General question regarding setup

René Eske Jensen

Hi Guys,

Just bought DVBViewer. Now I am reconsidering my setup, because I have a server standing that is always turned on, so I am thinking of moving the TV tuner card to that PC. I have the following reasons for that:

1) Since it is always on, every PC in my PC network will be able to stream the TV signal from a server on that machine - I don't have to turn on my normal PC for others to see TV.

2) This is the main reason. When I want to record something I can (hopefully) do this on the server, meaning my normal PC won't be "locked" when recording.

This leads to my question: Since my server doesn't have a display, but instead i access it with tightVNC (remote desktop app), how does it work? I am aware that I will be unable to watch TV on it, but that is not what I want, instead I just want to use DVBViewer to record. Will that be possible in a good manner?

Thanks in advance,

René

Well, I have a similar setup and you should be able to achieve what you described. On your server you have to run DVBserver (in the DVBViewer folder) and the Recording service(version 1.0.5 is in member area). Then on each client you just install DVBViewer. The trick is to copy the channel.dat that the server will use in each client folder. It took me a bit of time to figure out all the settings but when done it works very nicely so it's worth it!

Well, I have a similar setup and you should be able to achieve what you described. On your server you have to run DVBserver (in the DVBViewer folder) and the Recording service(version 1.0.5 is in member area). Then on each client you just install DVBViewer. The trick is to copy the channel.dat that the server will use in each client folder. It took me a bit of time to figure out all the settings but when done it works very nicely so it's worth it!

I can't get what you describe to work. On my machine, the recording service will only work when the DVBViewer on the machine with the hardware runs with access directly to the hardware. As soon as change the setup to run with DVBServer I obviously also have to change DVBViewer to access a unicast stream in stead of direct access to the hardware - then the recording service won't work. The recording simply doesn't start up. I don't really understand why.

Do you have any tricks as to how you managed to get it running? I would really like to have it running, programming the timers via the web interface is really cool!

BR,

René

The main problem are several hw limit you must facing... :)

The first is that you have got only one tuner, so only one app at time can get control of and use it...

Another limit is that, of course the unique app could stream to more than 1 client, also different channels, but they must came from the same transponder...

So you can try to get rid of this limit getting some more tuner and maybe "specializing" them for different tasks, but then another problem whould arise with the LNB: you can connect all that tuner to ona dish but the LNB output is limited to 1 band/polarization at time...

To resolve this last limit you must have a separate dish for each tuner or a quad LNB with a multiswitch...

So you can see that, unfortunately, what you want to do is certainly possible, but is not so simple as they whould appear at first sight...

;)

Edited by Gioxy
So you can see that, unfortunately, what you want to do is certainly possible, but is not so simple as they whould appear at first sight...

Well - for me there would still be no problems. We only have on transponder with three channels here in Denmark anyway.

BR,

René

Hello !

Well but the Danish People I know (from the border) are very good in German,

so that might raise the number of possible channels and Transponders.

And , obviously, you are good in English.

Or....

wait a minute:

Do we talk about DVB-T? Than you are somwhat limited.

(I am on DVB-S what gives you a variety of Channels in different languages.)

Do we talk about DVB-T? Than you are somwhat limited.

(I am on DVB-S what gives you a variety of Channels in different languages.)

I am living in the northern part of denmark, and we are talking only DVB-T - so I am limited to DR, DR2 and TV2. But that is enough for me, plenty of quality stuff on it. Often times just not when I have the time for watching TV. That where DVBViewer comes in handy for me.

It would be a nice feature - to be able to use the recording service on the server with DVBViewer running. The recording service should then obviously have highest priority if there are more than one transponder.

BR

René