TSCut? TSEdit?

Delphi

I use the TS format for recordings having all TS Format Options checked. To be sure not to miss anything I start recordings 1 minut before and end 7 minuts after the time optained from EPG.

If it is something I want to preserve I burn the TS file to a data-dvd.

For HDTV (mpeg2) I can have one episode of most series on a dual layer DVD if the 1+7 minuts is trimmed away. Else the file generally is too big.

I have spent quite some time looking for a utility to do the trimming job (without projectX etc.).

VideoReDo (easy, accurate, fast) looses the subtitles.

The TSPlayer (almost) does the trimming job, but I can only have one audio track in the result file. Correct me if I am wrong. ;) Teletext subs are preserved ;) , but I loose the DVB subs. :arrow:

Since you DVBViewer people are the only ones I know of giving proper support for subtitles:

Request 1 (EDIT: Not a request any more, @Derrick solved this for me. See next post)

A TSPlayer lookalike utility to do the trimming job without loosing any information (teletext, audio, DVB subs). If possible without having to play the whole file.

Nice to have too would be a split file possibility (a HDTV movie onto 2 DL DVDs) and maybe even the ability to join two files.

I know, that files can be split during recording.

Request 2

When I insert a movie DVD or a music CD DVBViewer displays an OSD menu asking me if I want to play it. Very polite :)

I would like to have the same offer when I insert a data DVD containing one or more TS files. Or for that matter any kind of files playabable in DVBViewer.

With theese two requests fullfilled it is very easy to build a movie collection, playabable any time on a htpc system using only a remote control ;)

Thank you for reading....maybe even considering.

Edited by Delphi

Thank you very much for theese two suggestions.

Both solves the trimming issue. :bye:

I withdraw Request 1, but still have request 2.

For other users of subtitles:

StreamClip

Load the TS-file, set startpoint (I), set endpoint (O), Select Trim (Ctrl+T), Select File-->Save As.

That's it! All audio PIDs are preserved. Teletext and DVB subtitles are preserved and in sync.

Trimming process duration for a 8.2 GB downto 6.5 GB HDTV episode was about 6 min on a 3.2 GHz Intel dual core PC.

Don't use the Cut command since this looses the subtitles.

This means that StreamClip cannot be used to edit out commercials. Correct me if I am wrong, please.

ProjectX

Can be used to edit out commercials as well!!

Select File-->Add to load the TS-file,

Use the navigation buttons/slider to move to a cutpoint,

Hit the pink + button beneath the picture to mark the cutpoint,

go on and mark more cutpoints, the red parts will be removed.

Hit the prepare button,

Select PIDFilter (1:1 Copy) (This was the trick I didn't know)

Hit the Play/Pause button and the processing starts.

A TS-file is created with [filtered] added to the filename.

Processing time is about the same as for StreamClip for the 8.2 GB file.

VideoReDo

Looking into the forum, the preserving of subtitles is on the todo list.

VideoReDo is very fast and has frame accuracy.

It's not free.

TSEdit from DVBViewer :)

@devs: I am shure you could write such a utility having much shorter processing time than all others. :bye:

..you only can shorten the processing time by having 2 physical different fast drives :bye:

I see, so it's not the calculations but the disk read/write process that is time consuming.

I have now tested ProjectX on a SDTV movie and this is efficient, both when navigating and processing.

I consider my problem solved (Thanks once again).

For HDTV stuff ProjectX is rather slow when navigating. DVBViewer is very good at that.