Graphic card

TPO

Hi,

I´m a new user of DVBViewer Pro.

I installed the application on a fresh P4 Dualcore 2.8GHz computer with 2GB RAM

and a Nvidia Gforce 7300LE graphic card. I also have a TT Budget S3200 DVB-S2 card installed.

I use the codecs which came along with the TT-card (PowerDVD).

I got it all working fine after the installation and followed some very good advice from this excelent forum.

so I think the settings in the application is done correctly.

When watching H.264 channels from Thor 2/3 (DVB-S2) the CPU utilisation is between 80-100%

The picture runs almost smoothly, but I´m not 100% satisfied.

My question is if I would get a better result with an other graphic card which could ofload the CPU

or should the 7300LE card be good enough.

I also bought a CoreAVC codec, but had to do a reinstallation of the OS (WinXP MCE 2005 2:nd rollout) and after that I can´t reinstall the CoreAVC-codec (stupid licensing policy from Corecodec !!!) I will not purchase a new codec every time I decide to change OS or must do a OS-reinstallation

(I think I´m not the only one who is an entusiastic hobbyist doing experiments on a computer!)

Please advice!

Hi,

I´m a new user of DVBViewer Pro.

I installed the application on a fresh P4 Dualcore 2.8GHz computer with 2GB RAM

and a Nvidia Gforce 7300LE graphic card. I also have a TT Budget S3200 DVB-S2 card installed.

I use the codecs which came along with the TT-card (PowerDVD).

I got it all working fine after the installation and followed some very good advice from this excelent forum.

so I think the settings in the application is done correctly.

When watching H.264 channels from Thor 2/3 (DVB-S2) the CPU utilisation is between 80-100%

The picture runs almost smoothly, but I´m not 100% satisfied.

My question is if I would get a better result with an other graphic card which could ofload the CPU

or should the 7300LE card be good enough.

I also bought a CoreAVC codec, but had to do a reinstallation of the OS (WinXP MCE 2005 2:nd rollout) and after that I can´t reinstall the CoreAVC-codec (stupid licensing policy from Corecodec !!!) I will not purchase a new codec every time I decide to change OS or must do a OS-reinstallation

(I think I´m not the only one who is an entusiastic hobbyist doing experiments on a computer!)

Please advice!

I have two graphic cards: Geforce 7600GS and Radeon X1550. I have just started to exprerience the ATI card but seems that Nvidia is far better with H.264 stuff. So, I your case upgrading the card to more high end Nvidia card might help a little. I have found the best picture quality with the following settings:

- overlay of unchanged (= VMR7 windowed) video renderer

- Cyberlink coded with DXVA enabled

CoreAVC is not giving acceptable picture quality to me.

With VMR7 and VMR9 I have loss of synchronization caused by OSD mixing which cause jitter and lost frames. This happens equally with Nvidia and ATI cards.

You may see a little reduction in CPU utilisation (perhaps 10%) if you upgrade to a 7600GT but the basic problem is that Your CPU is not fast enough for smooth h.264 decoding. You need a minimum of a Athlon 64 X2 3800+

Thanks Mitsu and Nigel :)

I have the same settings as Mitsu

- Overlay of unchanged (= VMR7 windowed) video renderer

I also had a feeling that the CPU is not strong enough. Dualcore technology doesn´t seem to

help either.

I will try to upgrade to a stronger Nvidia card. 10% boost in performance should fix the problem

because the current performance is almost satisfactory.

If this doesn´t help I might buy a new computer :radscorpion: .

/TPO

Thanks Mitsu and Nigel :)

I have the same settings as Mitsu

- Overlay of unchanged (= VMR7 windowed) video renderer

I also had a feeling that the CPU is not strong enough. Dualcore technology doesn´t seem to

help either.

I will try to upgrade to a stronger Nvidia card. 10% boost in performance should fix the problem

because the current performance is almost satisfactory.

If this doesn´t help I might buy a new computer :radscorpion: .

/TPO

I have a 3.2G P4 with HT running at 3.6G and a Radeon 7600GS. That configuration is just enough for H.264 reception with 20.4 M bitarate.

I guess you have allowed using both CPUs.

Anyway, I think upgrading the CPU would be cheaper and give more performance improvement.

I have a 3.2G P4 with HT running at 3.6G and a Radeon 7600GS. That configuration is just enough for H.264 reception with 20.4 M bitarate.

I guess you have allowed using both CPUs.

Anyway, I think upgrading the CPU would be cheaper and give more performance improvement.

Yes I´ve unchecked the "use only first cpu" in DVBViewer

Probably youre right about CPU-upgrade. An Intel Pentium D 960 3.6GHz CPU is a better investment than a new GPU.

Yes I´ve unchecked the "use only first cpu" in DVBViewer

Probably youre right about CPU-upgrade. An Intel Pentium D 960 3.6GHz CPU is a better investment than a new GPU.

The VMR modes are more CPU intensive as the overlay mode.

For AC3: you better use the AC3filter1.11

on ATI: don't enable the nvidia fix on VRM modes.

on Nvidia: sure enable nvidia fix.

I did download a mpeg4/h264 test file a while ago that played fine but that was too short.

A test sample should be 2 tot 3 minutes long for short.Now before I confirm this, then someone shoul give a link with a better demo cause our system is not so fast at all.

OK Guys,

I upgraded with an Intel Pentium D 945 3,4 GHz (approx. 100 Eur) and got enough improvment

1920x1088 25fps 20,2 Mbit at 78% CPU load. I´m so happy with the result :radscorpion:

Thanks for your advice