yeahman

Hi

I'm trying to get smooth H264 on my HTPC. These are the specs:

Intel 6300 - Dual core 1.86ghz

3gb ram

Vista 32 ultimate

Radeon x600 pro 256mb

Technotrend s - 3200

My PC runs the cpu really high when trying to watch H264 streams esp bbc HD, I loose frames.

So I'm thinking of upgrading to Nvidia 8500 GT - for onboard rendering of H264, and I've heard that DVBViewer GE is one of the few Sat applications that utilize EVR (Enhanced Video Rendering), which I believe one has to use in order to take advantage of this video acceleration in Vista .

Could someone please confirm that they have smooth H264 using the combo of Vista EVR and GeForce 8 card featuring PureVideo 2 (Which has the vid acceleration).

Cos if this is the case I'll buy DVBViewer tomorrow.

Could someone please confirm that they have smooth H264 using the combo of Vista EVR and GeForce 8 card featuring PureVideo 2 (Which has the vid acceleration).

Yes, using DVBViewer GE, EVR, Vista32, 8500GT and the PowerDVD Ultra codec (you need all of these for it to work). CPU usage is something silly like 1%.

Edited by arfster

The following statstics show what is possible with current official nVIDIA drivers under Vista with EVR:

vista-h264.png

(High-bitrate HD-DVD movie AACS crypted; C2D E4300)

Edited by CiNcH

I recently upgraded to a 8500GT. I also changed my CPU, but CPU usage is so low that I guess I could have kept the old one.

I only hope now to see EVR support very soon in DVBViewer Pro as you currently have to use GE. (Nothing wrong with it, works very well, has a very nice TV like OSD but you no longer have some of the HTPC functions of the Pro).

• 2 weeks later...

I have a core2duo 6300 @1.86ghz and skystar hd/8500gt/cyberlink h264 codec and am using DVBViewer ge with evr. CPU is about 15% on BBC however it goes uo to around 25% on the german h264 FTA channels and sometimes locks completly on them so have to plug out pc. Anyone else with similar specs have this problem and get this cpu usage on Pro7 etc? Oh and im using Vista Home Premium