Problem with HD and renderer's

Ronski

I installed DVBViewer a few days ago and whilst all SD channels work fine I am having problems with HD. The picture does not scale to the window size correctly, Luxe HD & ITV HD will both fill the sceen in full screen mode, BBC HD just appears as a narrow band across the screen when in full screen mode.

Now if I run DVBViewer in Windowed mode I get varying shapes of picture, as I drag the corner out in a diagonal direction the picture will go from a narrow tall band to a normal picture size and then to a thin long band, it does this on all HD channels and varies depending on window size. SD scales correctly.

I have only been able to get a picture using Core AVC Codec (1.7.0.0) and using the Vista Enhanced Video Renderer, any other renderer results in no picture (SD or HD). I did on one occasion yesterday manage to get BBC HD working fine on another renderer, but tried today and it had stoped working so had to switch back to the Vista one. I have tried FFDShow, but that crashes and Intervideo Decoder as I have Win DVD 9 Blu Ray, but that results in no picture.

I've spent some time searching the forum, but have not found any info, I have also tried altering the aspect ratio, but that makes no real difference.

Any idea's please?

TV Card:BlackGold BGT3540 :: 6 in 1 :: Dual digital satellite, Dual digital terrestrial, Dual analogue terrestrial :: PCI express card. Driver Version: 6.0.0.25

Intel® Desktop Board DG965OT based on the Intel® G965 Express Chipset

Powercolor HD3650 using Catalyst 8.4 drivers

support.zip

An update.

On occasion I have found that selecting another renderer will work and BBC HD fills the screen no problem, when it does work I get a message that Windows has changed the display to basic or something like that. I have tried setting Vista to Vista Basic but it makes no difference, the majority of the time the only renderer that will display a picture is the Vista Enhanced one, and this does not work with BBC HD full screen, this is what I get.

BBC%20HD%20-%20Vista%20Enhanced%20Ful%20Screen.jpg

Well this behaviour seems very unpredictable, if I swap around codecs and/or renderers then I can get it working. Although even just pausing a recording and then switching to another program and back caused it to stop working, I then had to muck about changing them again and this lost my timeshift recording!

And I must say that I very disappointed with the level of suport - a complete lack of! I've even emailed the author and had no reply! I cant wait for Fiji to come out! Or even the new BlackGold tunner application.

My mediacenter is based on:

Intel T2500 processor dual core 2Ghz

1MB DDR ram

Gigabyte I-ram 4GB that contains windowsXP pro, drivers, cyberlink powerDVD ultra, DVBViewer, .NET3.0 and original ATI driver.

Two floppy DTV: DVB-S/CI and DVB)S2/CI

Fanless ATX PSU 300W

120GB 2inch harddisk

ATI HD3470 video card 256MB DDR3 videoram.

This system has no problem to rescale HD channels to SD format , good because I have no HD Ready TV at this moment.

But, I need to activate the Nvidia fix and enable auto video /audio detection or no image at all.

Edited by Benarty
But, I need to activate the Nvidia fix and enable auto video /audio detection or no image at all.

Are you suggesting this is something I need to do, if so what is it?

• 2 weeks later...
Are you suggesting this is something I need to do, if so what is it?

The problem is almost certainly in your system. It is a formidable task to track it down. It could be your screen, your video card, your drivers, your decoders and selection of settings/renderers in DVBViewer and Vista, and possibly conflicts with other software in your system. You have to do the work to sort it out.

There is no problem with DVBViewer because if you get all the other stuff right it works perfectly. It gives you the ability to select the settings that will work with your system.

The problem is almost certainly in your system. It is a formidable task to track it down. It could be your screen, your video card, your drivers, your decoders and selection of settings/renderers in DVBViewer and Vista, and possibly conflicts with other software in your system. You have to do the work to sort it out.

There is no problem with DVBViewer because if you get all the other stuff right it works perfectly. It gives you the ability to select the settings that will work with your system.

Finally a reply, but it states the obvious unfortunately! Oh and in my opinion there is a problem with DVBViewer! I don't expect someone to come round and fix it for me, but some more useful info as to where the problems lies would be very helpful, I've followed all the requirements for getting technical support, I've paid my money for the software and now I need some help, I get virtually nothing!

