Sync to timecode

AndersB

It seems that DVBViewer is using the system time and not syncing with the timecode in the dvb signal. Is there any way to enable this in order to get recordings correct? Sometime, my system time might be a couple of minutes of and I need to correct it manually. Of course, I can use NTP to make sure it's correct but it would be easier if DVBViewer had the functionality already.

DVBViewer should sync with ntp? maybe you should simply create a task in the taskmanager doing just this, cause it think it's no up to the app messing with the systems time. BTW. this could cause problems for non admin users...

There is the W32Time Service, it's part of Windows XP, Windows 2000 and I believe Vista has it, too... you can configure it to get the time from NTP automatically... you need to configure it through some registry tweaks, google will help you :bye:

But I think AndersB meant, that the DVBViewer should use a time code which is transmitted with the DVB Broadcast to decide when to start the recording, if I got him right... But I don't know about such a code.. :)

Edited by Moses
But I don't know about such a code..

It's called Time Date Table (TDT) and Time offset table (TOT). Yes there is something like this in the DVBStream (if youre lucky and your broadcaster transmits it).

BUT if your timedrift is this big, we're talking 2 minutes and more,you should thing about a new pc. Yours seems definetly broken... Or it must move at a very very high speed all the time so relativity kicks in. :bye:

There is a time code in the TDT (PID 0x0014). But imho this table is not very useful. Besides, the application would have to monitor this table constantly :bye:

It's called Time Date Table (TDT) and Time offset table (TOT). Yes there is something like this in the DVBStream (if youre lucky and your broadcaster transmits it).

BUT if your timedrift is this big, we're talking 2 minutes and more,you should thing about a new pc. Yours seems definetly broken... Or it must move at a very very high speed all the time so relativity kicks in. :)

I guess this is what the STB's use to set time. I never really got the m$ implementation of NTP to work and I am reluctant to install additional NTP clients on the DVBViewer PC as it is dedicated purely to DVBViewer and I don't want to clutter it with other apps. Therefor I think it would have been great if DVBViewer had the capability to use the TDT/TOT data in the signal to set system time (given that this data is broadcasted and DVBViewer is running as local admin). And yes, the PC is in much need of a hardware upgrade but as it work most of the time I haven't really come around to it

There is a old ( :bye: ) "Teletext Systemclock Update" that make the work you need from the Teletext signal; you can find it in the member page...

For info about it have look at this post (click me)...

Great, will check it out - if it doesn't work I guess I have to go the NTP route for now

Hmm maybe as a plugin. I don't want to put it into the main app (for now).

It must set the systemtime of the pc, the viewer can't use a independend time from the system.

It only needs to use the TDT. The time is GMT (hopfully) and windows knows the timebias (offset and daylight saving). And a constant monitoring is not necessary.

The question is when to synchronize. Once every hour, on first tuning after start, on every new tuning (not good, the times between broadcasters may differ), every 12 hours.

I think on first tunig after start and the every x hours (x to be set by user) should do it.

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben...p;x=19&y=12

Most important values should be:

NtpServer

Period

You have to start the service (and restart it after everychange of the parameters) using "net start/stop w32time".... on Windows XP you can see which server is used, the time of the last synchronisation and the time of the next synchronisation in the time settings (if you double click onto the clock).

Maybe that will help, till Lars finished the plugin :bye: