DVBViewer 3.9 and DVB S2 H.264 Channels

Franky692

Hello,

I'm installed more than one week ago ver. 3.9 on a vista PC and I notice a loss of smoothly on Premiere HD and Discovery HD. I tried different codecs and renders but a the and I thought was vista problem with nVidia Drivers..

Yesterday I switched between 3.8 to 3.9 also on my Win XP and with surprise, same problem, Discovery HD an Premeire HD always perfect with DVBViewer 3.8 now have a sort of slow motion effect even if the speed il normal, a sort of slow judder.

Fortunately I have a BacKUp directory of 3.8 and simply switching the two folder I fix the issue. But this means to give up ver 3.9 new features.

I tried check every single option: same audio/video codecs, same graph (controlled with graphedit) same render, same plugins, same Hardware, but with 3.9 not the same smooth I had in 3.8 with the two channels I reported.

I’m using the configuration in my signature in dual Boot.

Anybody else with the same problem? Any advice?

If need any other information I’m at your disposal.

Edited by Franky692
Hello,

I'm installed more than one week ago ver. 3.9 on a vista PC and I notice a loss of smoothly on Premiere HD and Discovery HD. I tried different codecs and renders but a the and I thought was vista problem with nVidia Drivers..

Yesterday I switched between 3.8 to 3.9 also on my Win XP and with surprise, same problem, Discovery HD an Premeire HD always perfect with DVBViewer 3.8 now have a sort of slow motion effect even if the speed il normal, a sort of slow judder.

Fortunately I have a BacKUp directory of 3.8 and simply switching the two folder I fix the issue. But this means to give up ver 3.9 new features.

I tried check every single option: same audio/video codecs, same graph (controlled with graphedit) same render, same plugins, same Hardware, but with 3.9 not the same smooth I had in 3.8 with the two channels I reported.

I’m using the configuration in my signature in dual Boot.

Anybody else with the same problem? Any advice?

If need any other information I’m at your disposal.

I'm in the same situation.

I'm in the same situation.

Thanks for the anwear!

Can you had more details?

So ít's a problem for everybody I suppose.

Test the problem, it's really simple, it's enough to try with 3.8 and after with 3.9... the HD channels

I had an idea to install 3.9 over 3.8, because if I remove 3.8 through setup, all the DVBViewer dir is deleted. Installing over 3.8 I suppose to keep al the same settings.

But after your post I think I will continue with 3.8 until I don't get any news...

Edited by Franky692
So ít's a problem for everybody I suppose.

No, it's not. Premiere HD is still working here with 3.9. So you both should find out the similarity on your systems. :rolleyes:

No, it's not. Premiere HD is still working here with 3.9. So you both should find out the similarity on your systems. :rolleyes:

I say PremiereHD because it's one of the few channels with a good H.264 signal.

The HW is in my signature. I'm using cyberlink7 h.264 decoder. I tried with Overlay and VMR9....

Same results.

And you ramonchin?

I installed 3.9 over 3.8 without uninstall, also. I kept exactly the same configuration and didn't get any problems. Not even with HD Playback / Live-TV. :rolleyes:

There were some people who had various problems with that, though... Maybe a real fresh install might help (be sure to remove configuration folder, also, and keep a back up, maybe).

There were some people who had various problems with that, though... Maybe a real fresh install might help (be sure to remove configuration folder, also, and keep a back up, maybe).

The vista and the first XP installation on 3.9 was a fresh install and had the problem. Next hours I wil try over 3.8

Are you using VMR??

It only works fluid under Overlay... on my system.

Yes I use VMR9 too and in XP it's smooth. (CPU usage 10%)

Not the same in VISTA where I notice that in both Overlay or VMR9 the hardware acceleration is not used and my CPU (E6420) isn't enought...

Any idea why in VISTA dxva is not used? I suppose this is the cause of the judder because CPU's are often at 100% use.

The Ardware Acceleration option in Cyberlink 7.0 H.264 option is selected.

This night I will post some screen shots...

That's normal. Microsoft only allows DXVA for the EVR in Vista, so there can't be full hardware acceleration for VRM9 or Overlay and DVBViewer doesn't support EVR. So, sadly, you won't have a chance in vista, yet. There is one thing you could try: DVBViewer GE with EVR, that should work good. But it lacks CI support.

Yes I use VMR9 too and in XP it's smooth. (CPU usage 10%)

Not the same in VISTA where I notice that in both Overlay or VMR9 the hardware acceleration is not used and my CPU (E6420) isn't enought...

Any idea why in VISTA dxva is not used? I suppose this is the cause of the judder because CPU's are often at 100% use.

The Ardware Acceleration option in Cyberlink 7.0 H.264 option is selected.

This night I will post some screen shots...

Why do you use vmr9 instead vmr7 ?? For me PQ is the same and vmr7 needs less resources...

