Possible improvements

dagfredr

I now have a working system receiving on the Norwegian DVB-T network (NTV).

I am using a Hauppauge HVR900 USB-stick, and had quite a few start up problems

NTV uses H.264/MPEG-4 AVC. This is not very obvious to a user, so it might be an idea to make this information available to users when installing the DVBViewer.

So the thing is that it is necessary to install a H.264 Video Decoder that supports H.264/MPEG-4 AVC.

I landed on the Cyberlink Decoder. This is available in PowerDVD 7 Deluxe or Ultra. Note that it is not available in the standard version.

Before I got the system working, I got soem pretty cryptic errormessages that perhaps could be made more available to the users, perhaps a more readable interpretation could be made available in the DVBViewer help so that the user does not have to stumble around on the user forum searcing for an answer.

The first errormessage I got was:

"Cannot render mediafile/output pin, error: 0x80040200 (Speciefied media type is invalid)"

This actually was a message that the H.264 codec was not able to decode the media stream. I was then trying to use the FFDSHOW freeware codec (gave me a blurred picture and no sound - also with the libfaad2 Wrapper)

Then I installed a trialware LEAD264 codec. I gave me a perfect picture but no sound. Using this codec gave me a message: "error 0X800402002, No support for this interface", which seems to actually mean that the video codec part of the codec works, but the sound interface is not supported.

So maybe some of these errormessages should be made more available in the help system

• 3 weeks later...

I fully support you dagfredr, it has been a struggle getting the DVB-T up and running due to H.264 and AAC format. The error messagse showing up was not easy to understand. I also probably ended up with the same decoder, but from the PowerCinema package that was bundled with my card (WinTV-HVR-4000). I'm just now struggling with the ffdshow decoder which at the moment doesn't work as expected together with DBViewer (two third of the scrren is blury).

Another important thing is the AAC audio decoder, I have used the AAC decoder from ffdshow found in CCCP.

I still also have an issue with the switching between DVB-T and coded DVB-S channels. I can switch from a coded DVB-S channel to a free DVB-T, but when I switch back again the screen goes black. If I switch to a free DVB-S channel and then back to a scrambled DVB-S channel it usually works. I'm using a WinTV-CI with a conax CAM and a Canal Digital subscriber card.

Rgds

DolKbg