8500 GT Nvidia Video jitter

boborg

Hi guys

so back from the tour and my final conclusion.

no wonder what I do the 8600 GT with every critical channel begins to judder after some minutes for some seconds before the motions gets fluent again , after some time judder .... then motion fluent again. Same story everytime. For me this looks like kind of a buffer overflow somewhere in the graphiccard. This is completely independent from the decoder I use.

recorded critical channels play back troublefree with DVBViewer pro or all kind of mediaplayers.

(Windows XP - PDVD (built 2911 with DXVA) or nvidia -nero - mainconcept -Elcard )and its independent from the renderer I use . Didn`t try the Sonic though , but I remember tried it with the 7600 GT to no avail).

Only time this judder seems to be under control is with the DVBViewer GE and EVR .

I gonna wait for the next drivers from NVIdias driverhell , with little hope , but think I will sell the card as soon as the ATI 2600 series

are available. (same as Karlchen , BertM and Boberg )

Rig: XP (SP2) - Asus P5B DLX- E6700- Corsair RAM - Asus 8600 GT - Panasonic 42" PHD 8 cal. @ 720p/50Hz HDMI

****sent Griga a pn to have a look into this thread but no answer yet

Edited by vonMengen
  • Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ricabullah

• vonMengen

• arfster

• boborg

so you don't have issues with recordings only with live TV? Then it's most likely not a problem of your graphicsboard or decoder...

there where someone that had such issues because of his soundcard, which is responsible for the clock of the whole filter-graph!

(It's a german thread, you should be able to find it)

You could have a look at DVB Source filter and the buffer count.

so you don't have issues with recordings only with live TV? Then it's most likely not a problem of your graphicsboard or decoder...

there where someone that had such issues because of his soundcard, which is responsible for the clock of the whole filter-graph!

(It's a german thread, you should be able to find it)

You could have a look at DVB Source filter and the buffer count.

interesting moses

A.t.m. I have 49 allocated buffers in DVB source with overlay and DXVA,

and 5- 6 with VMR9 and EVR ......Framedrops 2 in VRM ---Framedrops 0 in EVR

as you see , i went through this hell last year as well with my 7600 GT !

there I disabled the creative sound card , uninstalled the drivers , installed a fresh copy of XP and activated the onboardsound

believe me ... no change at all..

I changed the motherboard lately and did`t try this hack above ....simply because I am really tired

right now ..

tired of these Fu$§&%ing Nvidia cards with their Fu§$%&% childish drivers

if you see above ... how many hours and days I tried to get this cards to work , I think everyone will understand

it .

last year i was completely alone , this year (if you see the other postings) more people seem to

be aware that these cards simply do not work in some configurations or simply don`t work correctly at all.

I will go the easy way ....sell this crap and buy a ATI 2600 pro at the very same moment this card is on the market.

Edited by vonMengen

If playback of the recordings works without issues, then it's not the sole fault of the card or the decoder. :)

That's all I say. If you want to sell your card, because of too much frustration, just go on and do so.

no wonder what I do the 8600 GT with every critical channel begins to judder after some minutes for some seconds before the motions gets fluent again , after some time judder .... then motion fluent again. Same story everytime. For me this looks like kind of a buffer overflow somewhere in the graphiccard. This is completely independent from the decoder I use.

This is a different issue to me then, although seemingly caused by the same "difficult" channels that upset the purevideo decoder. Are there any news channels that don't do this for you?

Try DVBdream or other free dvb players perhaps?

Oh, and can you see any jitter/framedrop in the vmr9 properties page? If so, try setting your display to 60hz and see if it goes away. Obviously the display will now be juddering (50fps at 60hz = yuck), but if you don't get jitter on the vmr9 stats anymore then you've just proved it was a timing issue.

Edited by arfster
This is a different issue to me then, although seemingly caused by the same "difficult" channels that upset the purevideo decoder. Are there any news channels that don't do this for you?

Try DVBdream or other free dvb players perhaps?