Edited by ramonchin
Why do you use vmr9 instead vmr7 ?? For me PQ is the same and vmr7 needs less resources...

only because vmr9 is an evolution of vmr7. But i know tha results are the same

Edited by Franky692
That's normal. Microsoft only allows DXVA for the EVR in Vista, so there can't be full hardware acceleration for VRM9 or Overlay and DVBViewer doesn't support EVR. So, sadly, you won't have a chance in vista, yet. There is one thing you could try: DVBViewer GE with EVR, that should work good. But it lacks CI support.

Thanks for your explenation. DVBViewer Ge as you write, has some lacks with encripted channels!

What you write it's really important: future is Vista and nVidia 8series (half of the world - or ATI).

So if I understand, since DVBViewer developers doesn't want to use EVR we don't have any chance to get nVidia HW Accel in the future. And for H.264 channels the alternative is XP or expensive CPUs

From my point of view this is a really dangerous choice, because the best results with H.264 channels are obtained with HW Acceleration

But you write an inportant "YET", that for me it's a hope!

D3d will allow HW accelleration?

We need some explenations by the developers I think.

Thank You

We need some explenations by the developers I think.

We had those explanations a thosen times. And please guys, stop demanding things. It is really what annoys developers...

D3D engine supports VMR9 Renderless. So a custom presenter has been written for VMR9. This means that the VMR9 allocator is still being used which features the DXVA-API to access a GPU's MPEG-2 decoding and PostProcessing capabilities.

As for Vista and EVR/DXVA 2.0 the D3D engine does not yet feature support. Christian wanted to go for a custom presenter for EVR as well which is similar to the VMR9 Renderless approach but instead uses the EVR framework (therefore using the EVR allocator provided by the decoder developer as required by DXVA 2.0). MPC HC also features an EVR custom presenter, however DXVA 2.0 somehow only works in EVR standard mode. This problem could not be resolved up until now. Problem mainly is a lack of available documenation for the EVR.

EVR standard mode will not be implemented as you are pretty much dependant on Microsoft and graphics cards manufacturers and suffer from various limitations and bugs, just like it is the case with VMR9 standard currently (it is even worse with EVR concerning multiple input pins). Hopefully problems with EVR custom presenter mode will be sorted out and Christian will implement it into his D3D engine.

Edited by CiNcH
We had those explanations a thosen times. And please guys, stop demanding things. It is really what annoys developers...

Thanks for your explanation, and sorry if I annoy developers ;)

But I'd like to have DVBViewer working in Vista too, with my hardware as it works in XP.

As I wrote yesterday, with the hardware in signature and DVBViewer+VISTA, the h.264 channels are smooth for few seconds and after a sort of judder appears.

This night I repaced my E6420 with an E 6600 in OC at 2.5Ghz. Now the CPUs are not at 100% use(like happens with E6420, something less) but the problem is still present.

I tried replacing also DVBViewer directory with the one that in XP works, but with always same result: judder on H.264 material after few seconds (sometime 15-20 other times 2-3-5) from the start of the graph creation.

I tried Overlay and VMR9 renders, Cyberlink H.264 7ver, CoreAVC, MainConcept decoders...

I hope with D3D the vista situation will change :), but till this moment I don't find a DVBViewer+VISTA stable situation, with my hardware.

Bye

Edited by Franky692
As I wrote yesterday, with the hardware in signature and DVBViewer+VISTA, the h.264 channels are smooth for few seconds and after a sort of judder appears.

So you are using CyberLink... this is a bug or an incompatibility with their decoder and the encoder stations are using on Astra 19.2° East. Use MainConcept, this one really works perfectly.

Statement from Christian today:

Yes i know the engine is quite smooth smile.gif Anyway it is a hell of a job to integrate it into the DVBViewer - especially since the OSD is quite comprehensive. DXVA works at this time only with the VMR9 Allocator, but i plan once we started to use the new Render engine at least to add an EVR Allocator. I already translated the headers for, but since the msdn specs are at least for the EVR not that adequate it takes a while.

Christian

Hopefully problems with EVR custom and DXVA 2.0 will be sorted out until then or Christian can solve the problem himself...

So you are using CyberLink... this is a bug or an incompatibility with their decoder and the encoder stations are using on Astra 19.2° East. Use MainConcept, this one really works perfectly.

I use cyberlink too in DVBViewer+XP and in VISTA+MediaPortal with astra 19.2 with any problem. MainConcept need too CPU and also E6600 it's not enought....

Cyberlink H.264 Decoder works for Live-TV only when DXVA is used. -> Vista + DVBViewer + Cyberlink H.264 is a no go. If you disable DXVA in Windows XP, you should see similar problems like in Vista.

Cyberlink H.264 Decoder works for Live-TV only when DXVA is used. -> Vista + DVBViewer + Cyberlink H.264 is a no go. If you disable DXVA in Windows XP, you should see similar problems like in Vista.

Good to know, so This night I will concentrate my tests on Mainconcept and coreAVC decoders. But from what I remenber I had similar problem with coreAVC too. But it's too early to say, because the most of my tests were with cyberlink.

Thanks.

Yes I .

So why do you wonder where the high CPU usage is coming from? Oh no, you don't even wonder, you blame the DVBViewer. Don't think that Christian will implement EVR to give you more CPU time for illegal usage... Think you are on your own now...

Edited by Tjod