Multituner priorities

mijuny

Hi!

I have a questions about multituner priorities. I have two cards, one with CI and one without. I would like to make my card without CI default for free channels and CI card for pay channels. I have already marked the card without CI as "preferred", and grouped the pay channels to be tuned only with the card with CI. But still when i chance the channel from a pay tv channel to free channel the program continues to use the card with CI and does not chance back to preferred card (without CI). This is annoying because then when recording free channels the program tends to use the card with CI and then i'm not able to watch pay channels.

Any suggestions?

Hello,

you must select the dvb devices for a "channel group" under options -> hardware

make the technotrend (without CI) group A and the twinhan (with CI) group B

as state for both cards set Normal

now the channellist:

open the list -> click Options

now you can make for every channel the Group settings

select the free channels for group A and the pay channels group B

:(

select the free channels for group A and the pay channels group B

:(

Yep, in fact i have already done almost that. The problem with your set up is that with that set up i lose the advantage of having two cards (partly) when watching free channels. Because if card without CI is recording channels from group A I cannot watch another free mux anymore (from group A). So that's not an ideal solution.

I have already grouped the pay channels to group b and card with CI is only selected for that group. But for group a (the free channels) both cards are selected in my setup. Now the real problem is that when changing channel from group B to group A the program continues to use the card with CI to show the group A channel (the free channels). I would like the program to be able to chance to card without CI in that case, and not stick with the same tuner. Now it is usually playing also the free channels with card with CI and then when recording starts that card is used for recording. After that i'm not able to chance back to pay channels because the "wrong" card is selected for recording free channels.

Not a major issue but an annoying one...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody.

I have the same "problem" as mijuny has.

One can select preferred or normal for the cards, but what's the purpose for the selection? How should it be used?

As mijuny mentioned, when watching encrypted channel the CI card is selected and if one changes the channel to FTA DVBV still uses CI card, although the card with no CI is preferred.

So, how to set DVBV to use card with no CI always first if FTA channel is watched or recorded? :bye:

I think it's almost impossible to satisfy everyone's needs. You could add many more criteria but there will be always someone who wants something different. With a large number of priority tags you'll need a scheme to allocate the tags. -> An intelligent priority management is needed. All included in a software for 15 euro ! :bye::D

If somebody could explane to me how this hardware selection works...

I mean, what is the difference between preferred vs. normal and how they should be used in my case.

what is the difference between preferred vs. normal

If a *new* resp. an *additional* device is needed, DVBViewer prefers the one that is set to "preferred", provided it isn't occupied yet, and there is an alternative, that is set to "normal"

However, it sticks to a device that is already in use, if possible, in order to minimize device (re-)initialisation processes, that are more time consuming (and more critical), compared to simple channel switching. This criterion is stronger than the preferred / normal setting.

Thus, if the channel group assignment allows a device with CI to receive free channels, and it is already active, and you switch over to a free channel, DVBViewer will use it in this way.

Additionally different tasks have a different priority. E.g. recording has a higher priority than simple playback. I cannot test it, because I have no CI, but I would expect the following: If playback uses the CI device for a free channel, and a scheduled recording starts, that requires CI, DVBViewer grabs the CI device for recording by automatically stopping playback of the free channel and switching over to the encrypted one. Doesn't it work this way?

Additionally different tasks have a different priority. E.g. recording has a higher priority than simple playback. I cannot test it, because I have no CI, but I would expect the following: If playback uses the CI device for a free channel, and a scheduled recording starts, that requires CI, DVBViewer grabs the CI device for recording by automatically stopping playback of the free channel and switching over to the encrypted one. Doesn't it work this way?

FTA channels need no ci support so even a CI card plays FTA with or without inserted smartcard or even cam.

But: Suppose you are watching to a FTA channel on the CI enabled card and a recording starts on that same card then there are a few restrictions:

One card is not able to tune into different transponders at the same time. the best what could be possible is accessing all channels on the same transponder but then you have some luck if the channel that you want to view and record are placed on the same transponder.

It's advisable in multituner setups to use one card for FTA and one for CI in case you are subscribed to pay TV so that recordings have less chance to interfere.

Now, I have no idea if DVBViewer handles this but that are the limitations.

ps. You sure need PCI express if you want to use multi channel. The VGA port is a bottleneck.

You sure need PCI express if you want to use multi channel.

That's not true. I have no PCIE, but I can record/watch several TV channels (originating from three different devices, 2 x DVB-S, 1 x DVB-T) simultaneously.

That's not true. I have no PCIE, but I can record/watch several TV channels (originating from three different devices, 2 x DVB-S, 1 x DVB-T) simultaneously.

Read again..advisable. AGP causes higher CPU use and for those who want to receive HDTV sure not an option.