DVBviewer 3.8.0.0 severe audio jitter +video lost

Benarty

I've installed 3.8.0.0 to see if this would affect the shutdown problem but things got worse.

None of the video modes (overlay/vmr7, vmr9) work. Black screen both on encrypted as FTA.

Severe digital Jitter , sort of chipmunk sounds in audio.

I've installed 3.8 over the exisiting DVBViewer installation.

support.zip

Edited by Benarty

Did you compare the setup with you old version?

>DirectSound: Realtek HD Audio output

try: default direct sound device

For me there is no reason for a change in the behaviour of the DVBViewer if you've had the latest beta before..

Did you compare the setup with you old version?

>DirectSound: Realtek HD Audio output

try: default direct sound device

For me there is no reason for a change in the behaviour of the DVBViewer if you've had the latest beta before..

Yes, compared but I wil re-install windows cause the shut down problem is also not normal.

Perhaps severe registry error.

Well I think also there may be problems with something in your windows installation. The effects you describe are not normal, otherwise the forum would be full of reports like yours ;)

Well I think also there may be problems with something in your windows installation. The effects you describe are not normal, otherwise the forum would be full of reports like yours :)

Strange that, If I reînstall 3.6 then the jitter effect is gone and overlay works.

Installing 3.8 over 3.6 and jitter and no overlay.

Remove DVBViewer, install 3.8 same.

Weird that 3.6 has no problems.

But to be sure ; re-install of windows from scratch... oh boy, will have to call micrsoooft again.

You're sure you use the same settings?

I tested all configurations, the default settings of DVBViewer 3.6 didn't work after upgrading to 3.8.

But, this was a tweaked XP version so perhaps a bit too narrow tweaked since v3.8 came along.

I expierence also bad audio quality with the 3.8.0. I use it as a client for DVBServer (also 3.8.0). The video signal is ok, but the audio channel is only clear when I switch from Stereo to left or right channel. Maybe this problem is related to the other? I use Unicast streaming and cable connection, no WLan. Several Audio codecs and rederers tested, all the same. I will check soon if it happens also on the server machine.

• 2 weeks later...

I've re-installed windows and this time not tweaked so vanilla XP.

Source of strange jitter audio found.

DVBViewer 3.6 could access the mediaguard CAM without problems. The CI console of Digital Everywhere was not needed.

DVBViewer 3.8 has problems to work with the CAM but problem is solved if CI console is used.

Unfortunately, CI console can't start hidden.

So: conclusion is: something related to cam access has changed in DVBViewer 3.8 compared to DVBViewer 3.6.

If I don't use CI console and restart DVBViewer: jibberisch audio and severe video problem.

if I use CI console: DVBViewer starts normal, no audi or video problem.

No need to post support.zip cause the setup did not change since last support.zip.

Hm. That's strange. 3.6 needs the CI Tool from digital everywhere to communicate with the CAM and 3.8 doesn't.

I guess that the CAM is not properly initialized if you have the CI Tool running with 3.8 (and am quite sure that it is that way, if you run 3.6 without the CI Tool!), so your problems seem to happen, when the CAM is used! The symptoms could be caused by incompatiblity between CAM and DVB-C card. You should test without CAM or, if possible, with another CAM.

Maybe there is something wrong with the driver installation...

Hm. That's strange. 3.6 needs the CI Tool from digital everywhere to communicate with the CAM and 3.8 doesn't.

I guess that the CAM is not properly initialized if you have the CI Tool running with 3.8 (and am quite sure that it is that way, if you run 3.6 without the CI Tool!), so your problems seem to happen, when the CAM is used! The symptoms could be caused by incompatiblity between CAM and DVB-C card. You should test without CAM or, if possible, with another CAM.

Maybe there is something wrong with the driver installation...

3.6 worked without the CI tool from Digital Everywhere and that qas great cause this tool pops-up always so great that dvbviewer3.6 could access the mediaguard cam.

As soon when DVBViewer 3.8 was installed , cam access seems problematic, jibberisch sound and massive video problems and sometimes only sound problem with normal video.

