Recording Timeshift

droida38

When timeshifting I´d like to be able to rewind and record from a previous point. But when I try to do that, what´s actually recorded is the current broadcasted signal. Am I doing something wrong?

No, it doesn't work this way. Since every timeshift recording is a "real" reacording, there's no need for such a function. You can easily cut the recording later with Griga's TSPlayer.

No, it doesn't work this way. Since every timeshift recording is a "real" reacording, there's no need for such a function. You can easily cut the recording later with Griga's TSPlayer.

Ok thanks. Allthough I'm not convinced that there is no need for such a function, it would make things a bit simpler - and most other Mediacenter programs (and harddiskrecorders) offers that function.

But anyway, I can live with this solution. Hope that the developerteam some day implements the userfriendly one :rolleyes:

Listen, the man says:

"No, it doesn't work this way. Since every timeshift recording is a "real" reacording, there's no need such a function"

I think this is an good example of the "tone" in this Forum. Its like talking to some Almigthy Kings!

Please be patient with us, we are "Newbies", but we have donated the 15 silver dollars!

I'm watching a programm and I decide to save that program from 5 minutes ago . What shoud I do ?

So you are just watching - without timeshift, without recording? Where do you want to get the data from 5 minutes ago?

In case timeshift was active: You can cut the timeshift-recording later on with the TSPlayer (have a look at the corresponding readme).

This is one of the really gracefull thing in MCE2005: Don't bother about timeshift, its just there! If you are watching, you are timeshifting. Another clever thing is that if you have scheduled a recording you can start MCE up in the midle of the recording, then MCE uses the current recording as the timeshift file. The user don't need to do anything. If you are watching a show and in the middle of the show decide to record it, MCE uses the timeshift file automatically and records the show from the beginning!

Then why dont i just use MCE2005?

Becuase MCE2005 can't deliver DVB Subtitles!

Guest Lars_MQ

Well, as soon, as we deliver our own operating system with the DVBViewer, have a development group of several thousand people, charge you for each update a ridiculous amount of money and remove half of the dvb tv-viewing capability, we think about adding such stuff... :)

I was just answering Olivers question: "So you are just watching - without timeshift, without recording? Where do you want to get the data from 5 minutes ago?"

I know that feature request belongs to another tread.

and most other Mediacenter programs (and harddiskrecorders) offers that function.

At least some of them. And indeed for some users WYSIWYR (What You See Is What You Record :)) seems to be more understandable. There were similiar requests in the German section of the forum.

However, there are also good reasons for following the DVBViewer principle: "Keep playback and recording as separate as possible". First of all, if the playback section crashes or gets disturbed somehow, the recording won't be affected, because it is handled by a different thread. Secondly, an ongoing recording doesn't prevent the user from switching over to other channels and record them too (particularly if there are two or more DVB devices). Or from watching a video in DVBViewer while recording. Or from switching playback completely off, so that DVBViewer does nothing but recording, silently in the background with very low CPU usage. Very flexible, much freedom. But more freedom mostly means more complexity.... there you are.

Citat: "Keep playback and recording as separate as possible"

This is exactly what MCE does. It has 4 threads running where ehrecvr.exe manages the recording, even when MCE is not started, so playback can crash as much as it want, and you can exit the MCE application, recording continues. When MCE is started the current channel is automatically timeshifted, and upon exit the timeshifted file is deleted, if its not a recording

I know it is not fair as a non programmer to say something is easy, but is it complicated to let the timshifting service start timeshifting as default when DVBViewer starts. Then if the user in the middle of a show want to record it, the service could promote the timeshift file to a recording?

Guest Lars_MQ
, but is it complicated to let the timshifting service start timeshifting as default when DVBViewer starts.

Well that's one thing I will never ever want, not as default.

But you can activate it, it's easy:

select automatic timeshift in the options and tick keep timeshift file, and remember to clean up your timeshift files, otherwise your hd will be full in no time.

I completly agree with you. It need to be selectable, and i know i can do that, but you forgot my second sentence: "and upon exit the timeshifted file is deleted, if its not a recording"

And this should of course also be selectable

Guest Lars_MQ
And this should of course also be selectable

Unselect "Keep timeshift file" in DVBViewer menu. Everytime you switch channels the timeshift file will be deleted (also on exit).