Twinhan Mantis initialization

Klaus_1250

I recently tried to upgrade my Twinhan Mantis driver from 1.0.0.80 to 1.1.0.100 (hoping it would solve performance issues), but I was instantly greeted with a BSOD when starting up DVBViewer (STOP 1D Error). Seeing the driver was a beta, I decided to go back to 1.0.0.80. The driver was updated with beta 2 (same version) and now is available in the DigitalTV 3.3 Package (driver + awful TV viewing software).

After trying it again, it worked (!) but it ONLY if I FIRST startup DigitalNow, close it, and then fire up DVBViewer. Starting up DVBViewer directly causes a BSOD.

I am confused however, as to why, but I presume that it has to do how DVBViewer (as of ~3.5.x.x) initializes the card compared to DigitalTV and this exposes a (long standing) bug in the Twinhan Mantis drivers.

Anyone (devs) care to comment about what and why I'm seeing this behavior?

Re-install all drivers.

First mainboard chipset (reboot needed)

Then video (reboot needed)

Then audio (reboot needed)

Then drivers for additional devices (allway reboot after a driver has been installed)

Still problems: look in the event viewer what windows mentions about the error in the log books.

Beta drivers: avoid them better, first try always the standard drivers.

Be sure that the system is not infected with a virus.

anyway, the log books can tell you alot more, post the contents of the error.

No errors in the Logbook, BSODs don't get logged ;-) And the system is stable, with the exception of issues regarding the Mantis. No virusses. Only had three different BSODs so far, one was when the original HD was dying, other was when I updated the graphic drivers (nVidia, common issue) and the other one was a bug in cFos (solved the next day).

Reverting back to 1.0.8.0 solves the issue (but has poor performance when switching between encrypted channels), the last offical drivers (1.0.5.9) are stable but have extremely poor performance with regards to changing encrypted channels and switching transponders/frequencies.

Seeing that first using DigitalTV before DVBViewer also "solves" the issue, it seems to be related to initializing the card. The changelog for the 1.1.0.100 provides this:

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Version:	1.1.0.100
Date:		2007-09-29
Author:		henry
	adams

Comment:	1.ÐÞ¸ÄÇý¶¯ÎÞ·¨Ê¶±ðConaxCAMµÄÎÊÌâ
	  modify driver can not initialize Conax CAM
	2.ÐÞ¸ÄSleep£¨S3/S4£©À¶ÆÁ
	  modify issue System Crashes when system entering sleep
	3.ÐÞ¸ÄÍ£ÓÃÆôÓÃÇý¶¯À¶ÆÁ
	  modify issue system crashes when enable driver

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Version:	1.0.9.0
Date:		2007-09-13
Author:		henry
	adams

Comment:	1.Ð޸IJå°ÎCAM¡¢ÐÝÃßµ¼ÖÂϵͳÀ¶ÆÁ
	  modify issue System Crashes when system entering sleep or CAM inserted
	2.Ôö¼ÓTechniSatµÄPID/VID
	  Add PID/VID for TechniSat
	3.ÐÞ¸ÄÎÞ·¨¶ÁÈ¡AlstonµÄMMIÐÅÏ¢
		  fix issue driver can not read MMI

Appears that the issue is known, but seeing that their fixes made the situation worse in combination with DVBViewer, but not with their own software (DigitalTV), I'm interested in how DVBViewer initializes the card. But without a dev looking or commenting on it, that is going to be difficult.

All BDA cards are initialized the same. there is no special handling of the Mantis per se. Only in CI and DiseqC are handled per cardtype (firedtv, twinhan, TT, knc). Two hardware options do influence the initialization or have impact on it. Stopstream and hasCi. disabling hasCI in the hardware options means no CI is initialized. stopstream runs the bdagraph right after initializing and before tuning. Maybe you try those options for testing. And use the -debug commandline.

I doubt that I have a error in the initializing of the cards oder cams, otherwise the problem would occur on other cards / older drivers. But maybe we can narrow down where the problems occurs and inform azurewave.

I've tried almost every possible setting and configuration by now and there seems to one way to stop DVBViewer/Mantis-driver from BSOD'ing. If I remove the CAM prior to starting DVBViewer, no BSOD's. If I plugin the CAM while DVBViewer is running and turn on the CI-interface in the settings, I'm able to watch encrypted channels, though the first encrypted channel takes up to 30s to start (I take it that removing the CAM causes it to lose all current keys). DVBViewer also seems to startup more fluently, normally there is about a one second freeze of the entire system.

Having the CAM inserted but disabling the CI interface in DVBViewer seems to have little effect, though I did manage to startup DVBViewer once, but it was not reproducible afterwards.

Can't post it here (copyrights and posting beta's when they are not intended to be posted everywhere). There are several members here that do have access to the DigitalRise forums so they might be willing to help out.

Small hint though: DigitalRise updates their DigitalTV package (when will they start using DVBViewer?) with newer drivers once in a while. It doesn't show in the version number or post-date. Last time I checked, DigitalTV included the 1.1.0.100 driver for the Mantis.

Can't post it here (copyrights and posting beta's when they are not intended to be posted everywhere). There are several members here that do have access to the DigitalRise forums so they might be willing to help out.

Small hint though: DigitalRise updates their DigitalTV package (when will they start using DVBViewer?) with newer drivers once in a while. It doesn't show in the version number or post-date. Last time I checked, DigitalTV included the 1.1.0.100 driver for the Mantis.

Thanks! Didn't try the package because of drivers beta status..