DVBViewer as MCE replacement?

drathbone

Hi,

I've been trying to get the exact setup I want for a while now, and recently purchased DVBViewer in the hope that it would be a good solution.

Firstly, is it possible to setup DVBViewer as a complete MCE replacement? i.e.

1. Auto start DVBViewer

2. Watch fullscreen TV, use photos/music, watch films

3. Do all the above using a remote (iMon remote and VFD actually)

4. And no obvious sign of an operating system in sight.

I realise it's a lot to ask, and found a similar thread from someone who wanted to do the same, but there were very few answers.

The reason for all this, simple, it's getting the wife and kids to "buy in" to this HTPC. We've used MCE and it was excellent, from a UI point of view, but very lacking in features. Also tried MythTV which was good, easy to use and customise, but couldn't get teh sw decoders to work the way I wanted.

Another reason I'd like to get DVBViewer setup in this way is that I'll be using 1 (or 2) DVB-S cards, and can get BBC HD with DVBViewer but not MCE.

I've looked for plugins etc, and have to admit I havent looked around the DVBViewer interface too much, but is there an easy-ish way to do this? Actually, I don't mind how complicated it is, as long as it can be done and there are people who can guide me in the right direction for help etc.

Realise it's a lot to ask, but would really appreciate some help on this.

Cheers

1. Auto start DVBViewer

You can replace the windows explorer shell by DVBViewer....meaning only kernel is loaded and drivers

but user interface is only DVBViewer. This is no ideal situation cause for instance, standby consumes usual 3-5Wh but when DVBViewer is used as shell replacement then this rises to 40-50Wh.

That's cause explorer.exe triggers more functions then DVBViewer does.

What might work is write a small application that loads those services that you need , also additional tools , then DVBViewer. In case of error, press CTRL+ALT+DEL, choose new task and enter explorer.exe and the windows shell (so desktop) will be loaded again.

A better approch is using the explorer shell but disabling the boot splash screen, windows login screen, tweaking down windows with xplite and remove all those applications that you don't need, including internet explorer although xplite doesn't really remove IE but you will not find iexplore.exe anymore on the harddisk.

Then add DVBViewer in autostart. DVBViewer start's very fast so it might be even enough to start is as first..so asap so that DVBViewer opens that the other apps that are loaded are not visible at all.

2. Watch fullscreen TV, use photos/music, watch films

Watch fullscreen : yes possible

Use photo's : yes possible but it depends a bit on your preference on how the photo's are displayed.

Play music: yes but DVBViewer is limited whith sort of files, wav is ok and audio cd playing also.

Watch films: yes both DVD as previous recorded material.

3. Do all the above using a remote (iMon remote and VFD actually)

With remote, yes best serial approach. Not tried VFD yet but will do that soon.

4. And no obvious sign of an operating system in sight.

Ideal approach: replace the shell, but that needs some additional tweaking as mentioned in the first question.

I realise it's a lot to ask, and found a similar thread from someone who wanted to do the same, but there were very few answers.

This is my intention too but the project is on hold due to CAM problems.

The reason for all this, simple, it's getting the wife and kids to "buy in" to this HTPC. We've used MCE and it was excellent, from a UI point of view, but very lacking in features. Also tried MythTV which was good, easy to use and customise, but couldn't get teh sw decoders to work the way I wanted.

You could create your own skin and throw out a few items out of the menu that you really don't need, like for instance the cam menu

Another reason I'd like to get DVBViewer setup in this way is that I'll be using 1 (or 2) DVB-S cards, and can get BBC HD with DVBViewer but not MCE.

Ok but check that the cam's are supported in combination with the DVB-S/S2 card and DVBViewer.

I've looked for plugins etc, and have to admit I havent looked around the DVBViewer interface too much, but is there an easy-ish way to do this? Actually, I don't mind how complicated it is, as long as it can be done and there are people who can guide me in the right direction for help etc.

The skin is fully customisable, so you can create your own skin design.

Plugins are great cause they add more functionality to DVBViewer and it's a nice way to keep DVBViewer as small as possible upon user request.

Remark: If my cam problem is solved but have to say that I don't expect too much then I'll focus back on this. if it's not solved then I'll have to use other mediacenter software and be no part of the DVBViewer forum anymore.

Edited by Benarty

Hallo,

1. Auto start DVBViewer
the best is, you load the additional program DVB Task Scheduler (from Membder-Area), it make the timer from DVBViewer to windows task, so the pc start automatically for recordings.

If the DVB Task Scheduler runs in tray (autostart) you can take the option "Restart on Resume (time in sec, 0=off)" on the tab Settings 2. After the pc is wakeup, the Task Scheduler start the DVBViewer. Recordings or not.

2. Watch fullscreen TV
the best is, u use the HTPC Mode Slider, Options -> General.

;)

I've almost finalised a DVBViewer shell that works with standby properly and plugins are no problem.

But: a correct test demands also encrypted channels and this is still not solved.