Weak reception of H264 channel = DVBViewer crash

Rittberg

Hi,

Due to the fact that I am located outside Europe and even using large dishes, I face that reception quality is changing during the day time.

During the watching of HiDef H264 channels by DVBViewer 3.5.0.41, at the moment that the signal quality drops (less than 35%) the HTPC simply crash and reboots again.

Is there a way in such case to let DVBViewer application to close and to eliminate the HTPC crashing ?

Thanks.

Edited by Rittberg
the HTPC simply crash and reboots again.

In most cases rebooting is caused by driver issues. An application can hardly let the whole system crash under WinXP.

Try to find out which component causes the reboot. Disable the automatic reboot in case of critical errors (somewhere under My Computer -> Properties). After that, the "Blue Screen of Death" will tell you what happened.

I am not able to supply a BSOD display even I disable the "automatic reboot in case of critical errors" due to the fact that most of the time the screen become black and I can hear an annoying noise but no BSOD screen , I can stop this only by pressing "reset".

I find that even with a strong signal but with a channel broadcasting in a none 1920*1080 resolution as LUXE HD @ 1280*1080 (according to DVBViewer) the HTPC crash too.

I have checked the memories with "windows memory diagnostics" and they are OK.

Thanks for your input.

due to the fact that most of the time the screen become black and I can hear an annoying noise but no BSOD screen

Suggests that the graphics card driver or even the graphics card itself causes the crash, maybe due to corrupted video data in conjunction with HW acceleration (enabled for H.264?).

but with a channel broadcasting in a none 1920*1080 resolution as LUXE HD @ 1280*1080 (according to DVBViewer) the HTPC crash too.

Make sure that Options -> DirectX -> Video Format Detection is ticked! Most H.264 decoders (in contrast to MPEG2 decoders) are not able to detect the video resolution correctly, so DVBViewer has to do it for them. Otherwise all kinds of nasty things may happen...

Suggests that the graphics card driver or even the graphics card itself causes the crash, maybe due to corrupted video data in conjunction with HW acceleration (enabled for H.264?).

It seems that you are right,

When disabling the H.264 HW acceleration in PDVD or using CoreAVC I can't remember a PC crash,

But the picture quality is not fluent as with H.264 HW acceleration "on" and this is not a question of CPU (I am using the E6700 + Nvidia 7900).

So, in order to solve the problem we have to wait for what :

1. PDVD - better SW ?

2. Nvidia - better driver ?

3. TT S - 3200 - better driver ?

BTW - Video Format Detection is ticked.

Thanks again.

Update:

with Griga's direction I find that PDVD 7 HW acceleration need perfect video data , if not my HTPC is keeping crashing all the time,

This is not the case when using PDVD 7 with HW acceleration - disabled or with CoreAVC.

I upload a H.264 corrupted video file where you can see/check your system.

Even the playback of this file using PDVD 7 HW acceleration crashes the HTPC, but playback of the same file with PDVD 7 (HW acceleration - disabled) or with CoreAVC is OK.

The question is how that problem can be solved or how to tell PDVD & Nvidia to investigate that issue.

In case you are facing DL problems use FireFox . the file link :

http://s1.upload.sc/request/2d55387da33a44...b5d65eb77/owner

Thanks for your input.