DVBviewer crashes, won't restart or shut down

Zeppis

DVBViewer usually works just fine with me, but sometimes it does this:

I start DVBViewer and it brings up the window, but none of the buttons work. Soon it displays itself as "Not Responding". I've tried to end it. It asks me if I want to send an error report to microsoft etc... but it doesn't end! I can minimize it to the taskbar and do "End Task" as many times as I like.

I try to log off my account and Windows has to force explorer.exe to shut down, otherwise it seems normal. I log in again and see DVBViewer still on the taskbar and it still won't shut down (and I can't open another instance of DVBViewer either). I have to shut down Windows completely and even that won't work. It stops at "Windows is shutting down..." and stays there indefinitely so I just have to hold down the powerbutton to force it down.

What could be the cause of this?

Windows XP Home SP2

Sempron 2200+ (1,5GHz)

SiS Mirage integrated graphics (741GX, 32MB shared mem)

512MB DDR RAM @333MHz

ASUS mobo

Pinnacle PCTV 72e USB

DVBViewer usually works just fine with me, but sometimes it does this:

I start DVBViewer and it brings up the window, but none of the buttons work. Soon it displays itself as "Not Responding". I've tried to end it. It asks me if I want to send an error report to microsoft etc... but it doesn't end! I can minimize it to the taskbar and do "End Task" as many times as I like.

I try to log off my account and Windows has to force explorer.exe to shut down, otherwise it seems normal. I log in again and see DVBViewer still on the taskbar and it still won't shut down (and I can't open another instance of DVBViewer either). I have to shut down Windows completely and even that won't work. It stops at "Windows is shutting down..." and stays there indefinitely so I just have to hold down the powerbutton to force it down.

What could be the cause of this?

Windows XP Home SP2

Sempron 2200+ (1,5GHz)

SiS Mirage integrated graphics (741GX, 32MB shared mem)

512MB DDR RAM @333MHz

ASUS mobo

Pinnacle PCTV 72e USB

Are you using some plugin ??

Open the task manager, look if DVBViewer still in zombie state, you can kill it and next you can restart DVBViewer (if removing "some plugin", if exists)

• 2 weeks later...

Nice to hear that somebody else has experienced this problem as well. I've been dealing with it already for a year or so, since some beta-versions. Have asked help a few times with no results or answers. Annoying feature.

It is possible to solve it, or largely reduce the occurence, playing with the hardware option settings : retune on missing stream.

Because I using motor, the same option can help also in this case.

Edited by Dadag
  • 8 months later...

Aug. 2008, the same problem!

I have a Leadtek dtv2000H - Winfast in cable mode and DVBViewer in digital mode do the same thing - the programs freze in cable mode and close unexpectly in digital mode and a provess DVB won't shut down in task manager (DVbTAP.exe for winfast and DVBViewer.exe for DVDViewer)

The first guy say that have a Pinacle card. My card is Leadtek. The conclusion - is a conflict with some plugins, codecs, applications.... Is very hard to say where is the problem..

Anyone has solved the problem?

Edited by Lyvyoo
  • 3 weeks later...
Aug. 2008, the same problem!

I have a Leadtek dtv2000H - Winfast in cable mode and DVBViewer in digital mode do the same thing - the programs freze in cable mode and close unexpectly in digital mode and a provess DVB won't shut down in task manager (DVbTAP.exe for winfast and DVBViewer.exe for DVDViewer)

The first guy say that have a Pinacle card. My card is Leadtek. The conclusion - is a conflict with some plugins, codecs, applications.... Is very hard to say where is the problem..

Anyone has solved the problem?

Same problem here, it is freezes after one hour.

Sempron 2200+

512MB Ram

latest DVBViewer Pro