If I start first the CI console, exit the console so that it stays running on the background, then DVBViewer 3.8: result is good audio and good video.

It's a repeatable process so as soon when I close DVBViewer , exit the CI console and restart DVBViewer 3.8 then the audio /video problem starts again.

Note: if I start the CI sonsole when DVBViewer is running, then DVBViewer closes very fast.

So CI console has impact on DVBViewer and vice versa.

Driver problems?

Vanilla XP home , up to data, all hardware drivers up to date , system has been benchmarked under stressconditions > no failure , memtest86 finds no ram failure,

I was using a tweaked XP before when the problems started with 3.8. I have re-installed XP cause I might have tweaked something too much but sadly,

even with a fresh installed XP NOT tweaked: problem stays.

Preivious support.zip is still the same: so powerDVD7, ac3filter, same videocard, same DVB-S card......so identical

Other cam:

Well, I still have somehere a T-Rex 1.0 and even Matrix Reborn ZCAS but need to veryfy that they work fluently with seca2/mediaguard.

The Matrix had problems but never tested the T-rex cause missing firmware.

I'm using at the moment the original cam from the sat provider (Canal digitaal/TV Vlaanderen)

Zap times are timed and between 2.9 and 3.6 second. That's rather long but I doubt that another cam

will be faster.

Edited by Benarty

I found 3.6.1.20 on a backup, so started the uninstall of 3.8 and after that install 3.6.1.20.

CI console disabled, DVBViewer 3.6.1.20 started and no jobberisch sound and video locking.

Conclusing: DVBViewer 3.8 contains a BUG , prolly cam access since jibberisch and video problem

dissapared with the use of CI console of digital everywhere. Repeatable error.

But DVBViewer 3.6.1.20 is able to tune into the encrypted channels without the aid of ci console.

Edited by Benarty

Example of audio jitter sound.

Note:

So nothing changed to configuration between 3.6 en 3.8 and yes, i've tested all possible configurations on both audio

as video. System is based on Cuberlinks powerDVD and uses ac3filter and nvidia display adapter.

3.6 works fine so audio and video are playing as they should.

3.8 produces this sound (see attached file)

3.8 show also no video or sometimes flares of an image, sure no video.

I can not identify this sort of disortion, the normal audio track is hidden a bit behind the jitter sound.

dvbviewer3800_audiosample.mp3

that's caused by an problem between CAM and device. Just as I said above. Take out the CAM and you'll never get that type of problem. If that happens always with every driver, then you'll have to seek out for a different CAM (or try a different firmware), because the CAM and device are incompatible. I had exactly the same issues, so I know what I am talking about.

that's caused by an problem between CAM and device. Just as I said above. Take out the CAM and you'll never get that type of problem. If that happens always with every driver, then you'll have to seek out for a different CAM (or try a different firmware), because the CAM and device are incompatible. I had exactly the same issues, so I know what I am talking about.

Again: DVBViewer 3.6.1.20 is able to show all TV channels without a problem. Both FTA as encrypted and the encrypted channels work without using de CI console of Digital everywhere.

I installed DVBViewer 3.8.0.0 over 3.6.1.20 and suddenly the audio jitter effect and massive video problems and if you would read my first post on thisd topic, borth on encrypted as FTA

3.8.0.0 uses the same settings as 3.6.1.20 so overlay modus, powerDVD 7 as decoder (no other decoder) and ac3filter.

I can not post a 3.8.0 support.zip cause I'm using 3.6.1.20 again and tried the combination with the ci console .

But: DVBViewer 3.8.0 did use exact the same settings and all hardware is still the same.

Intel T2500

MSI I945GT speedster AR4 micro atx board.

1GB ram

Nvidia Geforce 6600LE 256MB

Digital everywhere fire DTV-S

Mediaguard /Seca2 CAM: original model from sat provider.

Original smart card. Firmware upgrade of cam around 16/06/2007..upgrade was successful.

There is no new firmware yet.