Oh, and can you see any jitter/framedrop in the vmr9 properties page? If so, try setting your display to 60hz and see if it goes away. Obviously the display will now be juddering (50fps at 60hz = yuck), but if you don't get jitter on the vmr9 stats anymore then you've just proved it was a timing issue.

Hi arfster

DVBViewer pro ...Renderer : Unchanged (best so far) :

newschannels :

ntv-n24-bloomberg- phoenix

@ 60 Hz..... the normal 60 Hz judder ........ Framedrops 0 ....Jitter 0

@50 Hz...... smooth as silk for 0 -4 minutes (varies much) then motionartefacts or judder with tickertapes for 10 -30 sek. Framedrops 0...... Jitter 0

same with AltDVB

Edited by vonMengen

Hi guys!

I wish i had Astra to check it out. I mean as live.

Maybe some day i gonna settle a 3 meter satellitte bowl (!)

@50 Hz...... smooth as silk for 0 -4 minutes (varies much) then motionartefacts or judder with tickertapes for 10 -30 sek. Framedrops 0...... Jitter 0

I think this is possibly the key thing. Do you get this problem every few minutes with 60hz also? Or is it impossible to tell amongst the normal 50fps @ 60hz judder?

Checked out your channels just now (02:00 CET)

N24: showing some military/navy program, with ticker news. Occasional flick to film, the standard purevideo misanalysis I posted about above. Nothing like what you get though, it's fairly minor and only lasts a second or so.

Phoenix: some prog about neanderthals on gibraltar. Totally smooth 50fps, stayed with video.

Bloomberg: financial news stuff, with two tickers at different speeds. Stayed at smooth 50fps video all the way - this is really challenging for a decoder too.

NTV: can't get (unless it's NTV hayat sat, in which case it's encrypted)

Saw again what I mentioned above: deinterlacing on sharp edges, particularly text, is a fair bit better with Cyberlink/EVR than Nvidia/VMR9. It just seems to wobble a little vertically with the latter.

System: Vista32, 8500GT, 160.04 drivers, DVBViewer Pro, Skystar2, latest beta WDM drivers.

Edited by arfster
I think he talks about "n-tv" which should be on the RTL World Transponder.

Right guys

n-tv ...you are correct here Moses

and yes arfster this is totally right

its very difficult to tell the difference between normal 60 Hz and 50 Hz judder here

the occasional 50 Hz judder may appear after 10 sec. ....or it may appear after 4 minutes

but it WILL appear with every critical channel , and there are a lot of them

You get fooled if you are not patient enough to test this issue for minutes

and best is ..I cannot modify the timings to see if there is a change between

the old 7600 GT and the 8600 GT , because no driver ! from NVidia works

with custom resolutions ! 3 months after the release date of the 8xxx series.

you get a black screen if you are modifying one single value of the timing parameters !

this custom resolution control panel is totally screwed up in every driver. Try it , you will see.

And they use incorrect values.

There is a workaround on AVS to change the inf. file . This does only work though with vista and only on

mondays between 7.00 and 8.03.h .....

So I have to stick with NVidias interpretation of 720 p and wait for new drivers that for sure

will be better as the old ones , "Gozillas revenge " the new egoshooter will be faster than before

and 3Dmark2006 will approve from a 5203 to 5217 score.

Edited by vonMengen
I think he talks about "n-tv" which should be on the RTL World Transponder.

Right guys

n-tv ...you are correct here Moses

and yes arfster this is totally right

its very difficult to tell the difference between normal 60 Hz and 50 Hz judder here

the occasional 50 Hz judder may appear after 10 sec. ....or it may appear after 4 minutes

but it WILL appear with every critical channel , and there are a lot of them

You get fooled if you are not patient enough to test this issue for minutes

and best is ..I cannot modify the timings to see if there is a change between

the old 7600 GT and the 8600 GT , because no driver ! from NVidia I tried so far works

with custom resolutions ! 3 months after the release date of the 8xxx series.

you get a black screen if you are modifying one single value of the timing parameters !

this custom resolution control panel is totally screwed up in every driver. Try it , you will see.

