No sound on mono channels?

zeflash

I've reinstalled my whole HTPC lately and it appears I don't hear anything anymore on mono channels (for example, euronews).

When I look at the dvbsource filter, the audio state says "Enabled / connected", yet I always have 0 queued buffer.

And in ffdshow I don't see any current levels in the volume plugin.

How come? I rescanned the channels, no luck.

I'm pretty sure it used to work before my OS reinstall, so I'm puzzled. I use a clean setup 3.5.0 DVBViewer (I think I tried with the latest beta, same thing).

Anyone could help?

• 2 weeks later...

Just had a similiar issue. The MPEG Audio codec (one supplied with Windows by default I think) breaks mono-sound channels. Other codecs works fine.

• 3 weeks later...

Well it seems only the intervideo codec handles mono correctly.

I'm quite surprised that it doesn't work even with FFDShow, which is renown to work with pretty much every format.

I've been looking at the input volume levels and for a mono source, it seems nothing's sent at all to the codec (fact being backed up by the 0 queued audio buffers in the DVBsource filter).

only the intervideo codec handles mono correctly

Not at all, or at least it heavily depends on which Audio filter your PC have got...

Have you already tried the great (and freeware :P) AC3Filter? It is absolutely worth a try...

:bye:

I used to use it - but later I found ffdshow was more suiting to me. It might have changed though, I'll try again.

My main problem is that I'm juggling with this SPDIF output; I have the default wave & dsound that are going through the windows driver, which is forwarded to spdif.

Then I have DVBViewer, with most channels in stereo but some in AC3.

And I also have mediaportal for tvshows & movies handling.

IF everything is set to use basic stereo, it works fine as windows muxes all those streams & then it's out through the spdif & decoded by my DTS amp.

Trouble comes when I'm trying to output something in AC3: in order for ffdshow (or ac3filter I assume but I haven't tested with latest versions) to send an AC3 stream through the SPDIF, this SPDIF needs to not be used.

That means that if DVBViewer uses ffdshow as an spdif outputter, then trying to play back something in mediaportal will fail.On the other hand I can leave mediaportal opened & start DVBViewer as long as I'm not actually playing something, as in that case no graph is used and the spdif is clear.

So I need to juggle between apps, closes DVBViewer to play a movie. That's a mess.

If only ffdshow or ac3filter would do the same kind of muxing on AC3 streams. But I guess that's so specific that no one cares.

Or, if only DVBViewer would provide a way to release the graph without also preventing the recordings (which is the case at the moment). But I asked about that earlier and either I wasn't understood or no one cared.