3.9.2 recording bug

mr_chaela

If you scheduling three recording three files are correct.

Describing the production of three (or 4 if granny is also using this feature ;) ) identical copies as correct, it can imho only mean that the thread starter described the problem correctly :)

All copies are written to the same location, so some mechanism to reduce this crap should be in place.

All copies are written to the same location, so some mechanism to reduce this crap should be in place.

Agree entirely, wouldn't have thought it beyond the obvious skills of the DVBViewer team to include a little routine whereby subsequent requests to record the same program simply overwrite the original (in case the start and finish overlap times have been changed). Would save a lot of disk space and save the family from having to leave post-it notes on the screen in case somebody else sets the recording.

Perhaps I need to put this in the feature request section. :)

whereby subsequent requests to record the same program simply overwrite the original (in case the start and finish overlap times have been changed).

Here we have the first conflict. I don't like DVBViewer to overwrite an existing timer programming with a different overlap time. Because sometimes I add addition overlap time (e.g. in case of live transmissons directly before the recorded film). This would than be overwritten by any other family member.

If you want to do such things, you have to deal with user management and priorities.

Maybe I would agree to skip timer entries that are 100% identically. But in general I don't like software that tries to be more smartly than me. I prefere to delete the addition copies manually.

Edited by dgdg
... Because sometimes I add addition overlap time (e.g. in case of live transmissons directly before the recorded film). This would than be overwritten by any other family member.

A simple pop-up with the message 'Scheduled recording exists. Overwrite Y/N?' would solve that one, Other members of the family are instructed to always answer No.

But I do concede that only overwriting identical entries would solve the problem for a majority of users. However, such a pop-up is no more complex than the 'extended exit' or the 'resume playback or start over' pop-ups.

Edited by mr_chaela
A simple pop-up with the message 'Scheduled recording exists. Overwrite Y/N?' would solve that one

So please tell us: Under which conditions shall two scheduled recordings be regarded as equal?

There are at least eight properties assigned to each scheduled recording (channel ID, start time, end time, description, shutdown type, action type, auto-repeat days, enabled/disabled). Which must be equal, which not?

Think about it carefully, and consider all possible eventualities, because we will redirect all user complaints to you <_<

I would think something like:

IF

__schedule event exists AND everything identical

THEN

__ignore

would do the trick with no user intervention - after all, who would want to create multiple copies of the same file.

Edited by mr_chaela