There is a workaround on AVS to change the inf. file . This does only work though with vista and only on

mondays between 7.00 and 8.03.h .....

So I have to stick with NVidias interpretation of 720 p and wait for new drivers that for sure

will be better as the old ones , "Gozillas revenge " the new egoshooter will be for sure faster than before

and 3Dmark2006 will approve from a 5203 to a 5217 score.

and look @ Nvidias 720 p 50 Hz ! if you try to change resolutions , its actually 720 interlaced .. OMG

you can damage your tv

40503580qk5.jpg

Edited by vonMengen

Surprisingly I managed to create working timings for 1920x1080p24 using the crappy Nvidia control panel (8500GT).

In my system seems that all other channels but H.264 are working including MPEG2 HD channels. Maybe I haven't tested enough so far.

and look @ Nvidias 720 p 50 Hz ! if you try to change resolutions , its actually 720 interlaced .. OMG

you can damage your tv

urrrgh, yuck. Weird though, for me Vista 720p 50hz has been a regular resolution for ages, with several different cards.

Given that our systems are pretty much otherwise identical, and you're getting no renderer jitter recorded in the vmr stats page, I think display timing is by far the most likely source of your problem. If the card can't accurately detect resolutions your TV is capable of, who knows what timings it's using...

Edited by arfster
urrrgh, yuck. Weird though, for me Vista 720p 50hz has been a regular resolution for ages, with several different cards.

Given that our systems are pretty much otherwise identical, and you're getting no renderer jitter recorded in the vmr stats page, I think display timing is by far the most likely source of your problem. If the card can't accurately detect resolutions your TV is capable of, who knows what timings it's using...

Hi arfster

Right ... but I think I will not wait 1 year til this company will fix it ..

it took one year to get some kind of VMR fix light from NVidia ...you remember ?

They never fixed the problems with the 7600 GT at all....

I gonna wait for the next drivers and if there is no solution

with custom resolutions and custom timings or support for Powerstrip

Bingo...same procedure as last year .. ...ATI I am coming ...but this time I swear ... forever.

Weird ..this card has so much potential , is silent , has low power requirements .....

best

vm

Edited by vonMengen
Weird ..this card has so much potential , is silent , has low power requirements ....

You are so sure as if you've tried that card?

Do not forget we are used to meet disappointments!

You are so sure as if you've tried that card?

Do not forget we are used to meet disappointments!

Hi Rica

This time I meant the Asus 8600 GT :bounce:

The roll out of the 2600 cards will begin in July , so there are no reports yet

I really like the 8600 GT .. as well in terms of H.264 HD ---- in my current rig the GPU does a good job (4-8 % load)

PQ is better compared with the 7600 GT catastrophe , though it doesn`t completely rival the 1950 pro in terms of color fidelity

and absence of banding artefacts, bilinear scaling has much approved imo and is now on par with ATI ,

only the VGA implementation is not overwhelming....

But sadly the same incompability as last year hit me again.

But I mean the green company has a last chance until July

to pull a driver out of its green driverjungle with working custom resolutions or support for powerstrip.

But anyone who is sensitive to judder and motion artefacts will understand me...

If you are trained on it , you see it everywhere.

Would be nice , if the other reporters of judder and motionartefacts (BertM ,Boberg) would write about their problems

best

vm

Edited by vonMengen

Although the H.264 peformance of the 8600GTS is very good (with the 165.01 beta driver) as I mentioned before, the majority of TV channels here in the Netherlands are SD-MPEG2.

I have tried the 8600GTS for a few days, both in XP and Vista, but was so annoyed by the judder on SD channels (not only the mentioned ticker tapes, but on any channel with too fast motion) that I gave up and put the 1950XT back in. And with the latest catalyst 7.5 it's a world of difference compared to the 8600GTS.

