Plying .avi files hangs computer

Zero7

I am trying to use DVBViewer as my primary / only one HTPC application. I have huge collection of divx movies with .avi extension. I have the following problems.

1) While playing a file, yellow button does not work if I want to forward the scenes[Edit: It Works.. sorry] . It works on DVDs where I can use the yellow button on remote to jump by X secs / minutes

2) When I try to forward using OK button to bring up the controls and use right button to forward, it forwards by 1.25X, 1.5X and 1.75X with audio also being played together. When I try to play it with the normal speed system hangs and complete system comes to a stand still mode. Only option I have is to kill DVDBViewer using Task Manager or hard reboot the system. To get Task Manager up, it takes huge time after hitting ctrl+alt+del.

3) While Playing one file and if I try to open another file, DVBVeiwer hangs.

Appreciate your replies.

Configuration: Intel Core2Duo E4300, XFX 8500 GT, 2 gb RAM, Gigabyte GA965-G-DS3 MB, WindowsXP Pro MCE with latest updates, Skystar2 PCI and Kworld ATSC-115

Edited by Zero7

try to have a closer look at the graph that is used to play your media files... that one is completely build up from the directshow system... play a file and then have a look at view->filters. There should be all the filters listed, that are used for playback.

A "normal" graph should look like:

- "filename"

- Audio Callback

- ffdshow (or other video decoder, but ffdshow works best for xvid and divx in my tests)

- mp3 decoder (or ogg or something that fits your audio format)

- video renderer (the only thing you can set in options->directx).

If you think there is something wrong, you could try to get rid of it by lowering it's merrit (or deregister / install it)... or you could ask here if anyone had any problems with that filter already.

I just can say that playback of avi files works flawlessly on my htpc system and is one of the things I use most. :)

Guest blu.italia

Ich habe auch ein Problem mit der Wiedergabe von *.avi Dateien. Bild ist super, nur der Sound ist ganz komisch (krizzelig). Woran liegt das?

Edited by blu.italia
Ich habe auch ein Problem mit der Wiedergabe von *.avi Dateien. Bild ist super, nur der Sound ist ganz komisch (krizzelig). Woran liegt das?

1. Ist dein Problem ziemlich anders, als das vom Thread Ersteller.

2. Es ist nicht sehr höflich im englischen Teil auf deutsch zu posten. => ich werd deine Frage auf englisch beantworten:

blu.italia: That's probably because your directshow system loads a "faulty" mp3 decoder (or wathever audio content is in your avi files). Have a look at view->filters (= Ansicht->Filter) and try to indicate which filter is used for the audio part. You can try to click on it and see if there are any settings, you could change and if the help. If they don't, you should use the radligth filter manager to reduce the merrit of that filter, reboot and see if another filter is choosen and does a better job.

Guest blu.italia

@Moses

Sorry Moses, i don't know that. So i try to ask in english. I have change the Audio Renderer from CyberLink Audio Renderer (PDVD7.x) to Lautsprecher (USB-Audiogerät). Now it works with *.avi files. Thank you very much.

I have change the Audio Renderer from CyberLink Audio Renderer (PDVD7.x) to Lautsprecher (USB-Audiogerät). Now it works with *.avi files. Thank you very much.

Better use "DefaultDirectSoundDevice" or a specific DirectSoundDevice... everything else has drawbacks.

I tried with ffdshow and divx codecs. The problem remains and not solved. I will read more on this and try to figure out the solution :bye:

Be sure to control in view->filters that DVBViewer uses the filters, you want him to use! :wacko:

Edited by Moses