Restructuring the way to handle the dvb-tuners

Phjort

Would it be possible to adopt a similar way to handle dvb-tuners as for example Media portal has? I mean that there would be a separate server part that just handles the tuners (perhaps a windows service) and then the client part that requests the videostreams from the server. This way we could get more reliable recordings (closing the client wouldn't stop the recording as it might do now) and be able to serve video to several clients at once. I know there are plugins that achieve most of these things but none of them do all of these.

Making such a tv-server component which would integrate all these features as standard would make the already great DVBViewer even better I think.

Damn.. Ofcourse I inadvertently posted this thread on the wrong forum. I meant to put this to the feature requests section.

I'm using DVBViewer on my htpc as the dvb-program. In my oppinion DVBV is currently the best program to use with Digital television tuners on the windows platform. But aside from that I am having problems with timed recordings being cut to many files because I've had to start DVBViewer during the recording. The same happens if a recording begins while watching live tv and then DVBViewer is shut down before the recording ends.

Ofcourse I could keep DVBViewer running all the time to do the recordings but that would cause a whole lot of other problems on my htpc. The recording software should be separate from the viewer and not to be disturbed by closing or starting the viewer or any other program.

Would it be possible to extend the recording service so that DVBV could use the dvb-cards through the service and the service could run all the time doing all the recordings regardless of what the viewer does or does not do.

Could a moderator please move this thread to the correct forum?

• 2 weeks later...

I agree. If the 'server' box with the tuners handled all the recording as MP does, it would be a great improvement. I'm sure I'll find that I'll set up a recording on a client computer and later shut it down without thinking and I'll miss the recording.

• 2 weeks later...
I agree. If the 'server' box with the tuners handled all the recording as MP does, it would be a great improvement. I'm sure I'll find that I'll set up a recording on a client computer and later shut it down without thinking and I'll miss the recording.

I agree that adding a recording service to the current dvbserver fuction, through the current casting devices, would be a great improvement. The recording on the client side for non-casting devices would stay in place.

Eppo

Since my earlier reply I have started using DVB Web Scheduler which does this perfectly. It has an HTTP interface so you can set a recording from anywhere in the world and it has been extremely reliable for me so far. TS-Mux mode records the full TS for the selected channel so it includes subtitles, audio streams, etc. You can set DVBViewer as the default viewer so that you browse your recordings in DVB WS, click 'play' and it fires up DVBv and plays it. There are two inferface modes, the "keyboard' interface can be driven by a remote control so it can be made to integrate quite well.

• 1 month later...

I endorse this client/server approach too. Rec service is step to right direction, but it would be even better if it would stay on whether or not DVBViewer is running. Automatic stopping is currently its single biggest constraint. Also, I would like to see low bitrate streaming feature in Rec service, just like in Web frontend, but with added capability to stream both live transmission and recorded files.

So make DVBViewer to be only light weight front end with OSD, EPG, recording and media playing features, and let the service do all the hard work in the background (that's exactly why Windows has services in the first place!). DVBViewer would then receive full bitrate stream from server component just like any other client in same ip-network.