Funny you mention colour fidelity and banding, vonMengen, because those are the issues where nVidia was always behind on ATI and which pushed me into being an ATI adept. I am lucky I have a TV which I can switch to PC or TV range input on HDMI so I can get rid of the awfull banding of the nVidia series (my 7600's were really a disaster in that respect). The 8600 does better with the TV set to TV range, but still lacks the '3D' look of the ATI. Checking with Colorfacts still shows better performance in colour linearity with ATI with slightly better gamma.

I tried the 8600GTS because of good reviews both here and in AVS-Forum stating that nVidia finally was on par with ATI in picture quality AND gave us full decoding of h264. But what a disappointment!

With the 8600 it is as if the picture isn't ready in time to be presented to the overlay processor and is simply skipped at that point. The atrtefact has nothing to do with deinterlacing as far as I can see; letters in the the ticker tapes just show hickups but are not affected by combing artefacts. It's more like the already mentioned incorrect frequency. Sadly, my display (sharp 42" full-hd lcd) always says '1920x1080 @ 50Hz' when it's not set at 60Hz or 30Hz interlaced so I have no way of checking whether it's really playing at 50Hz.

With the ATI card powerstrip tells me it is set at 50.000 Hz, and when I change this a bit (let's say to 50.100Hz) the frame jumping is also present whith te ATI card (but in a regular pace). Unfortunately powerstrip doesn't work jet with the new 8000 series, so I haven't got a clue if the 1920x1080@50Hz of the nVidia control panel is indeed exactly 50Hz.

Well, I stopped wondering about what might be the cause of the poor performance of the 8600GTS and enjoy the near perfect performance of the 1950XT. Besides that, what's the use knowing what what causes the problem when there's no way to solve it? I am not someone who uses the card simply 'because I payed money for it' and it would be wasted money not to use it... I am looking for good quality video playback and if the new nVidia's can't give me that, it's back to the old solution.

To be honest, I don't expect the new ati's to be perfect from the first day, but when they use the same mpeg2 software there's a fair chance that at least 99% of my video material will be played correclty.

regards,

Bert

I have tried the 8600GTS for a few days, both in XP and Vista, but was so annoyed by the judder on SD channels (not only the mentioned ticker tapes, but on any channel with too fast motion) that I gave up and put the 1950XT back in. And with the latest catalyst 7.5 it's a world of difference compared to the 8600GTS.

Funny you mention colour fidelity and banding, vonMengen, because those are the issues where nVidia was always behind on ATI and which pushed me into being an ATI adept. I am lucky I have a TV which I can switch to PC or TV range input on HDMI so I can get rid of the awfull banding of the nVidia series (my 7600's were really a disaster in that respect). The 8600 does better with the TV set to TV range, but still lacks the '3D' look of the ATI. Checking with Colorfacts still shows better performance in colour linearity with ATI with slightly better gamma.

I tried the 8600GTS because of good reviews both here and in AVS-Forum stating that nVidia finally was on par with ATI in picture quality AND gave us full decoding of h264. But what a disappointment!

With the 8600 it is as if the picture isn't ready in time to be presented to the overlay processor and is simply skipped at that point. The atrtefact has nothing to do with deinterlacing as far as I can see; letters in the the ticker tapes just show hickups but are not affected by combing artefacts. It's more like the already mentioned incorrect frequency. Sadly, my display (sharp 42" full-hd lcd) always says '1920x1080 @ 50Hz' when it's not set at 60Hz or 30Hz interlaced so I have no way of checking whether it's really playing at 50Hz.

With the ATI card powerstrip tells me it is set at 50.000 Hz, and when I change this a bit (let's say to 50.100Hz) the frame jumping is also present whith te ATI card (but in a regular pace). Unfortunately powerstrip doesn't work jet with the new 8000 series, so I haven't got a clue if the 1920x1080@50Hz of the nVidia control panel is indeed exactly 50Hz.

To be honest, I don't expect the new ati's to be perfect from the first day, but when they use the same mpeg2 software there's a fair chance that at least 99% of my video material will be played correclty.

regards,

Bert

Hi Bert

nice you chime in

not much to add ...exactly the same situation here . The panasonic professional plamas have a setting in the menu to see the actual

H and V frequencies and with 720 p over HDMI , it is set to 37,5 and 50,0 Hz by the NVidia drivers.

if you look into the "so called " custom resolutions inside the NVidia control panel , that do not work at all

!!! ...... so don`t try it...