I've tried various combinations of renderers/decoders, aspect ratio auto/manual etc. but the problem just seems random, some times it works other times it does not.

I’ve tried the following codecs, FFDShow, CoreAVC and Intervideo.

I’ve now installed the latest Catalyst drivers 8.5, hopefully that will make a difference, but I doubt it. I see theres a new version of DVBViewer, I'll give that a go as well.

Sorry for the rant but what I would like is some constructive help please!

Edited by Ronski

Did you install the intel graphics drivers sometime? Maybe they have broken something in your system...

For me the 3650 works perfecty (only used CAT 8.5 so far). I am mostly using CyberLink H.264 decoder however.

Also disable ATi-Tray-Tools (if you have them installed). They also sometimes have some weird effects on things...

This is the place where you get support. And if there is no response, nobody has an idea. Hope you will be happier with Fiji. I am sure that you will have less problems and otherwise can count on MS support :( .

You know what happens if everybody here asks the author for support? Requires a 48 hour day without additional developments requested by others... That's why we have this community.

Edited by CiNcH

Thank you for your reply.

Did you install the intel graphics drivers sometime? Maybe they have broken something in your system...

I don't have any Intel graphics drivers installed, I did a fresh install of Vista when I installed the HD 3650 and the on board graphics was disabled.

For me the 3650 works perfecty (only used CAT 8.5 so far). I am mostly using CyberLink H.264 decoder however.

I do have a copy of Cyberlink software that came with my BD player, I install that and give it a go.

Also disable ATi-Tray-Tools (if you have them installed). They also sometimes have some weird effects on things...

I gave that a go and it did not make any difference.

This is the place where you get support. And if there is no response, nobody has an idea. Hope you will be happier with Fiji. I am sure that you will have less problems and otherwise can count on MS support :( .

You know what happens if everybody here asks the author for support? Requires a 48 hour day without additional developments requested by others... That's why we have this community.

Whilst I accept time is short, surely supporting users having problems should take priority over adding new features? Is it really asking to much for some support from the author, after all he's the one who knows his program best, even if he had just acknoledged my email or this thread would have been nice.

I've be unable to download the latest version as the main website is down at the moment - probably due to demand.

Once again, thank you for your suggestions.

Is it really asking to much for some support from the author, after all he's the one who knows his program best, even if he had just acknoledged my email or this thread would have been nice.

The author receives hundrets of mails a day. Think he could fill a job with mail support. That is why others have support centers and charge a lot more money for their products...

You will be suprised to know that after installing the latest version of DVBViewer the problem appears to have stopped happening, funny that isn't it!

And no I did not change anything else, I was very careful not to.

Well, quite some thing change for EVR and aspect handling. Funny however, that others did not suffer from that problem...

Well, quite some thing change for EVR and aspect handling. Funny however, that others did not suffer from that problem...

Yes it is odd that others did not suffer the exact same problem (but thats the nature of computers), my system was a fresh install with up to date drivers and codecs etc. Altough I have seen many other posts with similiar problems, you've even posted in some of them.....

Edited by Ronski

I've seen similar problems (incorrect aspect ratio and video-size) when using ATi's MPEG decoders (8.5 on a 3850 AGP) and VMR. The VMR fix solved the issue, but the Cyberlink H264 decoder performs better and does not need the VMR-fix. The ATi MPEG decoders also use much more CPU on h264 HDTV (wondering if they even use full hardware acceleration).

Edited by Klaus_1250
  • 1 month later...

I'm still having this problem with HD, but if I record a program and then play it back using Media Player 11 it plays back no problem, now Media Player is using FFDShow and Haali Media Splitter to play the TS file - I get the icons in the system tray.

If I play the same file in DVBViewer then I get the squashed picture, this is using Core AVC codec, if I use Intervideo or FFDShow then it crashes with an error Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library. This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.

Any useful idea's please?

Edit:Occasionally after switching renderers and codecs it does work properly, it's just gone full screen, but it won't last next time I use it.

Edited by Ronski