In simple words - ATI 2400/2600 in XP, is it possible?

Rittberg

A call to ATI’s 2400/2600 experts.

What is the key to watch SD & HD channels (mpeg2 & h264) using DVBViewer (Pro if possible) under XP and to enable the Hardware acceleration.

Due to the fact that the last discussions in this matter was in the German language, even using "babelfish" I was not able to find the right way.

Thanks for any input,

I'm no expert, but I have a 2600XT running with XP/SP2, PowerDVD Ultra with the last patch (3104a I think), and DVBViewer Pro (latest beta). I have h264-Accel (and de-interlacing) when I watch "live" and also recordings in DVBViewer using the Cyberlink codec. ~5% cpu usage with my X2 3800 EE @ 2400, running with 1200MHz (CnQ).

No experience with mpeg2, that is handled by my VDR.

Magic-Michael thanks,

Please advise the Catalyst driver that you are using. Did you modify the registry to enable the Hardware acceleration?

BTW - I will appreciate to have an answer re. SD/mpeg2 channels

Thanks.

Oh, I forgot that, sorry: Catalyst 7.7 . And I didn't have to change anything in the registry. From what I read in the avsforum I think it's only nescessary for 2400pro/XT, not for the 2600ers.

I have the Club3d CGAX-XT266, because it was the first available card with 256MB GDDR4-RAM. Nothing fancy, stock ATI-cooler and PCB, but it works for me. Can even play LOTRO on my 720p PJ.

For SD, everything should work out of the box.

For mpeg2 HD, you need to do a reg change (dxva_nohddecode 0 needs to be added). Possibly DXVA_Only24FPS1080MPEG2 also needs to be deleted/set to zero for 50hz 1080i mpeg2, can't remember. I think this applies to all models (anyone with a 2600 knows?)

For h264 HD, only the 2400 models need a change: delete or set to zero "DXVA_Only24FPS1080H264".

I think you'll need to reboot for these changes to take affect btw.

Edited by arfster