Aspect ratio setup for each channel

AndersB

I know that this has been up before but I want to highlight the need again. To be able to set the aspect ratio/zoom etc for each channel once and make DVBViewer remember it would be great.

Why would you do that? The AR is sent togther with the signal and can change.

I would apreciate to have a function like my "Automatic" on my Phillips TV. Dosent mater which channel i use, the display i automatically adjusted fo fill the whole panel. I know that some times this is not a good idea, but then it is very easy to change to 16:9, widescreen or whatsoever

Simply choose aspectratio none and you get what you ask for.

I have tried that, there is still bars in both sides. When switching to the TV tuner and selecting Automatic, there is no bars and the picture is streched to fill the whole screen. I have supplied some photos that shows this

I cant use the Automatic setting on the TV when the source is VGA

Edited by McenterFreak

Hello !

Problem (most people do not understand) is that streching is/can be wrong.

On a 16:9 Display a 4:3 Picture has big black bars on each side.

Strechiing here tamp0ers the Aspect Ratio.

I do not want wrong AR in DVBViewer.(Full Stop).

If people want to have Kate Moss looking like Pam Anderson before her Diet.

Set your TV to stretch,

hence it is wrong.

Same with the lie that 16:9 has no bars Lower and upper Screen.

That is true for movies / picture that have an Aspect Ratio

of 1.65:1 everything bigger has bars, especially Western in Cinemascope.

They have BIG BARS.

All teh industrie does to fake this factrs. Streching zooming with AR changes etc. is wrong !

So either you accept that you will have bars in many cases, or fake / denie/strech the Picture with yout TV.

But PLEASE do not ask for DVBViewer to make wrong settings.

Qoute: "I do not want wrong AR in DVBViewer.(Full Stop)."

Who said YOU are FORCED to stretch the picture just because i would like to do it?

Like most of all the other features of DVBViewer it could be an option you could use og not use. There is already 8 different settings for aspect ratio now, so one more is not a problem

Qoute: "If people want to have Kate Moss looking like Pam Anderson before her Diet. Set your TV to stretch"

I you had used a little bit of time to read what i was writing you would know that my TV CAN'T stretch when the input signal is VGA.

Qoute: "All teh industrie does to fake this factrs. Streching zooming with AR changes etc. is wrong !"

I live in a free country, and if i want to stretch the picture, i have the rigth to do it, IF i am not forcing other to do the same!

Quote: "So either you accept that you will have bars in many cases, or fake / denie/strech the Picture with yout TV."

As i said it is not possible with my TV, therefore an option to do it in DVBViewer would be nice

Hello (again) !

Please see my poingnat words as they are meant.

You can do with you TV Picture whatever you want.

I want the DVBViewer not to follow this imho wrong attitude.

If your TV can not strech buy a new TV.

(IMHO every actual 16:9 TV has sufficient settings for that),

regardless on which Composite, Component, HDMI, VGA connectionI can feed it.

If yours is not able............. see above.

And again :

If the Broadcasters send you a Picture with the wrong settings for your and my TV,

we can act different with that.

And as I live in a free country too I can state my opinion that tampering with ARs the wrong way is

that: The wrong way.

And the programmers can expect 100+3 Threads here

"My DVBViewer has streched/tampered the ARs what can I do."

Again : That are my 2 cents and my opinion. :rolleyes:

there is still bars in both sides.

In many cases black bars at the left and right (plus non-working zoom) are caused by the NVidia decoder / PureVideo settings. It is recommendable to select "anamorphic / raw aspect" in order to prevent the NVidia stuff from applying an *additional* fixed AR adjustment.

Furthermore, black bars on all sides will show up if 4:3 video is broadcasted in a 16:9 container (e.g. BBC). In this case the black bars at the left and right are part of the broadcasted picture; the ones at the top and bottom result from the 16:9 AR adjustment, according to the broadcasted 16:9 flag. This can be handled by configuring one of the DVBViewer Pro zoom presets (Settings -> Zoom -> Recall 0..3) in a way that stretches it to full screen size and selecting it if necessary.

Dunno whether a key can be assigned to the "Zoom Recall" function in DVBViewer Pro... couldn't find it in Options -> Input. It is available in DVBViewer GE, and I've configured it in a way that I can easily select the appropriate zoom setting by pressing one or two times.

An automatic "fullscreen stretch", particularly in case of black bars that are broadcasted as part of the picture (not as an apect ratio flag), is not supported by the Microsoft video renderers, so there is not much the DVBViewer devs can do about it (except providing a self-made renderer, but that will be hard work).

Thanks Griga for clearing that out. Your answer made me look into the possible keymappings of DVBV Pro and there are actually a mapping available for 'Zoom Toggle'. When I assigned that to a key I can browse through the four zoom recall settings (0-3). I guess that will do unless there will be more than four channels having the need for individual zoom settings.

• 1 month later...

I would like to see this feature that each channel remembers the aspect ratio assigned to it.

I'm setting up a system for an in-house monitoring system, and we broadcast some 4x3 and some 16x9 material. Unfortunately we are unable to change the AFD that our encoders transmit, meaning they're permanently flagging 4x3. (The guy that makes the hardware is currently unable/unwilling to modify his code to enable us to configure the AFD to be 16x9). So a setting that remembers the preferred aspect ratio for each channel would be perfect for us.