Diagnostics for discontinuities

zaf

I have a missing frames problem with a Twinhan Mantis 2033 DVB-C card. Using a pro version of DVBViewer - version is the latest available and so is the Twinhan bda driver.

I have come to conclusion ( a guess) that the Twinhan reception is ok, but there is some sort of problem in the PCI that either blocks the Source Filter to from receiving the frames before next one comes or destroys the frame data before it goes to mpeg2 decoder. Is there any possibility to activate some futher error logs in the DVBViewer so that the exact reason could be pinpointed.

I checked the log files of DVBViewer and none of them seems to give any further hint of the problem cause.

The problem is aggravated when recording is activated. My motherboard is Abit NF7-S, processor is Barton 2500+. I have tried to overclock the FSB and processor, but there seems to be no improvement.

The bit rates of the channel multiplexes seem to be about 44 Mbit/s and the individual channels are 2...4 Mbit/s.

Sometimes if recording is not active, there could be even 30 minutes without discontinuities, but when the problem is on, there are dicontinuities about once per second or even slightly more.

Windows xp processor load meter show about 25-30% load when - no spikes visible.

I have tried various audio/video filters (Nero and WinDVD) , but changing them does not influence the occurrence of failures.

If DVBViewer receives a stream with discontinuities resp. missing data packets (188 bytes each) from the driver, there is no way to log or pinpoint the problem within the application, since it occurs at an earlier stage.

Your description suggests that it is a hardware related problem resp. PCI bus conflict - HDD data traffic interfering with DVB data. Did you already try to move the card to a different slot?

Yes I did change the PCI slot - the currect position is 3rd - no effects to the problem. In this last position there is no sharing of IRQ. In the other 2 tested positions there was sharing of IRQ with Video card.

One of the admins - Oliver - managed to solve a similar problem some time ago, by changing something concerning the HDD on the BIOS / hardware level, if I remember it correctly. I'll notify him...

Well, back then I had a VIA mainboard with the 8233 southbridge which had a bug. But Nforce2 chipsets, especially the NF7-S is prone to PCI stress. I also have an NF7 and it is not possible to use it with an analogue-recording card. There may also be issues when using both the IDE and S-ATA ports. What is your harddisk configuration?

Thanks for the answers so far,

My disk configuration is one S-ATA HD and one IDE-DVD drive. The IDE drive is idle.

Maybe I should try disabling the primary IDE and just use the secondary for DVD?