.....you see some display timings that differ from vesa timings and the timings I found ideal for my monitor.

sadly enough I cannot change it .

odd enough I ran into the same problems last year with the 7600 GT , and we agree ..this was by far the worst graphiccard

I ever owned and I tried 2 of them... a MSI and an Asus.

And odd enough ...without changing one parameter the ATI 1900 and 1950 worked out of the box.

No judder, no jidder, perfect pans.

the 8600 has approved in my humble opinion but I agree again in no way a competition for ATI , not even for the last generation of the ATI stuff.

So I think if there is no dramatical change this is my last adventure in the green hell .

best

m

Might be worth you guys trying out reclock, as it has an option to show you exactly what frame rate is actually being output. This is quite useful, as due to timing errors that's not always the same as what you set - on previous 7xxx cards it was often 50.003 or something (50.000 on the 8500 though).

Reading Bert's post, I'm wondering if you guys are just plain unlucky that your TVs just don't like Nvidia cards. I've never had the problems you have with 3 different HDTVs, and with PDVD/EVR absolutely every channel plays 100% perfectly smooth. No judder, no jitter, nothing - even on the financial channels with two different speed tickers. Even with NVidia/vmr it works perfectly fine except for the occasional channel where the purevideo decoder has wonky film/video detection (CNBC particularly, some of n24 output) - that's not too surprising, considering it's a year older than the 8500/8600 cards.

I was wondering the same, arfster, if it's probably my TV that is causing the problem. But then, with my stand-alone HDTV receiver (DVI->HDMI), with my SD sat receiver (RGB->RGB), with stand alone DVD players (RGB-<RGB) and several cards (I've used ASUS-X600, ASUS-X1800, MSI-X1950; all DVI->HDMI) the TV works fine. With any of the nVidia cards; no luck, always stuttering (7600GS, 7600GT 'Diamond Plus', 8600GTS, all MSI DVI->HDMI or HDMI->HDMI). And what absolutely works against blaming the TV is the fact that stuttering is much less when using the 'unchanged' mode in DVBViewer instead of overlay (really the worst) or VMR7/VMR9 (worst than unchanged, and with fuzzy picture as a bonus)

By the way vonMengen, I can not agree with the control panel being crappy; I used custom timing to shift the picture one line down for 1920x1080p. With the ATI card I use powerstrip to force the picture one line down.

I'll try the reclock filter, arfster, to check the actual frame rate, good advice! (I rememder I used it before to get rid of the nVidia stuttering, but then it only made the problem worse).

Anyway, instead of using a fixed output frequency, video cards should better follow the input synch frequency, allowing the output to stay exactly in pace with the input. I remember the 93.something driver did have an option to do so, but ticking or unticking this option showed no difference at all. Coming to think of it, isn't that what reclock is supposed to do?

regards, Bert

From the Reclock website:

It provides a new reference clock that is locked to the video card hardware clock, in order to ensure that frames are played at the exact speed of what is expected by the video card vertical sync.

So, that is a no. Reclock helps, if your soundcard has a bad timing. :bounce:

hi guys

I am pretty sure that in my case its a timing issue , and ATi simply has the much more forgiving clock.

As for Reclock ... I use it to get studderfree DVD playback since years. But with DVB/s its sometimes contraproductive. If the timing of the display is not too far away from the ideal 50,000 Hz it helps a lot smoothing up things as a renderer . If not , it will worsen things .. and you will get severe lip-sync issues .

Every time you switch the channels , you will get a nice red clock , til things get in balance again. I had no luck with my 7600 GT , the 8600 is better using Reclock , but its not the perfect solution , I look for.

But Bert , I would give it a try for sure ... if i can be of any help for you with the config. ..don´t hesitate .... TFTs are better in my opinion in this matter as Plasmas .

