Some timed recording fail and create a 1kb mpg file.

smilingcrow

The program has been very reliable until recently when on two occasions timed recordings have failed. It created files for the recordings and the modified dates for the files matched the end time of the recordings. The files were only 4 bytes in size though which maybe a header of sorts; I don’t know the MPEG file structure so this is a guess.

The second time it happened was on Friday when I created 3 timed recordings from the EPG. The first recording worked and the second two failed. I don’t usually have the program open when it records but rely on the service. On this occasion I was watching a previous recording so didn’t close the program after finishing viewing as it was in the middle of recording the first timed show. I left the viewed program on pause so wondered if this was the problem!

Hauppauge Nova-T PCI

Model 90003 Rev. C2B0

Tuner Model/Formats: Thompson DTT75105 // Digital

Decoder: CX882

hcwI2C32.DLL 2.28.25019

hcwPNP32.DLL 4.76.25102

hcwChDB.dll 2, 2, 25092, 0

HCWChMgr.ocx 2, 1, 25102, 0

hcwTVDlg.DLL 3.16.21311

hcwTVWnd.DLL 3, 02, 25102 PCI-USB DVBT/S PVR

hcwUtl32.DLL 3.8.22159

hcwSplit.ax 1.15.24235

hcwFRead.ax 1, 16, 23294, 0

hcwFWrit.ax 1, 15, 24044, 0

hcwSnap.ax 1.14.24335

MSI K9N SLI Premium (AM2) - Nvidia 570 SLI

Nvidia 7300LE – 6.14.10.9371

support.zip

Edited by smilingcrow

I'm adding an image showing the time at which the failed recordings took place in case the time information is needed when looking at the log files.

post-16932-1186993020_thumb.png

You are not the only one, who has this problem.. it's not yet realy clear, where it comes from.

A workarround seems to be, to tune in the channel before the recording. One can do that with additional timers which only tune in the channel but don't record. Problem with that is, that A/V is not disabled automatically.

You are not the only one, who has this problem.. it's not yet realy clear, where it comes from.

I’m considering replacing my Humax PVR with a dual tuner DVBViewer setup, but if this bug is a known and unresolved issue then I’ll probably wait and see if it’s resolved first.

A workarround seems to be, to tune in the channel before the recording. One can do that with additional timers which only tune in the channel but don't record. Problem with that is, that A/V is not disabled automatically.

Thanks for the info. I will be making timed recordings that wake Windows from standby mode so I’m not sure if this workaround is possible in this case.

Note. I don’t receive email notification of replies and haven’t for a while. If I look in my control panel the topic is subscribed. Is there another setting that I’ve overlooked?

Pleas install Version 3.8.0.0 and post a new support.zip

Thanks. Oops, I hadn’t checked the download section for a couple of weeks; this looks like a major new release. ;)

I'm thinking that it's not worth uploading a support file unless I encounter the problem again!

Now that I’ve installed version 3.8.0.0 the Recording Service has stopped working completely!

It also freezes and needs to be manually terminated if I try playing a DVD from hard disk and then exit the program.

support.zip

Edited by smilingcrow

the recording service has been removed from the setup, because many people installed it and didn't know how to handle a service, that produced many different issues. The old service can't work together with the new version, so setup removes it. If you want to use the service, you'll have to install the beta version from the member section. It's working good over here ;)

I had no DVD issues, yet. Did you use the same settings for the new version?

the recording service has been removed from the setup, because many people installed it and didn't know how to handle a service, that produced many different issues. The old service can't work together with the new version, so setup removes it. If you want to use the service, you'll have to install the beta version from the member section. It's working good over here ;)

Thanks, I’ve just installed it and am testing now; it’s looking good so far here to. ;)

When I installed 3.8.0.0 it didn’t uninstall the service which is partly what confused me. The service still loads at Windows startup as the registry key for the current user is still present; it just doesn’t work of course.

This new Service looks very good and I’m going to do some serious testing with this working with Windows standby. There are so many add-ons for DVBV that people might not know about which is a shame. Is there a document giving an overview of the features that the various plugins offer?

I had no DVD issues, yet. Did you use the same settings for the new version?

This was the first time that I’ve tried playing back a DVD that was captured to hard disk with DVD-Shrink so I can’t comment on the settings.

Edit. I tested it again and it didn't crash just took a long time to shutdown.

Note. I still don’t get any notification that posts have been made on this thread even though I’m subscribed.

Edited by smilingcrow
  • 3 weeks later...

Is this the official line also?

I’m disappointed not to have had more technical support for this serious issue as a recorder that doesn’t reliably record is worthless to me. I’m currently evaluating the Terratec software for use as a recorder due to this bug. I’d rather use DVBV as its so feature rich but reliability is king when it comes to recording. I’ll still use DVBV for playback even I move to Terratec for recording.

I'd just like to know if this is a known issue and not waste time on it if it is. Cheers.

Edited by smilingcrow

further investiogation seems impossible... maybe it's a bug in DVBViewer? But more likely it seems to be problems with bad plugins or hardware/driver/CAM related, because it happens only for very few people.

for some people it seems to help, to tune the channel bevore the recording (there is even a tool that adds a "tune" timer before each real timer, it's called "HelpTimer"). Maybe that can help you, too.

Edited by Moses
further investiogation seems impossible... maybe it's a bug in DVBViewer? But more likely it seems to be problems with bad plugins or hardware/driver/CAM related, because it happens only for very few people.

for some people it seems to help, to tune the channel bevore the recording (there is even a tool that adds a "tune" timer before each real timer, it's called "HelpTimer"). Maybe that can help you, too.

Thanks Moses. I’ve changed DVB-T card so maybe the problem will disappear!

I’m now scratching my head a bit at the relationship between the main EXE, the service and using standby. I have to spend a bit of time getting to see how they interact.

I also have encountered this bug, but the recordings that fail for me are 4kb in size - not 1kb.

Running DVBViewer 3.8.0.0 and three FDTV-C.

EDIT: Nevermind, it was one of the tuners that malfunctioned. All is well after restarting the tuner.

Edited by LiMiT
  • 2 weeks later...

I've had this with .ts recordings. Apparently DVBViewer sometimes fails to correctly tune in a channel.

This workaround seems to help:

1. Go to Options/Hardware

2. Enable Stop stream while tuning

3. Change Retune on missing stream after (sec.) to 2

Good luck!