Magic pakket when server down/standby

pastimer

When using DVBViewer in client/server, a nice addition could be the automatic startup of the server when it is not available.

This could be done by sending the magic packet to the mac-address of the server that is configured for wake-on-lan.

The client could then wait and retry the availability of the server before continuing. The server of course would be setup to automatically start DVBViewer.

I do not know a lot about wake-on-lan but some utilities that do the trick can be found on the internet. However, these are seperate tools and would require extra user actions as opposed to the integration into DVBViewer.

So what do others think of this?

You mean the Client should start the DVB-server or the pc?

Normaly if the DVBViewer-Client try to connect to server, there is some data transport to the signed IP. In this case the server should wake up because there are some pakets on the way to your pc. This is a job of your bios. If this doesn't work your PC need an other configuration. Have a look in your bios.

A problem could be if your pc get every time on wake up an other IP from your router, because the DVBViewer send his packages to an IP not to the Mac-address. In this case set up a static IP in your router for this pc

You mean the Client should start the DVB-server or the pc?

Normaly if the DVBViewer-Client try to connect to server, there is some data transport to the signed IP. In this case the server should wake up because there are some pakets on the way to your pc. This is a job of your bios. If this doesn't work your PC need an other configuration. Have a look in your bios.

A problem could be if your pc get every time on wake up an other IP from your router, because the DVBViewer send his packages to an IP not to the Mac-address. In this case set up a static IP in your router for this pc

Thanks! I guess this does not work when the sever is shut down, but it should work from standby? I know this doesnt work now so i will look into the bios to see if i can set it up.