3.6.3.0 and earlier: Teletext not showing

Klaus_1250

I have one channel for which Teletext is not accessible through DVBViewer. I checked on my STB, and there it shows. TPID is also correct and Transedit shows it is receiving the Teletext stream BUT it also marks it as encrypted? I'm not sure whether or not the Teletext stream is actually encrypted, but it would make it the only channel with encrypted TT and it is just a regular channel.

Is there any way to mark the TT-stream as non-encrypted manually, to see whether or not the TT-stream is really encrypted or wheter it is a bug in DVBViewer / bug/error from the Cable Company?

I should point out that when doing an full transponder scan with Transedit, it does not recognize any of the channels/streams on that particular transponder while only scanning the specific transponder, it does recognize all channels and streams (but with the TT-stream for the channel in question as encrypted).

Is there any way to mark the TT-stream as non-encrypted manually, to see whether or not the TT-stream is really encrypted

You can see it in the TransEdit Analyzer -> PID List. It examines the transport_scrambling_control in the TS header and displays encrypted streams in red.

Yes, it shows in red. But I'm really not sure if that is correct, because there does not seem to be a point in encrypting a teletext-stream and it would be the only TT-stream on the cable that is encrypted. Plus, DVBViewer does not show Teletext for the channel, but our STB does.

Double-checked: DigitalTV can't show the TT-stream either, so I guess they really encrypted it. Any specific reason why DVBViewer is not able to decrypt it?

Edited by Klaus_1250
Any specific reason why DVBViewer is not able to decrypt it?

no, but I'm quite sure that the CI_module will descramble this stream like video or audio provided you have a valid subscription.

Subscription is valid. It works for the audio and videostream for the channel, which is encrypted too. Anyway I can see why DVBViewer does not receive the teletext stream?

Channel is Veronica/Jetix on DVB-C (TV Home/Essent, Netherlands). CI-module is Alphacrypt with 3.11 firmware. DVB-C card is Twinhan Cab-CI Mantis with 1.0.5.6 drivers. All channels work ok, channel in question also works ok, except for Teletext. Teletext does work on the STB (Humax IR-FOX C).

..can't check your cable :) Wrong channel settings could be one possibility. Try a freh scan. Otherwise I don't know. Maybe @Lars could comment whether a videotext stream is part of the ca_pmt. It should be if the stream is scrambled..

videotext isn't scrambled normally.

If it has ca descriptors it is will be in the ca_pmt, I have to read in the specs if this would be valid (or a mistake of the broadcaster)... each stream with ca descriptors will be put into the ca_pmt the new routine is far more sophisticated than the old stuff. :)

It's possible that the card/driver/CAM isn't able to handle it. The fact that DigitalTV can't show it either indicates this.

removed cos the reason has disappeared :)

btw. for clarity the edit line should appear for everybody

Edited by Derrick
..but that has to be considered as a bug.

You mean the posting of me before I edited it? I had to correct me, I was a little too fast and wrong with the reply.

I'm quite convinced it is a driver and/or CAM problem. If the original program of the card can't handle it it must be...

I can fix it by turning "Force Reading Original PMT" to On/Auto in the Alphacrypt menu (why didn't I try to immediately). Setting it to Off again disabled Teletext.

I don't know enough about the internal workings to know if it is a bug in the driver, broadcaster fluke or otherwise. Scambling Videotext is awkward, but it could be they are testing it. Or they turned it on accidental. But since the STB can handle it, and the Alphacrypt, I think it is either the Twinhan driver or perhaps something in DVBViewer.

Edited by Klaus_1250
I can fix it by turning "Force Reading Original PMT" to On/Auto in the Alphacrypt menu (why didn't I try to immediately). Setting it to Off again disabled Teletext.

I don't know enough about the internal workings to know if it is a bug in the driver, broadcaster fluke or otherwise. Scambling Videotext is awkward, but it could be they are testing it. Or they turned it on accidental. But since the STB can handle it, and the Alphacrypt, I think it is either the Twinhan driver or perhaps something in DVBViewer.

If your STB works with what is sent by the box and you don't need the o_pmt, then I suspect that the ca_pmt sent by the DVBViewer/driver to the module is incomplete or wrong. Impossible to pinpoint the exact reason from here..

I emailed Azurewave. See if they reply (Twinhan never did, I doubt they even read email).

[edit]Received a read receipt :-) That's already more than I ever got from Twinhan.[/edit]

Edited by Klaus_1250