HDTV with CoreCodec

Ramsbottom

If you have had problems receiving the BBC test transmissions on Astra 28.2E with the standard CoreCodec, try the professional version (not expensive). It worked for me and gives quite smooth audio and video. My setup is DVBViewer Pro, AMD 3800+ duel core processor and 1gig of memory. Recording is also very good

Good luck

Bernard

I'm not too fond of CoreAVC anymore.

First, a codec that requires online activation? :-|

Second, still no GPU acceleration support (was supposed to be in 1.2, but the whole activation system seems to have chewed up the devs time).

Third, seems that it has a few bugs regarding interlacing: http://www.coreavc.com/index.php?option=co...er&Itemid=8 .

Fourth, it remains to be seen how well CoreAVC will stand up against the next generation of codecs from nVidia/ATi/Cyberlink in terms of picture quality and speed.

Fifth, CoreAVC comes in standard, professional and an enterprise edition. The standard edition is pretty much useless for most people. No SMP support, no interlacing support and no future GPU support. So 99% of the people will need the professional edition, which should be, compared to other codecs, be called the standard edition. The professional edition is just a marketing gimmick.

I'm looking forward to try the brand new Mainconcept H.264 codec: at the moment it's only available on request for devs (and it's required to sign an NDA) but a Demo should be out soon. Rumour has it that the codec has the best quality (and GPU support for Nvidia/Ati video cards) ever. http://www.mainconcept.com/site/index.php?id=17739

Edited by Zyknyp

I agree with what you said Klaus. Especially Online activation is a show stopper since CoreAVC only allows you to use the license on 1 PC. It ought to cover all the computers in the home. Perhaps not simultaniously though.

Additionally, currently noone seems to be getting the CoreAVC codec that they payed for. There are lots of threads about this on their forum and no real answers from the developers. Buyer beware.

Edited by spaltzer
  • 2 weeks later...
I agree with what you said Klaus. Especially Online activation is a show stopper since CoreAVC only allows you to use the license on 1 PC. It ought to cover all the computers in the home. Perhaps not simultaniously though.

Additionally, currently noone seems to be getting the CoreAVC codec that they payed for. There are lots of threads about this on their forum and no real answers from the developers. Buyer beware.

Im one of those peeps nearly 40 days and counting !!! still no s/ware still no refund

• 3 weeks later...

What kind of Graphikcard do you use?

I'm having a x1600 wich should accelerate the playback but the video is pretty slow even though i'm having a dual core 4400+ with 2 gig's of Ram

Seppel

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Just adding a small tip for users.

I had a above spec machine for hd but got the worst results on playback. (shudder heaven!!)

However what I found out is that my CPU was running between 50C & 60C

and after I refitted a new cooler and fan got my CPU temp down to between 25C & 35C

After that not one single frame was dropped that could be seen 100% perfect playback.

(Just a tip) :P

System spec:

Intel 3.2 D, 1GB Ram, nvidia 7600GT

• 2 weeks later...

Elecard has finished a first version of AVC and AAC decoders (MainConept branded) with HW acceleration:

http://www.elecard.com/products/products-p...er/progdvb-avc/

Performs much better than version 2.0

Still trying and comparing...

Edit: Can not see a difference between HW Accel on and off (?)

Edited by SnoopyDog