BBC World TV free on Astra 19°E

Griga

Cool - we have got a DXer forum now :angry:

Here's something remarkable to start with: I've just found BBC World TV free on Astra 19° East. Don't know wether it will stay free... the channel data:

Frequency 12284, Symbol Rate 27500, Polarisation V, FEC 3/4, Video-PID 167, Audio-PID 108, Service-ID 17027, LNB-Switch 22 khz, LNB Frequency 10600

They are broadcasting in a strange format - actually 4:3, but with black stripes, so it comes down to something between 4:3 and 16:9 - have a look at it.

Griga

Guest hackbart

yes, something between 4:3 and 16:9 means 14:9. I expected this in the past, while reading several documents.. This seems to be a ordinary format in england...

Christian

• 2 weeks later...
yes, something between 4:3 and 16:9 means 14:9. I expected this in the past, while reading several documents.. This seems to be a ordinary format in england...

14:9 (shallow letterbox) is a very common compromise format mainly found on analogue TV in the UK, it's a nice way of showing 16:9 material on 4:3 analogue TV without having to resort to a deep letterbox or cropping a 4:3 centre cut-out that can really decimate the picture.

BBC World is a little odd, it does actually originate from a full 16:9 digital component studio but unlike the domestic 'News 24' service its presentation is ARC'ed to 14:9 in a 4:3 letterbox (14L12), I guess the feeling is that most of the world still has 4:3 sets so sending out 16:9 anamorphic images would be asking for trouble.

I'm not sure about this feed on 19e, it seems quite ropey, very blurred and compressed and there's also the presense of analogue artefacts like sparklies. I think the traditional FTA version on 13e is better.

The domestic equivalent in the UK is somewhat better (picture wise) :-

n24.jpg

n24-02.jpg

BBCi-bar.jpg

Part of the interactive stuff