possibility to close DvbViewer when entering hibernate / suspend

jkeskir

I have build a HTPC and DVBViewer is vital part of it.

But I an Lazy :bounce::D and prefer to use remote control to set TV + AV-reciver + HTPC on/off. (Logitech harmony :) )

Problem is when powering off my sets DVBViewer stays on during hibernation and recorder service stays inactive. That is bad. I have missed some recodings for that.

Offcourse I can allways use mouse and close application, but as I said I an lazy.

Sop what I want is possibilty to close DVBViewer automatically when entering to susped /hibernate state and automatically

start start DVBViewer when HTPC comes out of hibernation.

Use the scheduler, there is an option what to do if you enter Standby (close DVBViewer) and restart it after resume.

Anyway you can also use the DVBViewer-options, close DVBViewer (F9) and advise the DVBViewer to enter Standby after closing.

Edited by uglyrooster
Use the scheduler, there is an option what to do if you enter Standby (close DVBViewer) and restart it after resume.

Anyway you can also use the DVBViewer-options, close DVBViewer (F9) and advise the DVBViewer to enter Standby after closing.

Thanks, I'll try that.

But is there any problems using recorder service and sheduler together?

you should use only sheduler or recording service!

Both should produce similar results...

recording service can wake up the PC and record a programm

scheduler can wake up the PC and starts DVBViewer so that it does the recording.

you should use only sheduler or recording service!

Both should produce similar results...

recording service can wake up the PC and record a programm

scheduler can wake up the PC and starts DVBViewer so that it does the recording.

Well, I have previously used sheduler, but I found that recorder service suited for me better.

So as I am lazy and don't want to click any mouse buttons, I wrote :bye: small and crude program that closes

DVBViever when HTPC starts to go suspended state and starts DVBViewer when HTPC is waking up.

It is still in very early stages but seems to work :)

So problem solved

• 4 weeks later...

Perhaps this helps:

http://www.rpi.edu/~desimn/suspendtrigger/

Use Hibernate Trigger along with a couple of batch files to kill/start DVBViewer on standby/resume. For example, when entering standby you could use a utility like pskill.exe to forcefully close DVBViewer (it's not clean but might work) and put this command into a batch file, which you then call from Hibernate Trigger. I've been using Hibernate Trigger for months on my laptop to restart a Cardbus driver after resume and it has worked every single time.

I use a combination of Recording Service and Scheduler, but the Scheduler is only used to start up DVBViewer at a certain time of the morning so that the EPGPlus plugin can do its magic (simply setting a watch timer in DVBViewer doesn't seem to work when using the recording service - unless this has been fixed in a newer version than I'm using). It's not linked into DVBViewer automatically at all (it screws up the recordings with the recording service if you let it do things automatically) and is started via a manually-created Task Scheduler task. I then have a batch file which runs at a certain time of the morning (overnight) to kill DVBViewer and/or EPGPlus.exe in case either one of them happens to crash during the auto-scheduling in EPGPlus. I have never got Windows' hibernate timeout to work, so I have a scheduled task that runs from a 15 minute idle timeout, to call a batch file that checks for the presence of any apps I tend to use (DVBViewer, iTunes, Nero etc.) and if those are running, exits the hibernate batch file. The recording service denies hibernate requests whilst recording nicely, so I don't have to worry about checking for that. Hibernate Trigger runs on this system to work around an issue with this in that if the system sleeps for longer than the idle period, it gets stuck in an idle loop of sorts, so I have a batch file to execute a program that runs for 30 seconds after resume (which if the idle timeout occurs, cancels the hibernate batch file) and the hibernate batch file checks for the presence of this 30 second app and prevents hibernate. Confused yet? ;)

Edited by CX23882-19
  • 2 weeks later...