Questions

SimonP

I'm not even a newbie yet but since I cannot try this program before buying it (very disappointing and annoying), I have some questions. I am in the UK, I want to record DVB-T and subtitles are a must.

* Does it support multiple tuners? I have an Azureware TU700 dual tuner DVB-T dongle which works in the Transedit demo and I want to at least be able to use both tuners and maybe a second device too.

* If so, could I also install a WinTV Nova-T USB dongle as a third tuner?

* Has anyone tried it with the Nebula DigiTV (PCI) card? If so, is it possible to use its remote control?

* I have seen mentions of DVBserver. Does this mean that it can be used as a back-end and then have several DVBViewer clients on other computers able to control as many tuners as are available?

* Is there the facility for "series" recordings - i.e. you tell it to record all instances of 'Doctor Who' and it does it automatically? Otherwise, how would you programme it 2+ weeks ahead?

* Are DVB subtitles working perfectly now? I'm very hard of hearing and they are essential for me, both for live viewing and recorded programmes.

* Does anyone know a way of editing the video files produced without losing the subtitles? I know that ProjectX can do it but it can't edit to frame level so it's too rough. I use VideoReDo normally and I know they're working on it but I gave up holding my breath a long time ago.

I really do think that it's a big mistake not having a time-limited demo version available; user interface, reliability, compatibility, available facilities, etc. are very important and, although I've heard many good reports about DVBv, it's not the same as actually trying it out to see if you like it or not. Is there even a money-back offer if you're not satisfied? I'd be happy to go ahead and buy it if I knew that I could get a refund if I didn't like it but I'm not working at the moment and can't afford to waste the money if it's not suitable for my requirements (I've tried most of the other HTPC programs and none of them do everything I need so I'm not even hopeful that DVBv will do so but I'd love to try it to find out for myself).

Thanks in advance,

Simon.

Hardware that is recognized by Transedit MMC will work with the DVBViewer.

Multiple tuner are supported by the dvbv locally as well in a client/server config.

Editing dvb streams ist not part of the DVBViewer. You'll find tools and howto's galore in the web..

DVBViewer just costs 15€ and the search function of this board is even for free :bye:

* Is there the facility for "series" recordings
Yes with EPGplus plugin
* Are DVB subtitles working perfectly now?
I would say yes, at least in Finland
* Does anyone know a way of editing the video files produced without losing the subtitles?
I thing that ProjectX (+ DVD authoring sofware compination) is the only one at the moment

I have a need for subtitles and can relate to the frustration in seeking good software in this respect.

DVBViewer is the best that I have found and the subtitles work perfectly for both live and recorded TV in Australia. Well worth the nominal fee.

To edit recorded standard definition .ts files and maintain subtitles I use the following, in sequence:

ProjectX to demux and extract subtiles in .srt >

Subtitle workshop to fix anomalies in the subtitles file .srt >

GUI for DVDAuthor to remux the streams into DVD structure >

Nero Recode (in remake a DVD mode) to stitch together all the scenes that you want to keep to make up your DVD.

To edit recorded standard definition .ts files and maintain subtitles I use the following, in sequence:
Also:

ProjectX=>DVDAuthorGui (DVB subtitles as *.sup, colours adjusted in DVDAuthorGui)=>normal burning with Nero (Audio_TS and Video_TS folders created by DVDAuthotGui)

Many thanks for the help and suggestions, guys, I'm convinced and have paid up, just waiting for the login details but as it's Easter weekend I may have to wait a while.

I'll report back soon but I'm feeling very optimistic now :(

I guess I'm officially a newbie now and I have to say, I am very pleased with DVBViewer. I was a bit apprehensive buying it blind but it seems to do all the important things I need and, after a couple of days use, I must agree that it's the best out there :)

I do have a couple of problems and questions (of course) so I hope someone will be able to help.

* As I said above, I have an Azurewave (Twinham I believe?) TU700 twin tuner USB dongle but DVBserver only sees one of the tuners. I used it with the same drivers in Media Portal and it saw both so I don't think there's anything wrong with the device or drivers, any ideas? Do I somehow have to install a second driver for it, although it is shown in Device Manager as a single dual tuner?

* How do I make it start up in HTPC mode? I'm going to be installing it in my HTPC and using remote control exclusively. I have mapped the function to a key but I'd prefer that it started that way automatically.

* In the EPG, selecting "Send to PVR" using the mouse's right-click doesn't always work. Ctrl-R does work reliably.

* Having set a programme to record, how do you stop it from recording - ideally through the OSD interface?

* Has anyone made an MCE2005 or similar skin? For all its shortcomings it is one of the nicer interfaces and I'll be using MCE remotes to control DVBv. I haven't come across a screen with examples of the available skins and don't want to install each one to see what they look like.

* I'm in the UK and have played with the 'favourites' function but I'd rather have the channels in the normal order for the UK with their usual channel numbers. It looks as if I can do that by moving them in the channel list so that they are in the correct order in a folder other than 'Video' and 'Audio' or the broadcaster's sub-folder but that seems messy and I can't see how to change the number so that it conforms to the standad channel numbering.

* I want the final installation of DVBserver + one instance of DVBViewer to run under Win2003 Server. I'm testing it on XP Pro but does anyone have it running happily on W2K3S?

Other than that I'm very pleased. It is a little prone to crashing if you try to do a lot of things one after another and I've already had one recording where the subs were showing a "screen" before the spoken words but I'm using DVBserver with several DVBViewer clients very successfully and once I finish tweaking and getting used to it I think I am going to be very happy. I do need that dual tuner problem sorting out though so I hope someone will have an answer to that.

Thanks in advance for the assistance from the community and be assured that once I am comfortable with it myself, I will be a regular here and will try to help out as well.

Simon.