What filters to use and why?

soothsayer

Hi.

Newbie here.

I've bought this after much debate if it would work with my Hauppage HVR-900 and it works beautifully and cant believe the amount of goodies for £10. I'm really pleased thank you all who put your time into it.

ok down to business

These filters are confising me somewhat. well looking all the choice out there and also the DVB filters themselves i'm confused to which i must use and do i really need them.

I have FFDshow installed and i selected it for the H.264 decoding and someother decoding as well but DVBViewer crashed a few time and had to uninstall FFDshow to get DVBViewer to start right again. Since then i selected the decoders that came with Hauppage Win tv and work fine now.

What Exactly do i need H.264 for exactly and do i need it if all i'm interested in is recording tv?

Can i make a suggestion - i've come across a program VideoRedo and is excellant for editing program stream Mpeg2. i've used it sometime and had no problems. Just wondered if you can maybe put it on your recommended list.

Thank for all your input

S

H.264 (MPEG4 AVC) is an advanced codec used for encoding and decoding HDTV channels, instead of the older MPEG2 that is more commonly used. You don't need it to record tv, especially not if the channels you want to record are either analogue or MPEG2 streams. H.264 is quite a heavy codec, so you need beefy hardware to get realtime encoding.

If you do need a good H.264 codec, take a look at CoreAVC.