The reason to post was: ok, I was using a tweaked windows version but I have re-installed windows without any tweaking..therefor vanilla version, full up to date, latest non beta fireDTV BDA driver, latest nvidia non beta video driver.

Oh and: I tried 3.8.0.0 3 times and every time when I switched back to 3.6.1.20: problems gone.

As soon when 3.8.0.0 was installed: jitter and video lag.

3th time was from scrach by using a windows restore point prior to the installation of DVBViewer.

support.zip

Edited by Benarty

On my system, with 3.6.1.20 and without the firedtv ci tool, it is not possible to decrypt encrypted channels. That's all I can say. Maybe your system is a bit screwed or you installed the MCE drivers (which now a day include a service that allows MCE to use the CI part) or something else is wrong with your system... *shrugs*

With 3.8, when DVBViewer uses the FireDTV and it's CI, the CI Tool won't start and put an errormessage "Can not initialize CI"...

On my system, with 3.6.1.20 and without the firedtv ci tool, it is not possible to decrypt encrypted channels. That's all I can say. Maybe your system is a bit screwed or you installed the MCE drivers (which now a day include a service that allows MCE to use the CI part) or something else is wrong with your system... *shrugs*

With 3.8, when DVBViewer uses the FireDTV and it's CI, the CI Tool won't start and put an errormessage "Can not initialize CI"...

if I use DVBViewer 3.6 then DVBViewer can tune into the encrypted channels without any problem.

Wit of without CI console, does not matter...except... if I use CI console and tune to an encrypted channel that i'm not allowed to watch then the ci console acts and reports that I have no valid subscription to view the channel.

if I don't use CI console and DVBViewer tunes into such channel, then dbviewer shows a entire black screen and reports nothing.

But : I avoid those channels so have no problems to use DVBViewer 3.6.1.20 alone on the encrypted TV Vlaanderen, Canal Digitaal sister when using their original cam (mediaguard). The DVBViewer developers can confirm that DVBViewer can access cam's directly but in reality not all cam's cause it depends on cam firmware and bda driver.

Asking up cam info within DVBViewer sometimes fails but this does not have an influence on the encrypted channels.

When I install 3.8.0.0 and start it in combination with the CI console, same problems and CI console reports no errors.

I've tested also in combination with the nvidia purevideo decoder and disabled DXVA support and tried older nvidia drivers, latest and latest beta as NGO optimized nvidia driver.

This system did use an ATIX1600GT before but nvidia is fine enough.

The reason to switch to nvidia was that a direct drive is more easy cause nvidia adapters allow the default

PAL resolution on their VGA output and do not need powerstrip . This setup is since the re-install not used and the connection is the S-video , not a excellent image but goof enough and ...for testing ideal to exclude a RGB output failure.

I did not install MCE drivers, BDA driver 3.1 light which run fine under 3.6.1.20 but not under 3.8.0.0.

An as told before: I've re-installed windows from scratch again and not tweaked to exclude an error there.

The windows logs (eventviewer) show no problems.

Windows is up to date till 27/08/2007 and then disconnected from the internet, it still has intranet access

DVBViewer does not use plugins so a plugin problem is simply not possible.

Conclusion: I stay away from 3.8.0.0 and will try again with next release.

Edited by Benarty

I followed a long way to get to a stable state.

First with KNC ONE DVB-S CI card: problems with the encrypted channels.

Second with Twinhan DTV DVB-S 1030A CI: much better but still problems.

Then Fire DTV DVB-S CI and poof, stable.

Also various mainboards and CPU's to end ip with a mobile intel T2500 and MSI I945GT speedster AR4

Various harddrives and ended up with samsung spinpoint

A long search for passive approach but it's now nearly passive... a 8cm system fan still turns but so slow that you can't hear it. this fan is not connected to the chassis to avoid vibrations, huge tower cpu cooler.

Modified design chassis: added far more air holes to allow natural convection.

CPU reaches 60°C in the summer but this mobile's max is 100°C so still a way to go.