Crash on poor DVB-T reception

smboards

I am using DVBV to watch DVB-T programs using HP Pavilion with built-in BDA tuner (I have still not found out exact model but it is shown in DVBV as 713x BDA Device). Some of the programs I watch tend to have poor reception time to time because of meteorological reasons (actually too good transmission resulting in recieving several transmitters on same MUX from different locations). Anyway, when I have a situation when I am tuned to a channel with very poor reception then DVBV temporarily freezes or crashes. By freezing I mean that for example on-screen clock stops updating itself for several seconds and at the same time OSD is unresponsive. Crashes that occur are either just DVBV becoming terminally unresponsive or even compter getting blue screen of death and restarting. First condition is even more annoying because for some reason I can not end DVBV task under Vista when it hangs. It just won't respond to End Task and only way to get rid of hung DVBViewer is to restart the computer. I admit that that is more of a Vista problem than application problem.

So, my question is if this instability in poor reception conditions (read: datastream full of errors) is actual problem of DVBViewer or should I start switching codecs etc. The crash ALMOST always occurs with FTA MPEG2 channels.

It seems that I found the solution after some more BSOD crashes. BTW updating Nvidia and tuner drivers and playing around with codecs did not help.

I noticed from the blue screen that offending module was usually ks.sys. Some googling revealed that this module is related to hyperthreading and frequently causes problems for users during some kind of video playback. So I enabled DVBV option "use only first cpu" and since then I have managed to handle poor reception conditions without crashing. I hope that is a permanent solution.

On the other matter - DVBV being unresponsive - I noticed that I had selected the option to retune on missing stream after 1s. I increased the delay to 5s and things got better, it seems that DVBV can't do much anything else while trying to tune to a channel.