CPU Load Jumps from 40% -> 80% -> 100%

pinnaclebruker

Hi,

I am using the latest version of DVBViwer 3.9.2 with the latest CoreAVC Pro 1.6.5 H.264 codec to wathch live TV in Norway.

When I start to watch live tv, the CPU load is at around 40% and it stays like this for about 20 - 25 minutes

Then suddenly the CPU load doubles, to about 80%. On the graph it just steps up to double. The picture and sound are still OK

Then after about another 20 mins the CPU load maxes out at 100%, picture and sound still OK but hangs from time to time.

I am not running other programs.

I have no idea what exactly is causing this, when I look at the running processes it shows DVBViewer taking all CPU load but it could be the codec...

Any suggestions?

I am runnning Win XP Pro, SP2, Intel Pentium 4, 2,4 GHz, 1 GB RAM

I see there hasn't been an avalanche of responses to this... :unsure:

Some more info to help:

- Its still happening with Norwegian open DVB-T channels (H.264/AVC video, HE-AAC audio)

- It also happens with an Arcsoft H264 codec so I do not think this is specific to CoreAVC

- It does not happen when I listen to radio channels with DVBViewer :D

I have also used Everest Home Edition (freeware) to generate a report of anything and everything about the machine, see attached file. Maybe worth recommending for bug reports..

I am using a Pinnacle PCTV Hybrid Pro USB stick, model nr. 330e

Driver info: Pinnacle Systems BDA Driver 330e, Date 03.08.2007, Version 5.7.803

Graphics SIS M650, SIS Driver Date 09.03.2006 Version 6.14.10.3730

OK you can maybe say my PC is underpowered for DVBViewer, but the fact that it runs 10-20 minutes without a problem at around 40% CPU load leads me to believe this is an issue which can be solved...

Need More info???

Report.zip

Some more info...

Last night I did some more tests.

I unregistered the audio wrapper and viewed tv with just video, no audio, and the CPU load reacted the same as earlier, starts off at 40% then suddenly jumps to 80-100% after 15 mins viewing.

Then I reregistered the wrapper and tried unregistering CoreAVC Pro and to see what happened...

I got no picture, so it seems like my othe h264 codec does not work and actually even though it was selected the PC defaulted to using CoreAVC. (I did not have CoreAVC set to 'prefered decoder'). And of course the CPU loading was very low..

In other words, it definitely looks like the problem is at least related to the CoreAVC codec, if not 100%, then it could be some sort of interaction between programs. Does anyone know how I can monitor how much CPU power the codec is taking? At the moment all I can get a reading on is DVBViewer but I cannot look deeper into it.

I will post a query on the CoreAVC forum and see where this takes me...