OSD slow after hibernate

chrispazz

Hello.

When I start DVBViewer after reboot, I have no problem with OSD. It is fast enough.

If I put the pc on standby or hibernate (closing first DVBViewer), when it start again the interface became very very slow.

I have attached 2 support zips: one with OSD ok and the other with OSD slow.

Graphic card is a Geforce 8500GT with nvidia forceware 165.01.

Before this I used an older geforce (a 5200 fx) with other Nvidia drivers and had the same problem.

Thank you for support.

Christian

EDIT: I cannot add the second support file because of size restrictions....

support_osd_ko.zip

Edited by chrispazz

Ok I understand correctly:

You close the DVBViewer completly and go into hibernate. After wakeup you start the viewer and the osd slow. And this is a problem of the DVBViewer because...?

It doesn't know anything about the hibernate, cause it was closed, how should it know it was started after hibernate? It's being slow can mean only one thing, something in your windows system doesn't survive hibernating...

Hi Lars, thank you for your answer.

The problem here is that I cannot use VMR9 because of a problem of nvidia (1/4 screen), I cannot use EVR since DVBViewer does not support it. If I use overlay my OSD does not go well anymore after hibernation for some other problems....

Trying other frontends I have other problems but never problems with user interface or vmr rendering (using the same HTPC).

When I choosed to go with DVBViewer it was mainly because it is a good software but first of all it is not a freeware.

When someone ask for support it is not always because the problem is within the software itself but also to get some good advices about the whole system.

I know, you have to answer a lot of people here....

Again, thank you for your support.

Christian

Ok, I can reproduce this problem. However I have to agree with Lars. Must be some driver (most likely nVIDIA) that does not recover properly.

Edited by CiNcH

ok, you want a good advise. Don't use vista. It will save you a whole lot of trouble :bye:

This advice is for free from someone who does not get paid to help others (like everybody else here) with selfinflicted problems. :blink:

Eh eh....I switched from XP to Vista and from Vista back to XP :bye:

Only looking for stability for HD and SD but cannot find a combination.....

Chris

Last NVidia driver 162.18 solves this problem for me under XP. Unfortunately no H264 acceleration so we have to wait until 165.01 features and 162.18 bugfixes are combined.

Edit: Sorry, confused due to switching to Vista again. Check the 162.18, it solved the XP problem.

Edited by uglyrooster

Yes, I do have the same problem. Just done some quick tests now to verify the issue and be able to come up with some further information...

Tried two drivers now:

165.01 beta

-> Problem also occurs when you do not start the DVBViewer before hibernation.

-> VMR9 works properly after hibernation. (just to mention that even if you do not use it...)

We have just witnessed another nVIDIA bug concerning the cards' video capabilities. If games slowed down after hibernation it would have been fixed already :bye: .

Last NVidia driver 163.11 solves this problem for me under XP. Unfortunately no H264 acceleration so we have to wait until 165.01 features and 163.11 bugfixes are combined.

Sounds good, but aren't these Vista drivers? So you can confirm the bug under Vista too which is solved now?

-> VMR9 works properly after hibernation. (just to mention that even if you do not use it...)

Have to add something here. OSD is fine after hibernation with VMR9. However video playback slows down (becomes jerky) when opening a drop down menu within DVBViewer which is then display in front of the video. So something is wrong with correctly waking up the graphics card resp. reinitializing the driver...

Edited by CiNcH

Interesting, that this problem is discussed again. I posted it months ago, but without qualified feedback.

Some additional informations:

- Problem also occured with a S3graphics-card (Deltachrome), so they must have the same bug in their drivers (not solved up to now)? Not very likely...

- Problem seems to be solved under XP with 162.18 (see edit above), but should be tested by other users too

- Vista does NOT have the problem with the newest drivers

Problem is only with "Overlay" or "Unchanged", not with VMR.

I tested several days some months ago, without a driver (or DVBViewer?) fix there is no workaround.

Is it possible that on a H.264 channel on a CoreDuo E6600 I am always at about 95-100% of cpu without hardware acceleration?

What can I do to lower cpu utilization and to have a smoother video?

thanks

Chris