B.t.w. standalones ( DVD players..Satreceiver) never have any judder problems , these problems only appear in HTPCs where the soundchip serves as the reference clock.

Hardcore :-) ..... http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=229029

best

vm

Edited by vonMengen
I'm testing Vista again.

I get break up in the middle of the video (with motion) on 1920x1080i in EVR mode. As seen on the example here http://www.mypicshare.com/lmjed6lapic.html Anybody got any ideas?

this is tearing ..you may try to disable vertical sync and trilinear filtering... in NV controlpanel for video playback

OK, so I've installed reclock 1.7 beta (with my ati card for now, as I use water cooling in my HTPC and replacing cards is a bit more work than just swapping cards)

It reports video card output as 50.001 Hz, where powerstrip reports 50.000 Hz. Without reclock absolutely no judder or stuttering, with reclock no judder or stuttering. With 24 fps HD content reclock nicely corrects frame rate and no motion judder is seen. Good work!

However, no matter what audio decoder I use, there's an audio lip-synch delay of ages..., or no sound at all (SPDIF from nVidia audio decoder). So reclock is no solution for me.

For the 8600GTS, I decided to wait for a new official driver from nVidia before I try again. But coming to think of it; by the time nVidia releases new driver for XP, probaly my new ati HD2600 will be running nicely for a few months... When will they (at nVidia) ever realize there's more than only gaming and Vista?

Bert

Got it to work finally.. wuff

after working for 3 days to fix this issue the 158.27 driver actually worked with my display

and I could set a correct 50 Hz resolution with 1:1 pixelmapping @ native resolution

this was only possible with VGA not with HDMi ..I had to modifiy front and backporches

horizontally and vertically , sync width (h+v) .. and polarity.

Now all of a sudden my display reported the correct vertical frequency

But what a mess ...one driver allowed overlay but not VMR 7 , the other was fine only with renderer unchanged,

next driver worked only correct with VMR 9 but had cpu loads of 25 % . As I hate VMR renderers with their incorrect gammae it was actually fine that the 158.27 had the overlay option ..

Now that Panasonic has a good tradition with excellent VGA implementation , its okay for me .... for now.

after working for 3 days to fix this issue the 158.27 driver actually worked with my display

and I could set a correct 50 Hz resolution with 1:1 pixelmapping @ native resolution

And, what is your native resolution; for now?

Got it to work finally.. wuff

this was only possible with VGA not with HDMi ..I had to modifiy front and backporches

horizontally and vertically , sync width (h+v) .. and polarity.

Now all of a sudden my display reported the correct vertical frequency

But what a mess ...one driver allowed overlay but not VMR 7 , the other was fine only with renderer unchanged,

next driver worked only correct with VMR 9 but had cpu loads of 25 % . As I hate VMR renderers with their incorrect gammae it was actually fine that the 158.27 had the overlay option ..

*Cheers* Well done :-)

I'm rather amused at a driver that wouldn't allow VMR7 though - given that's XP WMP's only renderer!

By the way, little addition to my posts above: having installed the 160.04 in Vista, the deinterlacing errors (where text appeared to "wobble" vertically) have vanished with nvidia/vmr9. Previously I had to use powerdvd/EVR, and thought the quality difference was down to the decoder. Now I suspect that the drivers were not engaging spatial-temporal deinterlacing in VMR9 with the 8500/8600, instead just doing a plain bob.

Given that the XP drivers are even dodgier than the Vista ones for these cards, there's probably quite a bit further improvement to come :-)

Little update: NVidia just released 162.15 drivers. These have solved the dxva initialisation errors with mpeg2, so now there's no more reason to use the nvidia purevideo decoders at all - thus no more problems with failed film/video detection. The problem channels before (n24, ntv, bloomberg, cnbc) are now fine using the pdvd decoder: 50fps with no jitter.

Won't help those with display timing problems of course (although you never know, they might have fixed that too).

