Hibernate is different from standby

lighttear

Hi everybody,

I am using DVBViewer 3.5.022 for watching, programming and recording video.

On my PC, Pentium IV 3.4GHz , mobo Asus P5GD2-deluxe, ATI radeon X600, Skystar2 DVB-S, it performs very well;

it resumes always correctly from standby and after recordings it returns in standby mode; but I noted this strange behaviour: if I instruct DVBViewer to go in hibernate mode after recordings, or if manually close DVBViewer choosing the hibernation (not the standby) , it always go in standby mode.

This is not a big problem, however. I'm trying to understand if is it possible to correct this by myself or if this can be a bug.

Many thanks for the support

Cheers

Does the DVB Task Scheduler run in background?

Then please close it and switch on the option "Usw wndows taskmanager" inside the DVBViewer options.

Hi, no, scheduler.exe from reserved DVBViewer area is not running;

I already switched on the "use windows taskmanager" within DVBViewer options; cleary I do have the hiberfil.sys file in the root of the hd and I can put in hibernate mode the pc with other applications;

sincerly I can't understand why , on my pc, DVBViewer treates hibernate command as suspend command;

is there any special trick in the registry or in the configuration file of DVBViewer ?

Practically speaking, how DVBViewer manages suspend, shutdown and hibernate ?

Shutdown command is succesfull , standby (S3 mode) also, but not hibernate.

I tried changing in the BIOS setup, suspend mode from S3 to auto and I have enabled all ACPI facilities,

but still DVBViewer treates hibernate as suspend (S3 mode).

I hope this can help

Thanks again

Regards

I already switched on the "use windows taskmanager" within DVBViewer options;

Which means, the DVB Task Scheduler takes the handling over, silently in the background, without popping up. From the DVB Task Scheduler ReadMe:

The Continue With... Dropdown List presets which kind of suspension shall be executed after a hibernate/standby process has been interrupted by the DVB Task Scheduler in order to close the DVBViewer, to read the updated Setup.ini and to schedule new recordings.

Unfortunately Windows provides no way for an application to distinguish standby from hibernate. So the 'Default' setting may let the DVB Task Scheduler continue with the wrong mode, e.g. hibernate, though you wanted standby. This can be avoided by setting the Continue With... Dropdown List to the desired mode.

Which means, the DVB Task Scheduler takes the handling over, silently in the background, without popping up. From the DVB Task Scheduler ReadMe:

The Continue With... Dropdown List presets which kind of suspension shall be executed after a hibernate/standby process has been interrupted by the DVB Task Scheduler in order to close the DVBViewer, to read the updated Setup.ini and to schedule new recordings.

Unfortunately Windows provides no way for an application to distinguish standby from hibernate. So the 'Default' setting may let the DVB Task Scheduler continue with the wrong mode, e.g. hibernate, though you wanted standby. This can be avoided by setting the Continue With... Dropdown List to the desired mode.

Hi Griga, thanks for your patience,

you are right, I already read this before and I set "continue with hibernate" just to test different behaviours, but it still goes always in suspend mode. Now I am a bit confused: since when I schedule a recording, I manually can choose among which action to take after the recording (do nothing, shutdown, suspend, hibernate) I suppose that DVBViewer can do each of them, why not ? The application is not required to know if pc weaked up (from hibernate or from suspend) or simply it was regularly booted, simply should "force" an hibernate or suspend, or shutdown command: see for example the free utility Winoff (WinHib.exe, WinSus.exe).

And more, I was thinking that "scheduling" a recording in DVBViewer consist in putting in Microsoft Scheduler a new task with the command "scheduler.exe -x"; so where is the program in the background ? I can't see it.

Finally, through my remote and winlirc, when I press the Power button, I can again choose among shutdown, suspend, hibernate; well choosing shutdown the pc makes shutdown, with standby it goes in standby , with hibernate the PC goes in standby !?!? If I exits DVBViewer and from the command line call the utility WinHib.exe, it goes in hibernation.

What's wrong with my setup ?

Anyway is not that bad: the important feature is that DVBViewer is able to weak up the PC and put it again in standby mode.

Thanks for your job

Reagards

Please try this little program. Your PC should go to hibernate. (But at first close DVBViewer/Scheduler) It use the same method like DVBViewer/Scheduler does.

Does it work correctly??

Hi, many thanks for Your assistance.

Yes it works correctly, the small executable You give me force de PC in hibernation. Now I discovered what's the problem:

I removed scheduler.ini from the installation directory and guess what ?

Pressing the power button of my remote and selecting hibernate, the PC hibernates, if I choose standby the PC goes in standby mode; so I watched inside the file scheduler.ini and I discovered that the reason simply is this option:

[frmScheduler]

cbContinueWith=Standby

that's why DVBViewer always performs standby , both if issued from the remote or at the end of a recording.

In fact changing the option in

[frmScheduler]

cbContinueWith=Hibernate

DVBViewer always performs hibernate , both if issued from the remote or at the end of a recording.

Now with

[frmScheduler]

cbContinueWith=Default

as stated in the readme file of the dvbscheduler program, DVBViewer performs correctly standby or hibernate.

Concluding, thi is not a bug , but on my personal opinion, a misunderstanding in the configuration of the scheduler/DVBViewer actions:

user has to choices:

1. let dvbscheduler to do all and thus leaving it active as a tray icon; it weaks up pc from standby, launches DVBViewer, DVBViewer starts recording, stop recording and does nothing else; then the scheduler put again the pc always in hibernate or in standby , you have to decide this for all recordings.

2. let DVBViewer, on exiting, put a new task in the microsoft scheduler; this means no more dvbscheduler running in the background; it is only invoked by the task (scheduler.exe -x) at the right time; DVBViewer is started by the command scheduler.exe -x in the task, it starts recording, stop recording and , on the basis of the user choice, force the shutdown OR the hibernate OR the standby;

this is particularly useful for me when scheduling 2 or more events when I am outside for several days: the first recording is performed, then the pc goes in standby (otherwise in hibernation is impossible to switch on automatically); the last programmed recording at the end performs a final hibernation since I do not need any other automatic control from DVBViewer.

So the question is, when I choose not to use dvbscheduler, but manually choose for each task if perform a standby or hibernation, why on exiting DVBViewer is influenced by the settings in scheduler.ini file ?

And again, if I manually, through the remote, want to choose time by time between standby or hibernation , why be influenced by this settings ?

For my porpuses

cbContinueWith=Default

is the only choice.

Sorry for all this discussion, I am still a very very satisfied customer of DVBViewer !!

Regards

really? I think, your PC can automatically wakeup from hibernate. Have you tried it?? :bye:

Hi,

YES ! You are right; I never used this before: PC weaks up from hibernation also, and DVBViewer is started for recording succesfully !

Many thanks again for your suggestion.

Cheers

Edited by lighttear