Audio renderers and codecs

chrispazz

Hello!

I am running quite good with latest version of DVBViewer with S and S2 channels.

The only configuration that for me is a bit "random" is audio section.

I am using a Audiotrak Maya 5.1 with optical output (C-Media 8738) and it is connected to an external amplifier that supports all major sound format (AC3, DTS, ecc..) via optical cable.

I have seen that I can use different codecs for output, standard or AC3 but what I cannot understand is what is changing when I select different audio renderers.

I have Directsounds renderers, direct waveout renderers and Cyberlink audio renderer. What is the best? And which codec is better for standard and AC3?

I am experiencing some issues when whatching HD channels from live: after 10 minutes it stutters for half a second and continue to do so until I make a channel change. This does not happen on SD channels or on recorder HD streams. Video stream instead is always fine.

Sometimes instead when I switch from SD to HD sound is very choppy and I have to rebuild graph or change audio render/codec.

I have tried AC3Filter, FFdshow, Cyberlink, NVidia.....

If someone has a "running good" combination pls write it here.

Thank you

Chris

You should use DirectSoundDevices as AudioRenderer. Other renderers can have very bad impact on some things...

the stuttering is, because something looses sync. That could be caused be a faulty audio renderer (because he is the "timer"), too. Here Cyberlink H.264 Decoder + AC3 Filter are doing a good job. I had this stuttering only with ReClock as AudioRenderer, not with my directsound devices.

Ok, I made a lot of tests.

If I did not use Waveout as audiorenderer, I cannot have audio stream identified as DTS or DD by my receiver.

I tried DirectSound Default and DirectSound: C-Media but no luck.

I have installed Ac3Filter 1.46 but I cannot have it to recognize my SPDIF output. It always say "SPDIF output not supported".

Is a problem about my sound card that is a little old?