What Is Jitter?

Imbalanced Zero

I've been using DVBViewer for a couple of months and using it to watch BBC HD, mmmmmmmmm.

However there is a minor issue with Jitter in VMR in Vista. I can't actually get results with Overlay, but visually it seems to do the same thing. When I'm watching BBC HD in VMR it will start out fine, no jitter, no drop in frame rate and no dropped frames.

In time, usually a random amount of time between 5 seconds to 2 minutes, Jitter seems to become progressively higher and the frame rate will slowly decrease to about 17fps, with no dropped frames :bye: After this I just rebuild the graph and it starts smoothly again.

I think i've got a pretty decent PC. Core2Duo 6800 with 2GB RAM, 7800 GTX. I'm using the latest beta Forceware drivers too - 101.41 which is supposed to support Purevideo. I'm using PowerDVD 7.X H.264 Video filter. DXVA doesn't seem to make a difference whether it's on or off.

Media Player Classic doesn't seem to suffer from this Jitter when a BBC HD .ts video is played back in VMR9 Renderless (Only mode I've really tried), playback is pretty flawless but crashes when i tick the VMR9 Mixing tab :S

What causes Jitter and what exactly is it? Is it just a case of Nvidia improving their drivers?

Many thanks

Edited by Imbalanced Zero
I've been using DVBViewer for a couple of months and using it to watch BBC HD, mmmmmmmmm.

However there is a minor issue with Jitter in VMR in Vista. I can't actually get results with Overlay, but visually it seems to do the same thing. When I'm watching BBC HD in VMR it will start out fine, no jitter, no drop in frame rate and no dropped frames.

In time, usually a random amount of time between 5 seconds to 2 minutes, Jitter seems to become progressively higher and the frame rate will slowly decrease to about 17fps, with no dropped frames :bye: After this I just rebuild the graph and it starts smoothly again.

I think i've got a pretty decent PC. Core2Duo 6800 with 2GB RAM, 7800 GTX. I'm using the latest beta Forceware drivers too - 101.41 which is supposed to support Purevideo. I'm using PowerDVD 7.X H.264 Video filter. DXVA doesn't seem to make a difference whether it's on or off.

Media Player Classic doesn't seem to suffer from this Jitter when a BBC HD .ts video is played back in VMR9 Renderless (Only mode I've really tried), playback is pretty flawless but crashes when i tick the VMR9 Mixing tab :S

What causes Jitter and what exactly is it? Is it just a case of Nvidia improving their drivers?

Many thanks

Jitter is the deviation in or displacement of some aspect of the pulses in a high-frequency digital signal. As the name suggests, jitter can be thought of as shaky pulses. The deviation can be in terms of amplitude, phase timing, or the width of the signal pulse

I am getting the same problem when watching bbc hd, after about 5 minuites it starts to jitter and using the "rebuild graph" option fixes it for another 5 minuites. Is there any fix for this?