Which video codec for this configuration ?

rio9210

Hi everybody, my question is : which is the best video codec for this configuration ?

[*]Core2 Duo 6600 (2,4GHz@3,0GHz)

[*]Asus LD2 motherboard

[*]2GB DDR2 800MHz RAM (run at 667MHz for overclocking limitation)

[*]Geforce 8600GT 256MB PCIe graphic card (Zotac brand)

[*]Technisat Skystar2 PCI DVB-S card

[*]500GB Western Digital Sata2 disk

[*]integrated audio (on moterboard)

[*]40" Samsung LCD TV

[*]mouse, keyboard, etc

Mainly we're watching TV (non HD, at moment, but in the future...) and occasionally play games (not king-of-frag style ). Should I consider an ATI videocard (Radeon 2600, for example ?) ? Or nVidia card is just fine ? I've heard that Ati cards are better for video, while nVidia's is best at games.

Thank you in advance for your advices.

FLO

Hi everybody, my question is : which is the best video codec for this configuration ?

[*]Asus LD2 motherboard

[*]40" Samsung LCD TV

[*]mouse, keyboard, etc

Mainly we're watching TV (non HD, at moment, but in the future...) and occasionally play games (not king-of-frag style ). Should I consider an ATI videocard (Radeon 2600, for example ?) ? Or nVidia card is just fine ? I've heard that Ati cards are better for video, while nVidia's is best at games.

FLO

There are many but I would use Cyberlink Power Cinema (PCM45) codecs - from Power Cinema - also good for H.264. Above all if you are going to use DVBViewer for TV broadcasting - either SD or HD.

nVidia Pure Video and Cyberlink PDVD 7.3 Ultra are also good but not on DVBViewer, according to my experience.

Cheers

[*]Asus LD2 motherboard

[*]40" Samsung LCD TV

[*]mouse, keyboard, etc

FLO

I use one ATI HD2600XT (Sapphire), his drivers Catalyst 8.1 and PowerDVD Ultra 7.3, working very well in SD and HD (TT 3200 S2).

In more the ATI 2600 card have internal digital audio interface who enable to transfert PCM (stereo/mono), AC3,... via DVI/HDMI adaptor furnished.

I still use XP SP2, because Vista seem not too stable for PCHC.

• 2 weeks later...

For DADAG: These days I had one hd2600pro on my hands, after three days I can say surely that nvidia card works better - quality, no flaws, compatibility. And when I attached the PC to the TV with HDMI cable, I put the PC in standby but the TV didn't understand that it had to do the same. Pretty annoying, because my intention is to "eliminate" the TV remote control and use only the iMon's one. So I'll stay with nvidia and PowerDVD Ultra 7.3.

For MABRUK: Power Cinema is a dinosaur, for a such request of system resources I pretend EVERYTHING, and for everything I mean even the management of the DVB-T-analog (and FM radio) card I have inside of the PC (Terratec HT PCI) but unfortunately it only manage one card. Plus I had randomly crashes, and the general impression about Power Cinema was "How a thing can be great but it isn't". The best solution seems nvidia Pure video in overlay mode, however Cyberlink codec works flawlessly in h264 mode. What kind of problems did you have with nvidia and DVBViewer ?