DivX-Recording

Unauthorized

Frage 13: Wieso kann der DVBViewer nicht gleich DivX abspeichern?   

Die Umwandlung der über Satellit ausgestrahlten Daten ist leider sehr rechenaufwendig. Derzeit ist kein Personal Computer in der Lage die eingehenden Mpeg2 Daten zu dekodieren und neu zu komprimieren.

That's definitely wrong! I recently read this in the german FAQ and couldn't believe it, so I made a test with GraphEdit:

.marfi_Sky -> Mainconcept Video -> DivX 5.0.5 Enc. -> Avi Mux -> File Writer

------------ -> Mainconcept Audio -> Lame MP3 Enc. -> -------------------------

Pressed play and voilà: I got a perfect AVI with DivX and MP3!

My Hardware: AthlonXP 2400+ @ 2200/185, NF7-S, 512MB DDR @ 185, WinXP SP1

Guest Oliver

The problem is: You can't use two- or multi-pass encoding. With single pass encoding you'll get only 60-70% of the quality and you can't determine the file-size.

It's also difficult to cut a DivX-videofile since you can only cut at keyframes without quality loss. And you can't use a decent de-interlacer like the Smart-de-interlacer of Donald Graft or other filters.

Bye, Oliver

Can you post this graph as attachment? (*.grf)

I think you cant have a high quality DivX video. A real good conversion needs some time

Don't misunderstand "perfect AVI", I only mean it had constant 25 fps and so. I know it's not high quality, but if you only want to use DVBViewer as VCR, it would be the best solution - few space and some quality. ;)