Dvbserver Questions

niknas

I've noticed that some other users besides me can't really get a grasp of how the DVBServer is supposed to be setup and how it works in a typical setup.

I've managed to get it to work using a DVBViewer client on computer#1 and a DVBServer on computer#2 using a single DVB-t tuner without any problems apart from an initial snag with the tuning/channels.

Let's say that we have we have four client/DVBViewer computers and a DVBServer computer with three DVB-T tuners. As far I can understand, I setup the DVBServer in three instances and assign different unicast ports for each server. In the clients, I just add the Unicast devices for each server instance and then distribute the channel list to each client since I can't scan from the unicast devices.

Question #1: User#1 starts watching live TV using one of the unicast devices. What if another user already uses one of the unicast devices? How does the other DVBViewer clients know what device to use? Loops through the devices and picks one that is not being used?

Question #2: AFAIK, all recordings are planned,stored and executed at the client using the recordingservice/DVBViewer. Why isn't this done at the DVBserver so the the clients don't have to be on/standby at the time of the recording?

Questions #3: Alla the devices are in use by user#1-3. User#4 wants to watch a channel on the same mux as user#3 but different from the channel user#3 is watching. How is this done? Does user#4 DVBViewer "see" that user#3 is on the current mux, selects that device and then user#4 DVBViewer tunes to that channel from the .ts stream?

Thanks in advance!

Why isn't this done at the DVBserver so the the clients don't have to be on/standby at the time of the recording?

Because you would need

1. a complete recording engine in the server

2. a complete epg handling in the server

3. a complete channel handling on in the server

4. a syncronisation mechanism for the timers between clients and the server

5. a solution for conflicts

6. an obscene amount of time for the programm writing of such thing. :bye:

Because you would need

6. an obscene amount of time for the programm writing of such thing. :bye:

As far as I can see you allready have those things on the server as you have installed DVBViewer. A solution would be to run a DVBViewer(client) on the server with the web plugin. Then you would just have to schedule recordings through a browser.

As for the other things I would too like to now how DVBViewer or server can handle that. I am in the exact same need for these server/client features.

The real question is: when will the recording service and the dvbserver application be merged into one application being the "core" and the Viewer just connects to this application no matter where it is installed? :bye:

Because you would need

6. an obscene amount of time for the programm writing of such thing. ;)

I do understand what you're saying with regards to the development work needed for a "correct" solution, but as resident says, we already have the DVBViewer installed at the server so perhaps some "quick" fix is possible?

If I can get a grip on the other questions, perhaps this is doable through the COM interface??

Anyways, any ideas on the other questions? I have a client of mine that uses Mediaportal TV Server, but it's very unstable so a migration to DVBViewer is close at hand... :bye:

Is there some resource that I could use to find out myself about these questions? I've tried searching for it, but I can't seem to find the correct info. Surely someone else has done this multipletuners/multiple clients setup?

• 2 weeks later...

I would also like an easier solution for the recording/streaming problem. I understand that a complete new core will take a lot of time. On the other hand, dvbserver and recording service on their own are actually pretty stable. I would like a recording service that can run without hardware access (when the dvbserver occupies the device), but can shutdown the dvbserver via webinterface. Installing the DVBViewer (client) on my server PC is no solution because it a) becomes master user for streaming and blocks the others PCs and :) does not provide such a nice webinterface

Greetings, Simon

blocks the others PCs and does not provide such a nice webinterface

At least that's not true. The webserver for DVBViewer and the webplugin for the service are nearly the same in functionality. :)

• 3 months later...
The real question is: when will the recording service and the dvbserver application be merged into one application being the "core" and the Viewer just connects to this application no matter where it is installed? :bounce:

A very good question. Will someone competent answer it?

Question #2: AFAIK, all recordings are planned,stored and executed at the client using the recordingservice/DVBViewer. Why isn't this done at the DVBserver so the the clients don't have to be on/standby at the time of the recording?

You could use a client on the server for scheduling purposes and operate it with VNC. Then store your recordings on a NAS device or other network share that all clients share as media share. This may not be ideal, but it's quite close. And it leaves other options open.

Regards, Eppo