Support for DAB ?

Bobben

I have just seen the spec for Terratec Cinergy Piranha. The driver is BDA.

This USB2.0 stick is capable of receiving DAB & DMB broadcasts.

ftp://ftp.terratec.de/Receiver/Cinergy_Pi...icalData_GB.pdf

http://tven.terratec.net/modules.php?op=mo...cle&sid=263

http://supporten.terratec.net/modules.php?...oad&sid=545

This is of course not DVB but its still quite interessting if the BDA driver makes it supportable :)

The TerraTec Piranha is an interesting device, and I already thought of supporting DAB in DVBViewer GE. However, it will not be easy, since the whole DVBViewer is targeted to processing DVB transport streams. A kind of wrapper that repacks the DAB data as DVB transport stream, making the rest of DVBViewer believe that it comes from a DVB source, could be a solution for DAB MPEG audio streams. But what about scanning? That is the difficult part...

Furthermore, the Piranha does not support USB 2.0 high speed (only full speed up to 12 MBit/s, source), as far as I know, which would cause some DVB-T drawbacks. E.g. it is not possible to watch a channel and at the same time record another one from the same transponder.

The TerraTec Piranha is an interesting device, and I already thought of supporting DAB in DVBViewer GE. However, it will not be easy, since the whole DVBViewer is targeted to processing DVB transport streams. A kind of wrapper that repacks the DAB data as DVB transport stream, making the rest of DVBViewer believe that it comes from a DVB source, could be a solution for DAB MPEG audio streams. But what about scanning? That is the difficult part...

Furthermore, the Piranha does not support USB 2.0 high speed (only full speed up to 12 MBit/s, source), as far as I know, which would cause some DVB-T drawbacks. E.g. it is not possible to watch a channel and at the same time record another one from the same transponder.

For DVB-T in Norway even 12Mbit/s will be enough for streaming two different channels at the same time but I guess the wery nice TransEdit analyzer wont work.

I hopy the Terratec Cinergy T2 which I just bought is capable of receiving the complete transportstream over USB2.0 high speed ;)

I hopy the Terratec Cinergy T2 which I just bought is capable of receiving the complete transportstream over USB2.0 high speed

It is a true USB 2.0 high speed device. I bought a Cinergy T2 two years ago. It's working reliably with DVBViewer, no drawbacks.

• 1 month later...

For me, DAB would be interesting, too. All our local Radio stations broadcast in traditional FM and DAB. Or do you think, DAB is some kind of "dead" because there is also DVB-T radio?

• 1 year later...
For me, DAB would be interesting, too. All our local Radio stations broadcast in traditional FM and DAB. Or do you think, DAB is some kind of "dead" because there is also DVB-T radio?

In the UK at least DVB-S/DVB-T has better quality than DAB.