List of MPEG2 video decoders is incomplete

When I select <System Default> for MPEG2 video decoder on my mum's laptop, I get one which is not in the list - Nero Video Decoder version 2,0,2,0 dated 6 August 2004. I think it was installed as part of Nero 6.

GE and normal DVBViewer behave the same way, so I'm attaching support.zip from GE because it's smaller. I'm also attaching a filmerit report (it's rather long - search for "Nero Video Decoder"). Note that the Nero decoder is not listed in the "MPEG2 Video Decoders" section of Systeminfo.txt (in support.zip).

I can think of no easy way to test this, but the same bug might apply to the enumeration of decoders for H.264, and audio (MPEG, AC3 and AAC).

There is another thing which bothers me about decoder selection. Perhaps this should be a separate topic, but: On my main desktop machine I have tried many TV programs and consequently have 34 MPEG2 video decoders (or possibly more! - 34 are listed by DVBViewer). Many have the same title, so selecting one using the combo box, it is impossible to distinguish between versions of the same filter (eg. many are called "CyberLink Video/SP Decoder" but are actually different versions of it). A nice solution would be to add a "..." button which would bring up a listview to select a decoder, with many columns of information about each - at least version number and last-modified date.

support.zip

filmerit_report.zip