Reproducible PC crashes with HDTV contents

ginacman

Hello

most probably in poor reception conditions, I consistently get situations where the PC suddenly crashes.

This happens with HDTV DVB-S2 channels. I've got two similarly assembled PC's in which the problem is exhibited. In both cases, the video card is Nvidia 7600GT and the H.264 decoder is that shipped with PowerDVD bundled with the Technotrend 3200-S2 board.

I've also managed to capture some clips that, played back with DVBViewer itself, crash the PC abruptly - always at the same sequence, while played back with PowerDVD just stop for a while and then resume.

Also, on further PC's assembled, just using a different motherboard model, same cpu, memory, video card - same othwerwise all, does not lead the PC to crashing.

I'm writing here because the problem is anyway exhibited only when using DVBViewer. I frankly don't know about the behaviour of alternative DVB players because, at the time of writing, DVBViewer is the only program that can tune correctly DVB-S2 channels and scale on a dual core system as well.

I would like to get some advice how to approach this problem, thank you.

Edited by ginacman

A crash is related to a piece of hardware that interacts with the pc via a driver. In your case it could be the graphical card and its driver. I guess there's not much to do for the dvbiewer but I'm not the expert in this field :)

A crash is related to a piece of hardware that interacts with the pc via a driver. In your case it could be the graphical card and its driver. I guess there's not much to do for the dvbiewer but I'm not the expert in this field :)

I just noticed that Nvidia released a new beta driver on Nov 28, I'll eventually let you know whether that fixes things, Thanks

I'm using a Nvidia card as well, though with CoreAVC codec. Switching between two H264 HD-channels (DVB-C) would crash DScaler. Starting up on a encrypted channel crashes, in rare cases, DVBViewer too.