Which version of Delphi should I buy?

Delphi

1) Is Delphi 2007 for Win32 Professional a good choise? Don't want to use .NET

For now I use the free version from CodeGear.

I have a licence to Delphi 3 Professional and have contacted a reseller. He would examine upgrading possibilities for me.

2) Would Delphi 5 Do?

I have ordered the book: Eric Harmon: Delphi COM Programming

3) Any other book recommendations on COM (general or Delphi related)?

Thanks in advance

Is Delphi 2007 for Win32 Professional a good choise?

Dunno. AFAIK all DVBViewer developers use Delphi 7.

Would Delphi 5 Do?

Probably yes. Plugins compiled with Delphi 6 could be used with Delphi 7 DVBViewer, if I remember it correctly.

Any other book recommendations on COM (general or Delphi related)?

I've never read a book about that stuff. Only a lot of sample code, MSDN and Delphi groups... learning by doing :)

Delphi 2007 would work too, I think. I tested the demoversion of the enterprise.

Try to get a delphi 7. It is still the best. The new stuff is too much on hype... It's the same as the last 4 or 5 version. A lot of stuff around, nobody needs and no real enhancement on the compiler itself.

Any other book recommendations on COM (general or Delphi related)?

Use the net. Books are nice if the net is down. there are 3 very good pages on delph and com.

http://www.techvanguards.com/ the site of Binh Ly

and the other two I don't remember right now. :( Oh, and use google groups, (Peter Below has an answer to nearly every problem :()

[/edit]I remembered the second http://www.gekko-software.nl/Delphi/ , the third will surface too tomorrow;) I don't need them anymore since ages, so it's hard to remember :) [/edit]

Thank you for all your answers and usefull links.

Well I am still a bit confused :)

There is Delphi 5, Delphi 6, Delphi 7, Delphi 2006, Delphi 2007, Turbo Delphi,....

So Delphi 7 is not the same as Delphi 2007, right?

The free version from CodeGear I use now is called Turbo Delphi Explorer.

I am unable to find any sites where I can buy a Delphi 7 :(

EDIT: My reseller have confirmed, that I am allowed to upgrade from Delphi 3 Pro to Delphi 2007 Pro :D:(

I will ask him about Delphi 7

Edited by Delphi

Hi,

Afaik Delphi7 is from the year 2002 and therefore Delphi 2007 is a newer version. Und to write plugins for the DVBViewer Delphi 6 or 7 personal is good enough at all. Nevertheless the versions upwards from the personal version have some goodies which make the coders live easier, like the code explorer.

C.U. NanoBot

Edited by NanoBot

My reseller (and me too) has done some more research on the Delphi versions.

Delphi 7 is no longer available for purchase.

Delphi 2007 for win32 is a returning back to the win32 platform, and I guess an attempt to get programmers back on using Delphi.

You can upgrade to Delphi 2007 from any version of Delphi (even Delphi 1).

I have installed the Delphi 7 Personal form Polish URL recommended by Hartwig

Looks just like Delphi 3 and has the same good help system :) . I was very dissapointed about the help system in the free "Turbo Delphi Explorer".

It didn't protest on me when I tried to begin an install of a third party component. The other free version doesn't allow that.

I agree, that Delphi 7 Personal is the version you should get, if you want a free one.

I found no TXMLDocument component (anyway it's a bit overkill, since I only need simple reading/writing of XML files).

Is it OK to use your JvSimpleXml2.pas unit ?

And generally: Is it OK to distribute compiled files( dll,exe) when I use (typically part of/modified versions of) your source code (DVBViewer related ofcource)?

I have ordered the upgrade to Delphi 2007 for win32 professional. Cannot be that wrong :bye: . Will keep the Delphi 7 Personal on my PC as well.

Thanks again for all the inputs ;)

Edited by Delphi

The JVSimpleXML is MPL and made by http://jvcl.sourceforge.net and quite old but works very good. You should mention that you use it by writing in the readme or the about dialog that. Have a look at the change.log (the only thing resembeling a readme :bye: ) or the about dialog of the DVBViewer.

According to their site it should be something like this:

[Programname] contains JVCL source code that can be obtained from

http://jvcl.sourceforge.net/

Is it OK to distribute compiled files( dll,exe) when I use (typically part of/modified versions of) your source code (DVBViewer related ofcource)?

You mean code of the examples? No problem. it would be nice if DVBViewer.com is mentioned somewhere but otherwise there are no restrictions as far as I can say.

You mean code of the examples? No problem. it would be nice if DVBViewer.com is mentioned somewhere but otherwise there are no restrictions as far as I can say.

Just want to be 100% sure:

All the code in members area "Sources" are examples and I can use them the way I want in my exe's and dll's, if I mention the author/DVBViewer.com?

Cannot distribute any source code ofcource.

As a start I typically would experiment with the sources of myPrograms and myInternet and hopefully get something usefull out of that.

By the way: I really enjoyed to read the source of the DVBVSpy. Very enlightning to a COM newbie

By the way: I really enjoyed to read the source of the DVBVSpy. Very enlightning to a COM newbie

To be honest: Delphi makes it real easy to use COM, you don't see a difference between native classes and COM classes. Writing the COM part is in some aspects more challenging, but most of the time it's just boring mapping of classes. :(

OK, I hereby grant everybody the permission to use the code written by me in the examples (bad as it may be) to their liking. as it is it is only usefull for the DVBViewer pro and if you can learn something from it, I'm happy cause that's the way I learned delphi also.

And if you thing it's horrible code and should be forbidden: I swear christian wrote it I don't no nothing about it ;) ;)

myprogramms and myinternet are in fact written by christian :) But I'm sure he has no problem with it, the basics are based on my code and interfaces anyway. :bye:

• 1 month later...

Hi again

First I want to say, that your COM interface is really cool. What a load of posibilities!

I have now shipped my first tool using D 2007:

http://www.DVBViewer.info/forum/index.php?...15&start=15

It seems that I have some luck compaired to the myXMLTV tool.

Well, all I do is using TXMLDocument (providing me with WideString). I then pass them on to DVBViewer.

I like the ReFactor option of D 2007.

The help system of D 2007 is miserable.