Upscaling possibilities

Stevieg_73

Hi all

Is it posible to upscale the TV-resolution from standard TV format to 1080i in DVBV? I´m currently picking the TV-signal via satelite through a FireDTV-S/CI and this unit cannot handle real HD-transmissions but my LCD and hardware can. I know that it is possible to upscale regular DVD to 1080i format so it would be nice if you could do it in DVBV.

Cheers...

Hi all

Is it posible to upscale the TV-resolution from standard TV format to 1080i in DVBV? I´m currently picking the TV-signal via satelite through a FireDTV-S/CI and this unit cannot handle real HD-transmissions but my LCD and hardware can. I know that it is possible to upscale regular DVD to 1080i format so it would be nice if you could do it in DVBV.

Cheers...

Upscaling to 1080i is possible but I see no reason to do that.

After upscaling: the result is still the same or even worse then the original.

Upscaling means also post processing to try to reach a better picture quality in 1080i.

The problem is, You need an extremely fast CPU to post process video in realtime.

DVBViewer does nothing...it's a matter of using a decoder that supports upscaling and then is dvbviewr able to show an upscaled picture.

Be aware that, at least within europe, all HDTV channels will be using DVB-S2 Mpeg4/H264 since it's cheaper to transmit HDTV channels via DVB-S2 and mpeg4 allows higher compression.

DVB-S2 is also great for mpeg2 transmissions limited to PAL/NTSC resolutions.

As menitoned, realtime needs fast processor...ffdshow ore other post processing applications will do the trick

Edited by Benarty
Upscaling to 1080i is possible but I see no reason to do that.

After upscaling: the result is still the same or even worse then the original.

Upscaling means also post processing to try to reach a better picture quality in 1080i.

The problem is, You need an extremely fast CPU to post process video in realtime.

DVBViewer does nothing...it's a matter of using a decoder that supports upscaling and then is dvbviewr able to show an upscaled picture.

Be aware that, at least within europe, all HDTV channels will be using DVB-S2 Mpeg4/H264 since it's cheaper to transmit HDTV channels via DVB-S2 and mpeg4 allows higher compression.

DVB-S2 is also great for mpeg2 transmissions limited to PAL/NTSC resolutions.

As menitoned, realtime needs fast processor...ffdshow ore other post processing applications will do the trick

So technically in DVBV i´ll use a H.264 codec like Cyberlink Power DVD Ultra as a MPEG2 decoder and lets the codec upscale the TV-input to 1080i and hope that my CPU can handle to post process the videostream in realtime?

What i´m talking about is to upscale non HD related material to 1080i and see how it looks. Everybody is talking about how good regular non HD-DVD looks when it´s upscaled to HD-formats like 1080i and want to know if the result is the same as on TV-streams as on DVD.

just set your desktop resolution to 1080i (which is 1920 x 1080 in 50hz or 60hz interlaced) and run DVBViewer in fullscreen.... you can even try to use ffdshow as decoder or postprocessor (you'll need a plugin for that) which offers some more advanced upscaling options.

There is no need for H.264, it's just another compression.... the better image quality is because of the higher resolution. Of course the 720x576 resolution (or whatever) is what is transmitted, but if your HDTV sucks a bit and has no proper hardware to scale it to the resolution of the display (1920x1080 for full HDTVs), then it's often better to let the PC or a HDTV-Reciever do the upscaling.

Ok, so what is the difference between using FFDshow as decoder or postprocessor ?? I only want to use FFDshow to enhance the picturequality (and maybe use the FFdshow in DVBV for playing and enhancing .avi movies) because i can´t get .avi to work in DVBV ( abit OT, i know)

Has somebody tried FFdshow in DVBV ??

as decoder: ffdshow uses it's MPEG2 Decoder, as postprocessor: some other decoder decodes MPEG2 (not in hardware!) and ffdshow processes the raw picture stream. Makes not that much difference, if you ask me. You shouldn't enable too many "enhancementes" in ffdshow, though, because it will get slower and slower... for example when changing channel it can take a while.

ffdshow is good for avi, includes many decoders. :bye:

• 1 month later...

Im running latest DVBViewer with the latest FFDShow Tryout as a decoder. I was using some ffdshow filters (resize etc) for DVDs and to my surprise noticed that they work also very well with DVBViewer.

Now I'm upscaling 720x576 to my TV:s native 1360x768 with some deinterlacing and it works as smooth as with no post processing. FFDShow OSD reports cpu load ~50% and there is absolutely no problems whan changing channels or anything.

My machine is A64 X2 3800+ (s939) with a gig of ram and two Terratec Cinergy 1200 DVB-C cards.

How can I set FFDShow as the postprocessor and not the decoder? I like it's extra processing capabilities. But I have better decoders than what are available in FFDShow (PowerDVD seems to be one of the best).

Where is the setting for postprocessign? I didn't catch it in the settings, is it a plug-in capability?