Little update: NVidia just released 162.15 drivers. These have solved the dxva initialisation errors with mpeg2, so now there's no more reason to use the nvidia purevideo decoders at all - thus no more problems with failed film/video detection. The problem channels before (n24, ntv, bloomberg, cnbc) are now fine using the pdvd decoder: 50fps with no jitter.

Won't help those with display timing problems of course (although you never know, they might have fixed that too).

With Anixe HD H.264 jitter is still there :P

With Anixe HD H.264 jitter is still there :)

Can't get that channel, sorry :-(

Is the jitter caused by the purevideo decoder wrongly flciking between video and film? If not, your problem is something else.

To be clear: all these drivers solved is that they now allow me to use the cyberlink mpeg2 decoder with dxva/vista/8500gt. Previously it was unusable because it blackscreened 90% of the time, although it never suffered from the film/video bug. Purevideo worked fine, except for that bug.

Edited by arfster
Is the jitter caused by the purevideo decoder wrongly flciking between video and film? If not, your problem is something else.

Problem is something else. For H.264 only useful decoder currenly for me is Cyberlink. Using unchanged renderer framerate is first pretty stable 25 fps with no jitter. After some minutes framerate drops to around 23 with 11 ms jitter. Jitter is clearly visible and picture is not watchable. After rebuilding graph picture is good again for some minutes. Very good picture with 7600GS using the same setup.

- thus no more problems with failed film/video detection. The problem channels before (n24, ntv, bloomberg, cnbc) are now fine using the pdvd decoder: 50fps with no jitter.

dxva here in my config . with cyberlink 2911 was no problem at all with XP every driver and the 8600 GT , but there was no dxva with the EVR .

I could get rid of the 8600 judder only with modified timings (VESA standard GT timings lead to black screen with NVidia drivers ! Imagine...)

and Reclock . Though it was never 100 % ... Every now and then some channels introduced jerky motion all of a sudden.

Sold the 8600 GT ... ATI here I come back with flying colours ............ :);)

ordered a 58 € 2400 HD , that will serve as intermediate gpu til the 256 bit ATI 2900 pros are out.

will post my experiences on the weekend

best

vm

In my case H.264 jitter was actually not caused by 8500GT but more likely by DVBViewer.

Same jitter was happening with integrated Intel G965 graphics. I will post an error report.

ATI HD 2400 ...first impressions

installed drivers , clicked 720p , clicked 50 Hz , perfect tickertapes , no judder , no jerky movements , pans smooth as silk.

worked out of the box ....bingo

1080p QT trailer H.264 in WMP 11 .... cpu load 5 %

so far not a bad 58 € investment

keep you informed ... as well with the quirks of the card

Hi!

Finally, i upgraded to Vista 32 home premium to see what the hell EVR is.

Results:

ForceWare: 158.45

Source:LuxeTV HD

Soft:DVBViewer GE alfa and today's beta. DVBViewerFilter alfa and beta.

Decoder:Cyberlink's 2911 avc decoder from PDVD Ultra

1st PC (my ex-PC)

PentiumD 945

Asus mobo P5WD2-E Premium

Corsair 2*1GB 800Mhz RAM

Asus EN8600GTS

2nd PC

E 6600 C2D

Asus P5B Deluxe WiFi-Ap

Corsair 2*1GB 800 Mhz RAM

Asus EN8600GTS

I couldn't see any difference between two systems as CPU consumption. Advarage was %4.

But what was interesting i saw dropping frames on the first PC while i couldn't see any on the other one.

What was common, there was a horizontal band on top of the display which is left from the previous scenes.

Like this:

006ne7.jpg

I checked out both in Graph form; they were using EVR:

007df7.jpg

Awaiting your comments.

Best!

Edited by ricabullah
That's a bug in GE, happens with other h264 decoders too.

Thanks!

I think Hackbart is %100 right:

On my tests i honestly did now saw any speed improvements while using the EVR

XP or Vista; CPU utilization stayed at %4 average, i had no more advantage on Vista.

I guess i will stay at XP with 165.01 FW.

Best!

Edited by ricabullah