whole transponder - one channel or all channels?

wheelie

I am using the latest DVBViewer beta 3.5.0.50, together with the latest netstream plugin 1.2.1.1 on a winxp SP2 system.

I have the netstream plugin set up and working.

What I would like to know is whether the option "Stream whole Transponder" means streaming all the channels available from a particular transponder file in the Transponder sub-folder eg Australia.ini or does it mean stream all the sub-channels of the current channel?

cheers

Whole transponder means all the data which is delivered via the transponder (or Muxx or Frequency).

Thanks but in the case of the Australia.ini transponder file, there are 47 frequencies (tho we only get 5 different channels) and the netstream plugin only seems to stream one channel but all s ub-channels.

So I guess my answer is transponder = channel and whole transponder = all sub-channels on the same frequency.

Any chance it could be enhanced to stream all available frequencies?

cheers

Guest Lars_MQ

No way :bounce: It's technically impossible, you only have one tuner on the card and can receive one frequency at a time. :bye:

In europe (at least the parts I know of ;) ), you got serveral channels per frequency and these channels can have multiple audiostreams (and dvbsubtile streams and a teletext stream etc.). Not all frequencies may be "occupied" but this differs from area to area.

What is your defintion of channel and subchannel? I think this might differ from our definition :)

No way :bounce: It's technically impossible, you only have one tuner on the card and can receive one frequency at a time. :bye:

ah right. yes I can understand that but the copy of DVBViewer on the server PC can change channels but all the other copies of DVBViewer on other PCs on the LAN can only receive the same channel that the server PC is displaying. I just thought it may have been possible for each computerr on the LAN to change channels regardless of what channel ther server PC is watching. Apparently this is not so.

In europe (at least the parts I know of ;) ), you got serveral channels per frequency and these channels can have multiple audiostreams (and dvbsubtile streams and a teletext stream etc.). Not all frequencies may be "occupied" but this differs from area to area.

not the case in australia where we have 5 free-to-air channels each is a different frequency. Each channel does have a number of sub-channels tho eg channel 9 has Nine Digital, Nine High Definition and Nine Guide

What is your defintion of channel and subchannel? I think this might differ from our definition :)

channel = tv station. in australia we have 5 different free-to-air TV stations that broadcast digital signals - 7, 9, 10, ABC & SBS. Each is a different frequency but as mentioned above, each channel has a number of sub-channels.

When using the preview or mosaic function the sub-channels are displayed.

Guest Lars_MQ
ah right. yes I can understand that but the copy of DVBViewer on the server PC can change channels but all the other copies of DVBViewer on other PCs on the LAN can only receive the same channel that the server PC is displaying. I just thought it may have been possible for each computerr on the LAN to change channels regardless of what channel ther server PC is watching. Apparently this is not so.

Well it depends.

I must confess it is a little confusing. I'll try to explain:

You have two possibilities to stream into the Network.

1. You use the netstreaming plugin.

This is the fast and simple way, you do it with the DVBViewer and you can only stream the current channel or if you select it the current frequency. Clients can not switch channels directly, but you can also use other clients than the DVBViewer (videolan or mpc).

If you want to be able to remotly switch channels you can do it with a trick: Use the webserver for DVBViewer (found in the members area - best to choose the latest beta of the webserver in the beta section there). The webserver must be run on your server PC and connects to the local DVBViewer. It enables you to program timers, read and search in the epg and you can remote control the DVBViewer.

This enables you to changes the channels (frequencies in your case). Be aware in the webserver is also a streaming (in this case web(asf)streaming) plugin but this has NOTHING to do with what we're talking about now. This asfstreaming plugin does transcoded streaming, making it possible to stream via internet and needs lots of cpu power. :bounce:

2. You can use the dvbserver.

This is a standalone netstreaming server program without any playback capabilities. You can connect with a Remote DVBViewer to this server and switch directly the channels (and frequencies). But to avoid switching battles, only the first connected client (the master client) can do this, all other clients have to stay on the frequency dictated by the master. The DVBServer can only handle one card/tuner at a time (We're currently working on a better system, but this will take some time).

This are the two possibilities.

Now here it gets a little complex. How to stream all 5 of your frequencies at once:

- You need 5 tuner for it (2 twincards and a single or 5 single tuner cards etc.). Depending on your client count, you could work with less (cause no client can watch 2 channels at the same time).

- I assume you only use one PC as server (you could use 5 different pcs of course but this would be overkill ;)).

- You need to make 5 folders with each one having a copy of the dvbserver. In each DVBServer you select one of your cards. For each server you assign a unique Port for streaming and control (and of course the same system unicast would be a wise choice).

- You configure your client DVBViewers. First you locate and edit the usermode.ini file:

[Card]
Multicast=xx
Unicast=yy

You may have to add this section. XX and YY stand for the count of devices you want.

After this you start the DVBViewer and open Options/Hardware. There you do a manual Search for devices. You then should see the wanted amount of network devices.

Now you have to edit each device and assign it to one of the servers (adress and ports). Don't forget to set the reception type of the device (in your case terrestrial). After you did setup everything, the remote clients should works as if you have a local installed card.

I know this is very complicated, but as I said we're working on a server which can handle multiple devices at once. :bye:

Hope it helps a little bit, if you have further questions, just ask :)

lars

Many thanks Lars. I think that is just what am looking for.

I appreciate the time you have taken to explain it.

BTW I have 3 tuners at the moment so as soon as I have a bit of time I'll see if I can stream all 3.

cheers