Compressing HDTV Recordings

sapper

As a rather keen fan on the BBC HD channel here in the UK, I am recording a large number of programs.

Whilst the picture and sound quality is excellent, the disc space taken up is rather large, about 8 Gb for an hours program.

What methods are there our there that exist to compress these files (albeit with soem minor reduction in PQ) for archiving, for example on a DVD or another hard drive.

What programs are other using for this?

Adrian

• 3 months later...
As a rather keen fan on the BBC HD channel here in the UK, I am recording a large number of programs.

Whilst the picture and sound quality is excellent, the disc space taken up is rather large, about 8 Gb for an hours program.

What methods are there our there that exist to compress these files (albeit with soem minor reduction in PQ) for archiving, for example on a DVD or another hard drive.

What programs are other using for this?

Adrian

Since you've gotten no responses yet, I'll toss out my recommendation -- I typically use Gui4ffmpeg to convert my captured video to DVD-compliant (standard-definition) 720 x 480 mpeg files. Gui4ffmpeg is capable of producing NTSC (720 x 480) or PAL (720 x 576) formats, and the output quality is good. You can also decrease the file size further by reducing the bitrate or reducing the video resolution down to lower specs (such as half-D1) to enable you to get more shows on a DVD. Probably not the fastest encoder, but it's easy to use, it's FREE, it's reliable, and it turns out good finished quality -- plus, it also has a "batch" function built-in, so you can encode multiple programs at once (enabling you to do the conversions overnight or during "off" program times).

Here's the link:

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/gui4ffmpeg

Hope this helps!

Edited by jbodin

The problem is that BBC HD using h.264 and not MPEG2. So Gui4ffmpeg and the most other Tools will not work.

The second thing is that h.264 is one of the best codec at the moment. So if you like to have smaller files you have to reduce the image quality in the same dimension.

And for Encoding h.264 you need a fast PC and much time.

And i don't know if at the moment there is a toll witch is able to handle this with h.264 video.

I would suggest some Elecard products:

Elecard AVC HD to DV Transcoder, (you could get conversion ready format with this.)

or Converter Studio and its light version Converter Studio AVC HD Edition.

You will find demo versions on Elecard site.

Edited by ricabullah