about it. DVBViewer is designed for handling it properly. Working with two instances is possible, but not so elaborate. And it never will be so elaborate, since inter-process communication is much more difficult, and only few people really want it.

One instance giving a single viewing surface, more instances giving more viewing surfaces. This is the reason for more than one DVBViewer instance. Griga thank you for the .ini settings, they will help with setting up.

With more instances using identical dtt devices and same bda driver is ok with a few instances of DVBViewer..?..

Would i also need to use different codecs for each instance. Or can this be overcome by using a plugin. Is there a plugin, favoured to suit multiple instances for manipulating the codec filters.

Would i also need to use different codecs for each instance.

Usually not, provided the decoders are written well. No trouble here with NVidia video decoder & AC3 filter. Just try.

P.S.

Have in mind that only one instance can use the hardware-supported overlay rendering mode (options -> directx-> video renderer). So I'd configure one instance for overlay mode, and the other one for VMR. Two instances with VMR will work.

Edited by Griga

Codecs should be ok for both instances - that is good news.

One of each or both vmr thats good to know.

The codecs are the Nova-t internal Intervideo, i do like them have never had problems with them. I try not to install extra codecs, have trouble in the past.

Nero codecs i found to be very bad, i have all nero filters set to zero merit value. The best thing i ever did to stop lip sync problems i used to get a few years ago.